Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Homecoming Party Has Been Canceled !!  (Read 1570 times)

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
The Homecoming Party Has Been Canceled !!
« on: April 09, 2008, 05:56:15 AM »

Here we go again....My SE FatBoy is back in the shop. The entire charging system now being replaced. But this time it might be my fault !!

The other night when I got stuck at 1:00am in front of a well known bar; which is a block away from the local Police Department here in the SFV, California; I thought my problem was the 3 year old battery which had just sat without a charge for over two months. So, I did replace the battery with original Harley Davidson parts. And, without checking the charging system, I went ahead and did my heat cycles as instructed by the lead mechanic.

My mistake was not waiting 3 hours for a tow. See, the police drive right by the front of the bar, many times during the wee hours of 1:00am - 3:00am. The AAA Automobile Club, said "30 minutes for a flatbed with a jump". The AAA called 40 minutes later to say: " Sorry, it is a 3 hour wait for a flat bed". What was I to do? I would be sitting in front of a bar till 5:00am and right on the front line.

I sent for my portable booster, and some tools to get me the heck out of there. It was embarrassing enough with all of the locals coming out of the bar to see me broke down after many of them came out earlier to say what a great bike I had. The conflict of interest was too consuming, I didn't think about the torture I might put on new engine, and I jump started my SE FatBoy. I limped home, with no lights, EFI Failure, RPM's too low to worry about pistons and rings settling in for the long term usage and difficult to be seen without any front lights as well. I ran 3 red lights because it was going to stall. No way could I keep it stable enough to make it all the way home. But I did.

I wish the stator and alternator had been checked before I left the shop, but that's hindsight now. The ride home might have burned out the stator due to the alternator failing. OUCH !! I didn't know, I swear. I do now, but just a bit too late...

Back to the shop with my SE FatBoy, New Battery installed, fully charged again. Paul and Mark both helped check the alt and stator for the proper meter readings, both in fault. I am screwed once again.

Now were talking $139.00 for an alternator, maybe the same for the stator and a few hours labor.............who knows, another $500 to $600 right?

I will update this when I get the bike back from it's other home, the shop. I am thinking of a new name for my beloved SE FatBoy>>>>>>THE Black Hole.....Do you like it? It swallows OCD Money and gravity, light, stars........etc...

Mike K.
kona76

FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
Re: The Homecoming Party Has Been Canceled !!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 06:00:53 AM »

You just don't seem to be able to catch a break.

I am so sorry.

Hope the problems start to stay away from you and your beloved fat boy.

:o

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 08:57:53 AM »

Damn Mike, that really sucks!!! :o

You can't seem to catch a break with that thing. That bike is turning into a real money pit. Been there, done that, and looking for it to end too. I hope this is the last of it for you and me for quite sometime! Good luck man! :2vrolijk_21:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008, 08:58:57 AM »

Mike, sorry to hear.  Wow, your Fatboy bends light.  That's something others at the bar can't say.  Keep us posted.  What did the damage?  Was it the jump?
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »

Good Grief!

kona76

• Elite CVO Member
  • Screamin' Eagle Rocks the SFV !!

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFSE Screamin' Eagle FatBoy Slate Gray with Metal Grind
    • CVO2: 2008 FLHRSE4 Screamin' Eagle RoadKing Black Diamond with Silver Mist & Ghost Flames
    • CVO3: 2010 Screamin' Eagle FatKing Monster CVO with Jims 124" 200 HP / 200 TQ (dreamin of)
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 12:39:57 PM »

Mike, sorry to hear.  Wow, your Fatboy bends light.  That's something others at the bar can't say.  Keep us posted.  What did the damage?  Was it the jump?

Yeah, she sucks the black right out of night sky, for a price. And that price is astronomical, no pun right? Now that's bitter humor, west coast style. Somebody throw me a fish....

I am of the understanding that the drive home, approximately 4-5 miles, burned up the stator due to the alternator failure. "That the output had nowhere to be dispursed', and when coupled with riding this type of distance, "it's no wonder the stator is fried". The "Quotes" are from the shop mechanic, who has seen this many times before.

Mike K.
kona76
FLSTFSE SE FatBoy & all the OCD Fixin's Top Notch Bar Hopper with hella HorsePower,Torque & Performance. Don't try this one at home, alone.

FLHRSE4 SE RoadKing Semi Stock Bagger for High Speed Power & Long Hauls, Two Up Comfort that Satisfies our Chrome Fixation Nation.

AUSSIE_FLSTFSE

• 1K CVO Member
  • Aussie

• CVO1: FLSTFSE
    • Aussie's home page
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 08:03:49 PM »

Kona,
There are no words for this!   :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

Cheers
Aussie

FATBOYS RULE

OCD is a disease

MikeD

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2008, 06:31:23 AM »

Mike,
If it wasn't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any!

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 24 queries.