Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Neutral Light Comes On While Cruising  (Read 4862 times)

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
  • pnw_cvfltrse_dom_c38_sws_w1024
Neutral Light Comes On While Cruising
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:08:18 PM »

Last 3 trips the neutral light has come on while cruising in all gears. The Dealer informed the Motor Company of the situation and the Motor Company is sending out a new transmission case (warranty work was recorded 1 day prior to the 2 year factory expiration date). Has anyone encountered the same problem ?

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
Re: Neutral Light Comes On While Cruising
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 02:27:29 PM »

Like this (never did find a cause):

Never happened again
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 04:52:16 PM »

Massachusetts lived in Boston 25 years, Canton 16 years before I relocated to Las Vegas, NV.
My dealer has replaced transmission cases on 3 2008 CVO Touring models for the same. This is a the first 2007 CVO my dealer has encountered with this problem.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 06:14:57 PM »

Massachusetts lived in Boston 25 years, Canton 16 years before I relocated to Las Vegas, NV.
My dealer has replaced transmission cases on 3 2008 CVO Touring models for the same. This is a the first 2007 CVO my dealer has encountered with this problem.

I had my tranny case replaced due to porosity and leak at the VSS sensor.  The day I got it back, after 20-30 minutes, the neutral light came on.  Apparantly the heat caused just enough expansion to make the gap too large.  It would flick neutral in 2nd and solid in first.  They changed the switch and it fixed it for over 7000 miles now.  However the new motor is leaking at the head. Try the switch first.  Although its a good excuse to put the chrome inner primary on HD dime.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Chief

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #4-3/8
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 07:06:51 PM »

I had that exact same problem on my 99. The problem was a short in the wire between the neutral light and the switch on the tranny. The indicator light has 12v applied to it at all times. The neutral switch completes the circuit to ground, not to the hot side. My short was where the wire rubbed through on the radio case, which completed the circuit to ground and the light came on, and stayed on.

The way you can test this is to pull the wires off of the neutral switch and see if the light goes out. When I pulled the wires off, my light stayed on.

:indian_chief:

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 09:05:20 PM »

This situation only occurs when the ride leg is in excess of 75 miles. The dealer claims to have checked the wiring as the first step along with tracing the wire(s). What I find to be a bit strange, is the Motor Company needs my bike back to the Dealer Monday to measure the Transmission case and give the measurements to The Motor Company for a new transmission case. Again, this is the first 2007 CVO with this problem but has encountered the same with 3 2008 CVO's all of which the Motor Conpany has change out the transmission cases. 

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 09:24:28 PM »

Mine came on once riding in 6th gear too. I wiggled the shifter pedal with my hand and it went out. Never came back. Must be something in that assembly. I dunno. Seemed weird. Like all the other electrical gremlins on these electronic beasts! ::) :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 10:59:52 AM »

This situation only occurs when the ride leg is in excess of 75 miles. The dealer claims to have checked the wiring as the first step along with tracing the wire(s). What I find to be a bit strange, is the Motor Company needs my bike back to the Dealer Monday to measure the Transmission case and give the measurements to The Motor Company for a new transmission case. Again, this is the first 2007 CVO with this problem but has encountered the same with 3 2008 CVO's all of which the Motor Conpany has change out the transmission cases. 

Buddy, this sounds just like mine, it heats up and expands.  I'd change the switch first. 
this problem first appeared when the 2006 Dynas came out.  There was a recall.  Its probably an issue with the depth of the Neutral switch machining in the casting.  Some switches may work, others may show this problem.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:16:24 PM by skreminegul07 »
Any day on the bike is a good day.

FLTRCVO

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 01:10:16 PM »

Case measurement taken this morning for replacement. Wrench changed switch prior to involving Motor Company and he experienced the same problem. The wrench believes internals are expanding / rising causing the problem. Again, the Motor Company fix is to replace the case, thus, my opinion is that this problem may not be new to them. Your mention of the casting issue seems to be dead on.

bikerboy53

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • OR

• CVO1: Razor Red '07 FLHRSE3
    • CVO2: Red & Slate '10 FLHTCUSE5
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 03:02:32 PM »

I had a similar problem with my '07 FLHRSE3. When the bike was hot the neutral light would come on sometimes in all gears. They put in a new switch and it has been OK for about the last 8 or 10k miles.

Back when the neutral light was coming on there were other weird things happening at the same time, like the alarm light coming on, and the 6th gear indicator flickering on and off when the tranny was in 6th gear.  ??? Help, I'm slipping into the Twilight Zone...  :'(

It's strange that they're replacing tranny cases now tho!
S&S T124
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
VP-016-340 Centrifugal Clutch kit
S&S PowerTune Duals w/Rinehart Touring Mufflers
Garmin Zumo 660
Bushtec Trailer

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 20 queries.