Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Is ThunderMax worth it?  (Read 11900 times)

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Is ThunderMax worth it?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »

Dennis

I don't understand what you mean by centerfold pipes?
Splain it please!

:nixweiss:

ROFLMAPO

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 08:49:24 PM »

I still do not get it???

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 09:13:30 PM »

I still do not get it???
You mean "rolling on the floor laughing his ass off" or the pretty to look at pipes?
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

rednectum

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 05:24:55 PM »

I had a 06 dyna, stock engine,v+h big radius pipes and had a tm auto tune installed and it still coughed and popped through the air intake sometime's and would back fire out the exhaust at the most inconvenient times usually when a jap bike was next to me or when someone Im riding with on another Harley whom I ranted and raved to about how great the tm is to. I worked at zippers and have to say what a awful place to work at  and talk about a bunch of CHEAP mf's geeez.Alot of the people working there seem very unhappy and some act like the rod thats in thier ass has a rod in it's ass :jalapeno:.They never could get my tm right and I was so pissed off when I quit I decided I didnt want my dyna anymore so I sold it to some poor soul and got a 08 ultra. I wouldnt have another tm even if they gave it to me. keep in mind if you have errors which you will, you will have to put your stock ecm back in to clear them. They mark that freakin thing up 400% and a few people I know spent much much less on a HD race tuner, which that I never hear a decel pop or back fire from thier bikes A few people at zippers where nice  so im not speaking for all. Hey atleast Im honest. I hope Dan and Dave read this. see ya

raising the dumbf*ck flag. tell us, where are tony and rosie?? if you can answer that, you win first round.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:58:05 PM by Fired00d »

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 11:26:03 PM »

I'll join 2Lane.....sold mine a long time back now and don't miss it one bit.  SERT works great......

didnt sell mine but replaced it with the SERT. Much happier with the SERT, less baby sitting.

brwk

• Full CVO Member
  • Annv #782

• CVO1: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »

Got mine last year at Octoberfest in FL.  Didn't live up to the salemans pitch.  After riding home I called customer support they then said that it was my cam choice.  Nice.....they knew exactly what I had before they installed it.  Then they offered to install their cams at a wonderful price...not.  Got my $ back minus the installation price :(
Typical bate and switch.  It would be nice to find someone totally honest, realiable, and good close to Frederick, MD.  This time I got the Xieds and SE 4" slips.....and Im done.

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 07:43:51 AM »

didnt sell mine but replaced it with the SERT. Much happier with the SERT, less baby sitting.

I'd love to sell mine, $400, complete Auto Tune system ..Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2008, 12:26:35 AM »

Stay away from this product !!!

About 3hrs from home my bike decided to stop idleing properly and I was forced to pull onto the shoulder several times in traffic. At one point I was pushing the bike in highway traffic for almost 3 miles. I WAS PISSED. I called Zippers and they made excuse after excuse blaming the bike, not their product. After I was able to get the bike moving (and cooling it down) it seemed to run OK until my tach and speedo stopped working and all my dash lights came on solid. I stopped and called Zippers again with no real answers. I was forced to pull the ECM fuse and reset the computer. It worked and I was back on the road. After arriving in Ohio I took the bike to a local dealer and explained what was going on. They looked at me like I was an idiot and recommended that I pull the Zippers stuff off and replace it with my factory ECM and O2 sensors. I had my wife ship my stock ECM, race tuner, and O2 sensors to Ohio and the dealer charged me $500.00 to pull the Thundermax, O2 sensors, and related wiring along with making me a custom map on the dyno. I got back on the road in two days and the bike has been running perfectly since. My only complaint with the dealer is they tuned my bike a bit too lean which I was able to correct after getting home (Thanks to DOC..He is a GOD) ;D.

1.I bought the SERT and used it when the bike was new. Bike ran fine.

2.I got stupid and decided to try the Thundermax with Autotune which also seemed to be OK except for the occasional low idle issue and hard starting problems I experienced. I was always on the phone with their customer support and was always told something different.

3. TMax left me on the side of road and I will NEVER fool with one again. In addition, if you have any kind of warranty on your machine you are just stupid to use another ECM on your bike.

NOTE: Zippers offered to replace the ECM and Autotune module without any questions or refund my $$. After 1.5 years of use they refunded 100% of my money which really impressed me. There are not many companies like this out there anymore !!!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:28:15 AM by copout221 »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2008, 01:23:12 AM »

Stay away from this product !!!

NOTE: Zippers offered to replace the ECM and Autotune module without any questions or refund my $$. After 1.5 years of use they refunded 100% of my money which really impressed me. There are not many companies like this out there anymore !!!

So they were useless with any effective assistance when it really counted, had no continuity to whatever assistance they did offer but yet are still good guys because they gave you some money back after costing you $500 or more of service fees and three days road time?  Sounds like all things considered you didn't even break even.

Not too long after the Thundermax w/AT came out an acquaintance of mine got one.  Shortly after headed out on a trip out west.  Out in the middle of Nowhere, Utah; within sniffing distance of the Great Basin and its desolation he breaks down.  Completely.  He's two good days from home if that were his next destination and only three days in to his only two weeks vacation of the year.

Bike gets towed to a local dealership.  They aren't bitchy about the bike having an alien ECM onboard but are sure the ECM is the culprit. 

He calls Zippers.  The TMax is only weeks old.  He doesn't assume warranty will be an issue.  He tells them he'll gladly pay any overnight charges on a warranty replacement to get it there the next day so that he can continue on his vacation.  All seems reasonable?  Right?

The company's response was that they'd just loaded up for Daytona (or MB or some other big event, I forget which).  The trailer with the inventory was still there but they couldn't send him a warranty replacement until after the rally event.  They wanted all the stock they could have on hand for the show.

The guy took a bus home.  Then went back out there two weeks later when his warranty replacement finally got in.  Then rode the bike home.  No vacation.  And no assistance from the mftr of any effective kind.  Yeah, these are good guys.  My opinion of their efforts costs more than a refund.

Coolbreeze

• 1K CVO Member
  • Bridge to nowhere...
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2008, 09:29:55 PM »

hmmm......   all things being equal....   I think I'll just try to richen up the map on my PCIII a little. 
My indy tuner went a bit lean, (14.7), and I think that's causing me a bit of heat issues....    I'm too cheap to have him re-dyno it, and he's too cheap to do it for free....     

thanks for the opinions guys.  I really appreciate it. 

BTW,  got back Saturday from the second 3200 mile run in less than a month, and the only probs I had were the broken shoulder in Yellowstone and the motor mount that tried to fall off.  My girls are happy biker kids!
2005 Red SEEG
2002 Low Rider
New Kitchen
New Laundry Room
Two New Nieces! (w/ frayed Brother-in-Law)

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 12:01:18 AM »

So they were useless with any effective assistance when it really counted, had no continuity to whatever assistance they did offer but yet are still good guys because they gave you some money back after costing you $500 or more of service fees and three days road time?  Sounds like all things considered you didn't even break even.

Not too long after the Thundermax w/AT came out an acquaintance of mine got one.  Shortly after headed out on a trip out west.  Out in the middle of Nowhere, Utah; within sniffing distance of the Great Basin and its desolation he breaks down.  Completely.  He's two good days from home if that were his next destination and only three days in to his only two weeks vacation of the year.

Bike gets towed to a local dealership.  They aren't bitchy about the bike having an alien ECM onboard but are sure the ECM is the culprit. 

He calls Zippers.  The TMax is only weeks old.  He doesn't assume warranty will be an issue.  He tells them he'll gladly pay any overnight charges on a warranty replacement to get it there the next day so that he can continue on his vacation.  All seems reasonable?  Right?

The company's response was that they'd just loaded up for Daytona (or MB or some other big event, I forget which).  The trailer with the inventory was still there but they couldn't send him a warranty replacement until after the rally event.  They wanted all the stock they could have on hand for the show.

The guy took a bus home.  Then went back out there two weeks later when his warranty replacement finally got in.  Then rode the bike home.  No vacation.  And no assistance from the mftr of any effective kind.  Yeah, these are good guys.  My opinion of their efforts costs more than a refund.

WOW..And I thought my story sucked !!! I am just glad I got my money back and my bike is running fine now with the SERT. In addition, I should have NEVER installed an aftermarket ECM on a bike that bought an extended warranty on. NOT TOO SMART  :nixweiss:

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 11:28:47 AM »

Damn Don, I was gonna try to get $39.95 out of mine, guess I'll just use it as a paper weight now....Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2008, 12:23:01 PM »

Damn Don, I was gonna try to get $39.95 out of mine, guess I'll just use it as a paper weight now....Greg

:oops:     :huepfenlol2:
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 24 queries.