Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 08 SERK fork lock problem...anyone else?  (Read 3349 times)

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 SERK
08 SERK fork lock problem...anyone else?
« on: August 22, 2008, 01:02:38 AM »

I just purchased my 08 SERK about 3 months ago. I now have 4K on it. We just returned from a 6 day road trip where I have been exp. severe fork lock problems. The last lock problem resulted in the bike being completely horizontal with substantual damage (shaking head)... Today (day after trip) I ride the RK to the dealership. After phone conversations with Milw. they want to pick up the bike tomorrow...as in yesterday! It's my understanding, they want to fix the fork lock problem immediately, give me the bike back while they order damaged parts. Q. Anybody experience this issue? And will they follow up with the damaged parts? Thanks in advance. Muddy
Save The Wave...

bisounours

• 5k CVO Member
  • First miles the 6th February 2008

Re: 08 SERK fork lock problem...anyone else?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 03:23:26 AM »

No problem...

Jacques
********2007 FLHTCUSE2 Red/Black**********
  SE RYO A/C and KN filter, V&H dressers duals and
          oval, TM/AT map#364, SE 251 cams.
     2008 FLHTCUSE3, White Frost and Silver Mist
              (Casper) -> 6th February 2008
             SE 251 cams/Torrington bearings,
      SE pushrods, SE High compression pistons,
             A/C Big sucker, V&H dresser duals ,
             Fullsac baffles, SE Pro Super Tuner.
2011 FLHXSE2, Stage1

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 07:00:33 AM »

Are you saying the forks lock up (i.e. can't turn them) while riding?
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

brewnut56

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 FXDB-sold
    • CVO2: FLHRSE4-sold
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 09:22:51 AM »

I just purchased my 08 SERK about 3 months ago. I now have 4K on it. We just returned from a 6 day road trip where I have been exp. severe fork lock problems. The last lock problem resulted in the bike being completely horizontal with substantual damage (shaking head)... Today (day after trip) I ride the RK to the dealership. After phone conversations with Milw. they want to pick up the bike tomorrow...as in yesterday! It's my understanding, they want to fix the fork lock problem immediately, give me the bike back while they order damaged parts. Q. Anybody experience this issue? And will they follow up with the damaged parts? Thanks in advance. Muddy

I'm amazed all you did was "shake your head"!  I've had my '08 SERK (Black and Silver) for 2 months now (2300 miles) and I cant believe how much I love this bike!  Never thought I would own, much less even like a bagger.  If this happened to me I would go totally "beserk" -pun intended-  :P.

We need more details about your problems with the fork locking (were you riding, parked, etc.), and pictures wouldn't hurt either!

Sorry to hear about your problems . . . keep us posted on how it gets resolved.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 10:02:58 AM »

I was gonna say, I never use the fork lock, then got confused...
You mean the forks locked in postion while riding???
WTF???

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 10:36:43 AM »

Haven't had any problem with fork lock.  Then again, it doesn't surprise me.  If it does lock up while riding, many riders gonna get hurt badly (or worse).  Can you give us more details so we know what to look for or when to expect that might happen?   :nixweiss:
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

skreminegul07

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • MA

• CVO1: 2017 Indian Chieftain Limited
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:03:38 PM »

HD is quick to act on these immediately dangerous situations.  Take pictures.
Any day on the bike is a good day.

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 02:12:54 PM »

Members...this is what happened, We were on Ca. 395, four lane section... there was an accident ahead and the two N.bound lanes were crawling along. S.bound lanes were zoooming by. I was in the right hand lane on the right side behind a long line of cars. Both N.bound lanes were full, but the inside lane was moving a bit faster. We were moving approx. 1-2 MPH when I attempted to move to the inside lane. When I did this...the forks locked at hard left. Here I was moving1-2 mph hard left turn with the forks locked and heading towards center double line with cars whipping by at 55-65 MPH. Needless to say, I was not going in at direction!!! I hit the brakes, some what hard and doing so (with the forks locked) slammed us to the ground. We did not get hurt...but the possiblites were certainly there.

What happens is...after un-locking the forks...and checking for unlocking...sometimes at low speed (in tight manuver) when I turn hard left...the forks will lock in the un-lock position. I have done a search on the subject and have read this is not an isolated incident. It's only isolated so far in my case as we were moving. I've read plenty of incidents were guys have locked there forks and not been able to unlock them durring road trips. Seems they have had to break in the system to just get the bikes on trailors so as to get them back home...ummmm.

My damage was...front fender (bottom) bent and all scratched up, front brake lever bent, throttle ened cap, missing. Front roll side bar, bent and scratched. floor board (tore up), right leather saddle bag (chrome guard, all scratched, leather tore up, right muffler guard, all scratched and dented.

As indicated above.... Harley wants to pick up the bike today and fix the lock. I then can have the bike back while (they say) the are ordering the parts to fix the damage. Needless to say, sure hope the latter pans out...and I'm not left out to dry! Muddy
Save The Wave...

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 02:19:46 PM »

Well, they will have a hard time passing this off as "normal", but you can bet somewhere in Wisconsin a group of lawyers is sitting in a room working on it. 

The fork lock on mine is a little clunky, and sometimes you have to push the bars hard left to unlock it, but I've not had it re-lock itself.  Does the barrel turn free?  I'm wondering if it is mostly unlocked and when the bars move into the full left position the pin catches?  Do you regularly use the fork lock?
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 02:24:32 PM »

Dang Muddy! 

Glad you are ok....That is just despicable if they have a known problem with that much safety at large, like the frozen motor issue...I never have used the fork lock, so just dumb luck on my side.

I wonder how they will spin this next product enhancement....Shameful....Really shameful...

Thanks for bringing this life or death safety issue forward.

Muddywaters

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »

Well, they will have a hard time passing this off as "normal", but you can bet somewhere in Wisconsin a group of lawyers is sitting in a room working on it. 

The fork lock on mine is a little clunky, and sometimes you have to push the bars hard left to unlock it, but I've not had it re-lock itself.  Does the barrel turn free?  I'm wondering if it is mostly unlocked and when the bars move into the full left position the pin catches?  Do you regularly use the fork lock?

I have to agree on the lawyer part...The barrel does turn free! It just simply locks, on hard left in the un-lock position. Sometimes (durring the road trip) after having it lock several times...I would get it to unlock, move the bars back and fourth (severl times) making sure it is unlocked...then on a hard left turn, the son of a gun would lock on me. Needless to say, being out of town, I would try and stay away from a hard left lock turn. The final instance above came about when we were almost home.

Did we use the lock regulary...no, not usualy. But on the road trip...Yes. Muddy
Save The Wave...

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 02:34:08 PM »

Jesus Tap Dancing Chrise!   :'(

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 02:40:07 PM »

This is very concerning. The RK lock is not like the FD lock. There is no knob to turn. You can't lock it without the key like an FD with the knob. I'm having a very diffucult time locking mine recently. I have to really yank it hard to the left to get the key to turn to lock it. I was dealing with that for now, but do not want to think about it locking itself when tuning the fork hard to the left. My front end will be coming apart after MV. New neck bearings, send my fork legs to Traxxion for service, and fix this damn lock correctly once and for all. And no, this will not be done at a dealer! FTF!, FTW! and FTD!!! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

hunter

• Elite CVO Member
  • Have rifle, will travel

• CVO1: 2008 SERK, Black & Silver with RH TD
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2008, 02:42:47 PM »

Glad you are OK Muddy.  You might want to spent $$ and talk to a lawyer just for your protection and future unforeseen issues.
Damn, I use mine everyday several times.  Although if it's gonna lock it doesn't matter if you use it or not.
Lack of money is the source of all evils.

Page created in 0.179 seconds with 20 queries.