Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: Transmission Jackshaft Leak?  (Read 27013 times)

REGGAB

Transmission Jackshaft Leak?
« on: August 01, 2008, 07:58:12 PM »

There is no easy way to manipulate a camera to get a top angle shot of this predicament.  I took a decent picture from the bottom post wipe.  It's gray wet.  Not dripping on the floor, but is SLOWLY running down the oil pan.  Jackshaft leak?

Might be time to work on the household accountant to hurry along with the Baker 6 speed account.

REGGAB

Re: Transmission Jackshaft Leak?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »

Attempt from the top................with flashlight.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 08:24:40 PM »

Can't really tell from the photo's, but if you have what about a gazillion of us have had, it's either a shift shaft or mainshaft seal leak (or both).  I had both of mine "fixed" right before my warranty expired, and the leak came back in a few thousand miles.  If you have it fixed, get them to use something other than the junk seals H-D uses.  Others here highly recommend the Cometic seals, and that's what I intend to use when I fix mine again.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 08:31:06 PM »

Dang.....now you tell me.  I just had my leak fixed with the HD seals.  Oh well.......the 1st ones lasted me over 50K miles, so........guess I can't complain.  Went ahead and put the chrome inner primary cover on.......looks goooood! :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:  *(trying to keep up around here, ya know.)  ::) har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:36:59 PM »

Dang.....now you tell me.  I just had my leak fixed with the HD seals.  Oh well.......the 1st ones lasted me over 50K miles, so........guess I can't complain.  Went ahead and put the chrome inner primary cover on.......looks goooood! :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue: :coolblue:  *(trying to keep up around here, ya know.)  ::) har!  spyder
Way to go. :2vrolijk_21:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »

Way to go. :2vrolijk_21:

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
Yep.......did a polished SS stabilizer link replacement also.....more 'bling' trying to keep up with you guys....plan on having the Huckleberry up at Maggie V. around all youse guys/gals.......got to get into the 'game'.  :coolblue: har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 09:20:47 PM »

Yep.......did a polished SS stabilizer link replacement also.....more 'bling' trying to keep up with you guys....plan on having the Huckleberry up at Maggie V. around all youse guys/gals.......got to get into the 'game'.  :coolblue: har!  :huepfenlol2: spyder
I hear you. ;D

Ride Safe,
Fired00d
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 10:50:56 PM »

Can't really tell from the photo's, but if you have what about a gazillion of us have had, it's either a shift shaft or mainshaft seal leak (or both).  I had both of mine "fixed" right before my warranty expired, and the leak came back in a few thousand miles.  If you have it fixed, get them to use something other than the junk seals H-D uses.  Others here highly recommend the Cometic seals, and that's what I intend to use when I fix mine again.

Jerry

Yeah I know the photos suck, but they are what they are.  The area is wet.  Have seen leaks in this area before, but the oil always blew to the rear.  This is just seeping straight down.
Definitely not a show stopper, and doesn't bother me save for the grime, so I'll just ride it until it starts making an unmanageable mess.  I've been looking for a reason to get some drivetrain work done anyway.  Thanks.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 11:10:03 PM »

Yeah I know the photos suck, but they are what they are.  The area is wet.  Have seen leaks in this area before, but the oil always blew to the rear.  This is just seeping straight down.
Definitely not a show stopper, and doesn't bother me save for the grime, so I'll just ride it until it starts making an unmanageable mess.  I've been looking for a reason to get some drivetrain work done anyway.  Thanks.
Sorry for your trouble brother but good to see ya here.  :2vrolijk_21:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 11:30:59 PM »

You NEED that chrome inner anyways, Henry.  Every Harley needs a chrome inner...don't look right without it.   ;) :2vrolijk_21:
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:31:50 PM »

Is this something we all should be expecting?

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »

There is no easy way to manipulate a camera to get a top angle shot of this predicament.  I took a decent picture from the bottom post wipe.  It's gray wet.  Not dripping on the floor, but is SLOWLY running down the oil pan.  Jackshaft leak?

Might be time to work on the household accountant to hurry along with the Baker 6 speed account.

Yea,, i see it.. and confirmend, its broken, you need the Baker 6 speed...  :2vrolijk_21:

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 12:47:16 AM »

I would say that about 70 - 80% of these leak from the shift shaft seal. Get the Cometic Double lip seal and don't look back.......

murphy

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 06:48:22 AM »

I would say that about 70 - 80% of these leak from the shift shaft seal. Get the Cometic Double lip seal and don't look back.......

Man... Victory's are looking better every day! >:(

How difficult are they to replace... is it as easy as ripping one out and replacing another, or will you have to pull the primary case or something else off?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 06:50:22 AM by murphy »

Screamin

• 5k CVO Member
  • Number 641

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2 Cherry
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Ultra
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 06:58:48 AM »

Scott noticed mine leaking in Colorado Springs and turned me on to Mile High H. D. in Denver. They had it replaced and we were on the road in a couple of hours. Service Mgr. said they don't suddenly go catastrophic and it would of been ok to ride. Second FLH w/ this leak. Extended warranty so $50.00. Next time, if out of warranty, I'll go w/ Cometic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.