Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: 150mm Tire WILL IT FIT ON AN FXR2, FXR3, & OR FXR4  (Read 14969 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE
150mm Tire WILL IT FIT ON AN FXR2, FXR3, & OR FXR4
« on: August 12, 2008, 10:01:11 PM »

A few days ago Dave (HDFXR3) mentioned that he has a 150mm tire on his 1999 FXR3. 

I am sure many of us would be interested in this discussion:

HDFXR3  August 09, 2008,
I might add another item to those of you who are modifying these fxr3 blue babes. When i bought my fxr3 blue it had a 150 tire on  the rear..and i replaced it several months ago w/ the same. you can put 150 tire on rear of fxr3, i'm currently riding on one, one change that was made was reversing strut bolt..so nut is outside..with head inside of rear fender. It looks good and rides great!  i really like a little more rubber on the road anyway...look what is going on with current bikes.  dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From FXR2evo99:

A Photo of the above would be worth a 1000 words....lol and be quite helpful!!!
Ummmmm would this work for the FXR2 too huh huh huh would it.....well would it.....lol.....
Don't tell me you guys are leaving us FXR2 boys and girls out in the rain......come on now.....lol.....

Talk to me Dave.....inquiring minds need to know this.....can a 150 fit on my FXR2? ?   

So you have no rubber fighting with the walls of the fender....everything runs smoothly....no rubbing whatsoever?
I had a 150 on my 2003 Dyna Low Rider and of course I liked the looks of it....

Ok so tell me does having a 150 rear tire affect handling in a negative way on these bikes....just curious....perhaps a silly question but enlighten me on this please....

Regards,

Tim

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Hoist:

Yeap, me too!

Wasn't even sure a 140 fit. I've used 1 size over on wheels for years, but never went 2 sizes over. Normally you'd use a wider wheel too. You're using a 150 on a stock wheel? Yeap, tell us more please!

Hoist!

HDFXR3
I'll post some pictures in a day or so of my fxr3 w/ 150 mounted on stock wheel. i think it looks great and no rubbing on belft or fender, its full fender look. only  thing i know was changed was strut bolt reversed so nut is outside..besides the nut in seat! hehe...........Dave

So I thought I would simply list this in a "Thread" by itself so that others might be able to locate it.....lol and I am not calling "Dave" out....laughing.....it's just that in the other thread we have so many things going on that I thought "compartmentalizing" this one would serve a good purpose....

Dave, I am also interested when you do get to this, exactly what rear tire you are using on your FXR3.  Brand Name and Model# as most of us realize these manufactuerers have a thing with describing something in their model numbers as a certain size but then when you look and study the "specific" "specifications of the tire, they can be exteremely different in terms of tire diameter and tire width.  So if any of us are to decide to follow suit it would be good to know exactly what is installed on your bike.  Then there is the matter of whether you are also running the belt guard or did you remove it.....what I would think all of us are after is what was done exactly so if we privately invest in a 150mm tire we will know that we followed what you are doing carefully..... As we all know there isn't that much room in and around that fender.

So I am excited to see what we come up with here.....I use to have as I mentioned before a 150mm tire on my 2003 FXDL, and of course when HD brought out the 2002 FXDL they began with the 150mm tire but one of the modifications for that bike was also a wider fender so I am curious of course what brand of tire you are implementing and curious how it fits with out the additional "width" of a rear fender.

I know that above you mentioned flipping the bolts around at the location of the strut(s) and obviously this creates some additional room, [Did you do this to both sides of the bike's struts] I have looked at my bike and this is beginning to make sense but look forward to you posting some photos of how you are running with this modification.

Also another question, how does running the 150mm tire do for handling, you mentioned that you like having a bit more rubber on the road.....so my question is at what width tire does one reverse the positive effect of extending the width of their tire.....I am just curious....

I know that I have had certain debates/discussions about the merits of running a 19" front tire on my FXR2 [as most of you know the FXR2 comes with a 21" laced wheel] just like the FXR3's and FXR4's and there always seems to be a debate about whether running the 19" is an improvement or not?  I would enjoy a discussion about that as well.....if any are up to the discussion....it may be brief as perhaps everyone has some strong opinions about it.....but that's great....

I just think it would be good to have the idea of what is the best width tires to be running on our bikes.....now when we get into whether it's a Dunlop, Metzler, or Avon, or _________ is really not the intent I have here....

Ok so I am waitin......and excited to learn more about this topic....

Regards,

Tim
FXR2evo99
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:49:54 AM by FXR2evo99 »

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

• CVO1: fxr4 screaming yellow
    • CVO2: fxr2 stone cold blue
Re: 150mm Tire WILL IT FIT ON AN FXR2, FXR3, & OR FXR4
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 09:59:42 AM »

well, took my blue 3 to work this am..for pictures, close ups of 150 combo. Made a discovery in shooting them..that my rear sprocket and belt is narrower than the fxr4 parked here for sale. hmmm. of course i bought this used w/ 5k miles on her and never noticed till t his am..that sprocket was changed and belt was also..it makes sense. i'm going to post pics of this for your info. apparently 5 star thunderstar sprocket was changed and narrorer belt....so no rubbing of belt and tire..and nice full fit of tire in fender. parts book i have doesn't give width of belt..just part number. here are the photos.....dave

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 10:00:56 AM »

first shot of overall rear end...

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 10:02:12 AM »

reversed strut bolt right side...

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 10:03:31 AM »

shot of tire size dunlop 401  150-30-16

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 10:04:22 AM »

tire size again...

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 10:05:49 AM »

right side..tight shot

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 10:07:08 AM »

left side w/ belt guard

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 10:07:42 AM »

FLIPPED PHOTO

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your cursor next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your cursor on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:55:25 AM by FXR2evo99 »

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »

left side of strut bolt..reversed

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2008, 10:10:01 AM »

shot of belt ..measures 1 inch and 1/16 and sprocket

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2008, 10:11:14 AM »

overall shot of rear on fxr3

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2008, 10:13:11 AM »

shot of pegs i use for comfort, the billet ones are pretty but hard as rocks, rubber ones look good and functional...

hdfxr3

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • AL

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2008, 10:14:10 AM »

close up of console on handle bars,,,

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 10:14:42 AM »

Flipped Photo.

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your cursor next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your cursor on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 02:54:45 AM by FXR2evo99 »
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 24 queries.