Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Condensation  (Read 6649 times)

yort4041

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHRSE3 Black Ice
    • CVO2: Big Dog PitBull
Condensation
« on: February 22, 2008, 01:46:19 PM »

Today I uncovered my bike pretty eary in the morning and discovered the cover was damp and the bike had a little condensation on it. I live in an old house here in New Orleans and the garage is detached and not at all "air tight"
Does anyone have a reccomendation for keeping it dry? I saw the Harley Bubbles. Look kinda funny, but if they work its okay with me.
One last question, the bubbles stay plugged in. Is this costly on your electric bill? Thanks for any help.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: Condensation
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 01:48:46 PM »

Try a dehumidifier. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hogasm

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 02:05:10 PM »

Bubbles don't require alot of electricity. Need to be careful not to poke a hole in it.

A dehumidifier uses more electricity but will keep the whole garage dry.  You will need to keep an eye on the dehumidifier. The reservoir will need to be dumped regularly or plumb it to the outdoors.

The Mysterious Q!

• Keep the shiny side up and ride it like you stole it.
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • This town needs an enema!
    • CT
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 02:07:36 PM »

I have a similar problem with my cloth cover. I put it on the scoot always and after I ride I put it on before bed and if the scoot is a little warm it still goes on. And on a humid day as soon as the cover comes off it gets all wet til you warm it up. I may get a breathable cover and see if that helps. Later,Q
When I grow up I want to be a SEEG 2002 FLHRSEI Rineharts Wild1 Apes Beaucoup Chrome Corbin Seat Wimmer Billet Breather and Spike Filter Beautiful Billet Power Commander PCIII USB LED Skull Horn Cover Skull everything Lyndall Z Pads Xtreme Machine Shredder 18's Metzeler ME 880's Xtra Lights HID

BayouBiker

• Patriot Guard - HOG - ABATE
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Cherry Jester 110"
    • CVO2: '99 FXDWG 96"
    • CVO3: 'BSR'
    • photos by Tiki Tom
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 02:19:29 PM »

Today I uncovered my bike pretty eary in the morning and discovered the cover was damp and the bike had a little condensation on it. I live in an old house here in New Orleans and the garage is detached and not at all "air tight"
Does anyone have a reccomendation for keeping it dry? I saw the Harley Bubbles. Look kinda funny, but if they work its okay with me.
One last question, the bubbles stay plugged in. Is this costly on your electric bill? Thanks for any help.

I'm in NOLA-(504) also...
The condensation is impossible to eliminate...
If you got the 'Bubble', when you go to take your bike out, it would still accumulate the condensation.
We've got 3 bikes and have tried everything to combat this issue.

The amount of humidity here is too high to have anything make a difference once you get the bike out of a dry, covered area into the ambient air.
The only time I didn't get the condensation is when I left the bike out uncovered, but under a carport. When your garage is closed it still keeps the humidity level lower than outside air. You could try leaving the door open overnight once (depending on your location in the city) & see if it makes a difference.
When I get the bikes out, I let 'em sit for awhile and it usually dries without leaving waterspots.

PM me if ya want to meet up in the Quarter by Johnny White's sometime...  :drink:
Live - Love - Ride
         :-*

Guardian Angels are everywhere! When they don't have wings, I call them friends.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 03:09:48 PM »

Park your bike on a thick rubber mat, it will help the moisture from rising out of the concrete.

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 04:35:49 PM »

When we lived on the coast in NC (veeeeeeery high humidity as hogasm will testify) I ran a dehumidifier and a couple of smaller oscillating fans 24/7.  Did a great job and no problems with condensation after that.  Be sure and get a good dehumidifer (I use a Whirlpool) sized right for your garage, if you go that route.

You can go the route of the bubble or a storage bag, but unless you're thinking about it for long-term storage, they're sort of a hassle to get the bike in and out of on a regular basis.

TORKER07

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 12:44:30 AM »

Check for roof vents and soffit vents to let the humidity out. Rapid temperature changes will cause concrete and metal to condensate when going from cold to warm. I added insulation to the walls and ceiling in my garage to help slow the temperature change rate. I think this would help your situation.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 06:34:14 AM »

Don't cover it.
I stopped covering mine because of that.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 09:11:54 AM »

Reduce the humidity level with a dehumidifier, or raise the temp of the bike above the dew point.  Any cool surface will condense moisture out of the air if it's temp is at or below the dew point, no matter where you are.  As others have noted, dehumidification and air circulation (no cover) are the best approach.  Unfortunately, however, once you open the garage door and move the bike outside condensation will form if the conditions are right.

Here's an idea, move up here in the frozen north where the relative humidity is so low your skin dries out and cracks.  No condensation problems here. ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

hogasm

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 09:13:33 AM »

When we lived on the coast in NC (veeeeeeery high humidity as hogasm will testify) I ran a dehumidifier and a couple of smaller oscillating fans 24/7.  Did a great job and no problems with condensation after that.  Be sure and get a good dehumidifer (I use a Whirlpool) sized right for your garage, if you go that route.

You can go the route of the bubble or a storage bag, but unless you're thinking about it for long-term storage, they're sort of a hassle to get the bike in and out of on a regular basis.

We live within .5 miles of the ocean. Can hear it from our back porch.

We also carpeted the area in the garage that the bikes are in. Went down to the carpet store and bought a remnant for near nothing. Make sure it is rubber backed. Makes a world of difference.

Another thing that you did not mention is it is soo corrosive here that we spray down the bikes with a corrosion inhibitor after washing them.

Keats

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Do not be led astray

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2003 FXSTDSEI
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2008, 12:15:46 AM »

Reduce the humidity level with a dehumidifier, or raise the temp of the bike above the dew point.  Any cool surface will condense moisture out of the air if it's temp is at or below the dew point, no matter where you are.  As others have noted, dehumidification and air circulation (no cover) are the best approach.  Unfortunately, however, once you open the garage door and move the bike outside condensation will form if the conditions are right.

Here's an idea, move up here in the frozen north where the relative humidity is so low your skin dries out and cracks.  No condensation problems here. ;)

Jerry

absolutely right......keep bike always warmer than air temp (blow warm air on bike) and try taking as much water out of air as possible (dehumiifier)

air bubble will not stop the condensation issues
Formally FLHTCUSE3
SoA #99.9            "Never say Die"
SEST,   open A/C , dyno tuned, D&D Fatcats 2 into 1 ceramic coated, new SE CNC Ported and coated Heads with 2.120 intake valve, SE camplate,
Jims SE Crank "Darkhorsed", Timkin conversion, Andrews 54H cams, Arnott Air shocks, intimidator front valves, HID headlights, LED turn signals, Moto Lights,  Zumo 550, SE compensator.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 07:21:08 AM »

It sounds like if you have that much condensation in your detached garage (we have one too) that you have to keep an eye on storing accesories out there.  Things like helmets and seats.  Fabric will get a mold on it quick.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 11:38:40 AM »

http://www.zonkshop.com/red-wing-peet-boot-dryer-p-261.html

Talked to an old guy at a gas station the other day...he puts one of these boot driers, with the top part off, on the floor(sheet of plywood) under the cover of his old Indian and claims no condensation problems.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 11:54:32 AM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 12:01:46 PM »

http://www.zonkshop.com/red-wing-peet-boot-dryer-p-261.html

Talked to an old guy at a gas station the other day...he puts one of these boot driers, with the top part off, on the floor(sheet of plywood) under the cover of his old Indian and claims no condensation problems.

Lays it down flat under bike or leaves it standing up next to it under cover? Don't know if it'd work or be a hazard laying flat is all. Currently using a fan, but like the idea of that better.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.513 seconds with 24 queries.