Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: bus er code  (Read 10118 times)

Slvrtundevl

bus er code
« on: June 12, 2008, 03:11:28 PM »

I washed my bike, and the radio, speedo, and Tach does not work now, and my odometer now says bus  er,   I found what the code means...."Serial data bus  shorted/low/open/high"

Help anyone, I have let the bike dry for 3 days, used a leaf blower, is there a reset?

I have checked the fuses...all good ( on the side panel)  is there another fuse?  anyone ever have this problem?

2006 FLHTCUSE   ultra classic

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
Re: bus er code
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:13:05 PM »

Are you using a Power Commander?  It's possible that you got water into the ECM connector plug, which has the PC plugged into it.  Otherwise, there should be a rubber boot over the connector to keep water out.

Slvrtundevl

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:48:59 PM »

I have no idea what a power commander is...But I heard the salesman say there was one on it( do they come factory on a screaming eagle?).....do you know where that is located? so I can repair? under the seat? behind the fairing? 

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »

I have no idea what a power commander is...But I heard the salesman say there was one on it( do they come factory on a screaming eagle?).....do you know where that is located? so I can repair? under the seat? behind the fairing? 

A Power Commander is a small electronic module that is used to modify the fuel and timing settings.  On an Electraglide it would normally be mounted under the right side cover.  Rather than try to explain it, I'm going to attach a pdf file that shows the installation.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Slvrtundevl

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 04:22:35 PM »

Hmm 4 days later my battery died, I wonder if a bad battery will turn off the radio, make the speedo and tach not work?  Gonna go pay 150.00 for a new battery tonight, will keep you posted...

courter

• Senior CVO Member
  • Enjoying the RIDE!!

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3 Canyon/Silver
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI Purple/Silver Flames
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 04:50:11 PM »

You got water in something and it is shorting out your bike.  You have to find which plug has the water in it and dry it out, otherwise you'll keep having dead batteries.  Later the water will cause corrosion and make the connection fail alltogether.  My suspicion of the PC was that the stock watertight cover is removed and there is a connection at that point -- one that the factory did not intend to have a connection full time.  Check that first, and if no moisture is present, start looking at all of the other connections you can find to try to dry them out.

Best of luck to you!

Slvrtundevl

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 05:23:40 PM »

Well, update, The radio was bad, or had a short in it....Not sure how that happened, I washed the bike but never got water directly on the radio, unless it was when I got caught in the rain....BUT I wanted to say that DOC"S Harley Davidson is one top notch dealership. they covered my bike even though it was not under warrenty....They are top notch!!

nonstop1964

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »

Thanks for this Slvrtundevl  I had the same problem and I have called several shops. I found this on here and I took my bike apart and disconnected the stereo. Left the bike on a charger for 3 days and with the stereo disconnected I started the bike. Every thing works again, I went in and cleared all the codes and have been riding it tonight. No one I spoke to thought it could be the stereo. I called a place called Iron Cross Audio, they work on the Harley 2006 and up stereos and he told me this is a common problem. There is a plate that goes out in the stereo and for $250 plus $15 for shipping you can mail your stereo in and they repair and mail back with a 6 month warranty.

nuckelhead

• Full CVO Member
  • if it ain't broke... take it off and chrome it!!!!

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 KRYPTONITE / BLACK DIAMOND
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »

You got water in something and it is shorting out your bike.  You have to find which plug has the water in it and dry it out, otherwise you'll keep having dead batteries.  Later the water will cause corrosion and make the connection fail alltogether.  My suspicion of the PC was that the stock watertight cover is removed and there is a connection at that point -- one that the factory did not intend to have a connection full time.  Check that first, and if no moisture is present, start looking at all of the other connections you can find to try to dry them out.

Best of luck to you!

just had a fellow Hog chapter buddy with this exact same issue.  washed his new 2011 SESG and all electronics failed.  turned out the he had a gap in the fairing when he put in the Klockworks windshield.  shorted everything.  dealership told him to leave it out in the sun all day.  he did, and it ran fine after sitting for 4 or 5 hours in the sun.  i relayed to him that he needed to find which connection got moisture in it and replace it quickly, even though the dealership didnt warn him of it
everything i own has been stolen and then replaced with exact replicas....

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 24 queries.