Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 08 Fuel shell recall.  (Read 23661 times)

HDDOCFL

• 1K CVO Member
  • Never Say Never
08 Fuel shell recall.
« on: July 26, 2008, 07:20:22 AM »

Original Message) Sent: 7/25/2008 7:34 PM
Subject: Safety Recall Campaign 0135

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect relating to motor vehicle safety may exist on certain 2008 model year FLHP, FLHPE, FLHR, FLHRC, FLHRSE4, FLHT, FLHTC, FLHTCU, FLHTCUSE3, FLHTP, FLHX, FLTR model motorcycles built May 6, 2007 through December 11, 2007.  These 2008 model motorcycles may experience a cracking of the fuel filter shell leading to a loss of fuel pressure.  This loss of fuel pressure can cause diminished performance and in some cases may cause an engine stall, or a no-start condition.  This condition could lead to a crash which could cause injury or death to the rider.
We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0135) to allow us to formally recall all affected motorcycles.  The remedy is to remove the original fuel filter shell P/N 62229-08 and replace it with a new fuel filter shell P/N 62229-08A. A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within two weeks.  Based on the schedule our supplier has provided we expect to begin shipping 10,000 or more repair kits world-wide, in our first wave, on or before the week of August 4, 2008. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

In the interest of the safety of our mutual customers and as required by law, you may sell but NOT DELIVER any affected motorcycles to your customers until the remedy is completed. Please refer to h-dnet.com on the Service Page/Safety and Product Campaign/Open Safety Campaign Instructions and the Safety Campaign and Open VIN Lists in the Service Toolbox for an updated list of affected VINs for this recall. Select the appropriate campaign number link (0135) to view any outstanding vehicles involved. 

In accordance with Federal regulations administered by NHTSA, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. will provide notice to all owners of record of affected products with direction to bring the vehicle in for the recall service.

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 FXDB-sold
    • CVO2: FLHRSE4-sold
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE4
Re: 08 Fuel shell recall.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 10:41:12 AM »

Where do I find the date of manufacture on my SERK??  :coolblue:

RioGlide

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 SE Road King - sold
    • CVO2: 07 VRSCDX - Night Rod Special - sold
    • CVO3: 11 FLRTUSE - Rio Red
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 09:03:50 PM »

Where do I find the date of manufacture on my SERK??  :coolblue:

Upper left fork, turn the whole front end to the right & look up on the frame.   I took a picture of mine earlier & have to connect the camera to post the shot.  Let me know if you need the pic & I will post in the morning.

hard10

• Emperor of the Imperial Grand Masters of Sarcasm
  • 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM # 6 1/157.48

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE²

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 FXDB-sold
    • CVO2: FLHRSE4-sold
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 10:44:06 AM »

Go here: https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/servicecheckup.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

and enter your VIN

I had already entered my vin here, but I went back to see if manufacture date was there . . . didn't find it tho.
Am I missing something??

megavolt17

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 11:44:42 AM »

Wow, going to the web link shows a recall and a product notice about my bike!

Product Notice: 0905: PRD PGM: 07/08 CVO 110 HEADS
Recall Notice: 0135: 2008 FL TOURING FILTER SHELL

I need to ship my bike to Germany in 2 weeks, I wonder if they can fix both of these before I PCS.
Megavolt17

2008 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide (FLHTCUSE3)
105th Anniversary Crystal Copper and Black Onyx
HD High Intensity Discharge (HID) Dual Bulb Headlamp
HD Illuminated LED Windshield Molding Kit
HD Air Wing Tour-Pak Luggage Rack with Smoked Lens LED Rack Light
Küryakyn Panacea Blue Dot Smoked LED Taillights and Turn Signals
"Roll Your Own" SE Air Cleaner
SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers
SE Race Tuner
Traxxion AK-20 cartridges
Bitubo HD 300mm shocks

cowboy7123

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 Ultra
    • CVO2: 09 Fatbob
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 11:47:10 AM »

If not, the Harley dealer over there should be able to do it

BIGDOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM#9.51 and a half .3
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 11:55:27 AM »

Go here: https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/MNT/SCHK/en/servicecheckup.asp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

and enter your VIN
Thanks for that link. I am sure it will be useful in the future as well as now. :2vrolijk_21:
If your not liven on the edge , your taking up to much space!

NWbiker

• Full CVO Member
    • OR

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 05:30:11 PM »

Thanks for the link, very useful.  Yep 0905 recall cylinder heads.
2014 CVO Ultra Limited
2003 Heritage Springer Classic

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 07:06:27 PM »

Yeah, I got the SB for the 110 Heads on the Jester and the Fuel shell recall on the Street Glide...so both of my bikes have to go in.   :-\
   :devil:
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 07:18:10 PM by RedDevil »

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 09:36:11 PM »

Mine is starting to go. Called my dealer and they haven't gotten parts yet. Hopefully I won't have a complete failure. Its starting to sputter a little though, keepin my fingers crossed.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 11:57:35 PM »

Mine is starting to go. Called my dealer and they haven't gotten parts yet. Hopefully I won't have a complete failure. Its starting to sputter a little though, keepin my fingers crossed.

How many miles do you have?

Pete7539

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 08 SEUC
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »

2500 miles. A way to check if yours is going, undo fuel cap and start bike, take a flashlight and look into tank. If you have alot of fuel, you'll see it swirling around inside tank, if you're low on fuel and can see pump assembly, you'll see fuel constantly misting. If you don't see either then you're fine. Another way is to just turn on ignition without starting bike. You'll hear fuel pump pressurize. Pressure should remain in the lines for a while if the housing isn't cracked. So wait a few seconds and turn ign. off and on again and again. If pump keeps turning on then you got a leak.  This probably happened to mine about a 1000 miles ago, but has gotten a little worse recently. I thought it may have had something to do with the IED's, but it isn't. Its only stalled at idle once or twice, but it sputters sometimes if I'm at 2k for a little while and then roll on the throttle. I think if you have an 08 that was built before 12/07 then you've probably got one of the defective ones. Dealer told me I shouldn't get stranded by it and that he's had a bike come in for same thing that drove in on its own before the recall went out and they had to troubleshoot it to the fuel shell. Just gonna continue riding til they get the part.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:38:26 PM by Pete7539 »

skiindean

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 06:50:14 PM »

How long does it actually take a good mechanic to repair it..and what exactly do they have to do to get to it?
Dean

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:49:12 PM »

.......................................................Dealer told me I shouldn't get stranded by it and that he's had a bike come in for same thing that drove in on its own before the recall went out and they had to troubleshoot it to the fuel shell. Just gonna continue riding til they get the part.

You are a much more trusting soul than I am Pete.  And that dealer is a moron for telling you that, btw.  He could be opening himself up for some serious liability issues. There have been documented failures that shut the bike down completely, and that is why this thing is a safety recall and not just another "Upgrade Program".  From H-D's recall notice:  "This loss of fuel pressure can cause diminished performance and in some cases may cause an engine stall, or a no-start condition.  This condition could lead to a crash which could cause injury or death to the rider."

If you are seeing symptoms of this problem, I wouldn't take it too lightly.  If your dealer can't get parts, ask him to remove one from one of his unsold bikes in inventory to keep a good customer on the road.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 24 queries.