Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: '09 110 Leaking Oil at 1,000 miles  (Read 7663 times)

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: SE Fat Bob Black Diamond/Fire Quartz
'09 110 Leaking Oil at 1,000 miles
« on: August 31, 2008, 12:11:01 AM »

Just due for the 1,000 mile service and the '09 SE Fat Bob is leaking oil on the right!  What a crying shame.  Sure hope this is not the first symptom of all the past 110 problems.  On top of the engine problem there is oil on the Leather and Alcantara Seat.   

Really loving my new bike.  Gonna be a real let down to find that the problems weren't resolved in the 09 110.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
Re: '09 110 Leaking Oil at 1,000 miles
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 12:19:08 AM »

Anyway to get/post pictures of the leak?

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired0d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 12:20:02 AM »

Where is the leak? Head gaskets were the main issue previously, mostly on the rear jug.

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 12:23:27 AM »

I may have freaked out and jumped the gun...I hope... Hoist told me to check the air cleaner for blow by.  Looks like the source of the oil IS the air cleaner.  Is this a serious problem.  There is oil all around where the air cleaner connects to the intake and everywhere behind it.

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 12:28:34 AM »

I may have freaked out and jumped the gun...I hope... Hoist told me to check the air cleaner for blow by.  Looks like the source of the oil IS the air cleaner.  Is this a serious problem.  There is oil all around where the air cleaner connects to the intake and everywhere behind it.

Excessive blowby with only 1K miles is not good. Have you been running it hard ie high speed/rpm for long periods of time? Also where is your oil level?  You can run it so that the oil level is just above the add mark and that may help as well.

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 12:39:13 AM »

Excessive blowby with only 1K miles is not good. Have you been running it hard ie high speed/rpm for long periods of time? Also where is your oil level?  You can run it so that the oil level is just above the add mark and that may help as well.

Make sure the rubber hoses that connect the breather to the A/C are not kinked anywhere and that the have a smooth run from the head into the A/C. Check your oil level. No more than 1/2 up the dipstick when hot. I'll bet you don't hve excessive oil puking. Prolly just like the rest of em. Doesn't take much oil mist to make a big mess. If you find that you can't control it, bring it back and do a leakdown test. But if it's just normal puking, you might want to replumb it, and pipe it from the head to the ground or a cannister. ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 12:53:50 AM »

The bike has been broke in by the book.  Not one time at heavy rpms. 

It does look though as the oil source is at the breather.  There is a stain on the block just behind the front head, on the right where oil had been slightly pooled there.  And of course where it's blown back all down the right side.  I realize that a little oil goes a long way. 

Is this the early symptoms of the 110 issues?

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 10:09:09 AM »

The bike has been broke in by the book.  Not one time at heavy rpms. 

It does look though as the oil source is at the breather.  There is a stain on the block just behind the front head, on the right where oil had been slightly pooled there.  And of course where it's blown back all down the right side.  I realize that a little oil goes a long way. 

Is this the early symptoms of the 110 issues?

No, this hasn't got anything to do with the previous 110 issues.  It is rather strange for a blowby issue to show up this early, and especially if the bike isn't ridden hard, but my first guess would be that the oil tank was over filled.  Take off the air cleaner cover, clean out the mess, reset the oil tank level to halfway between Add and Full, and try again.  If it still does this, take it back to the dealer.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 03:46:38 PM »

I removed the air cleaner and wiped it out.  There was no pool of oil just a slight film.  The oil level is at about 2/3 full hot.  Rode about 10 miles and checked for oil on the air cleaner, it was clean. 

The only thing I haven't mentioned before is that yesterday (when the problem showed up) the engine started rough twice.  Hadn't seen this before and didn't think much of it.  When cranking it kicked back...sounded terrible but started normally on the next crank each time.  I'm new to the 110, well HD engines period.  I'm wondering could there be oil in the breather because of the kick backs or is the kick back associated with oil in the breather?

Sure do apprieciate all of the help & advice.  Don't know what everyone did before this site!  I've learned alot here in the last few weeks.

stekat

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »

I had a similar leak on my '08 CUSE3.  Mine turned out to be leaking from the breather bolts that exit each head.  There's a steel bracket that runs between each head and is sandwiched between the air cleaner and the heads (I'm assuming your Fat Bob is using this bracket also).  The air cleaner assembly has an "O" ring seal to the bracket; but the bracket has NO seal to the head.  Oil can migrate thru the breather bolt threads and show from behind the bracket.  My fix was to machine a recess into the bracket and use an o-ring to seal. 

For you, just remove the two beather bolts and seal the threads before reinstalling with Lock Tight or Hylomar; be careful not to plug the holes in the bolts themselves. 

Another solution would be to use the aluminum breather bolt crush washers that the MoCo used to use to seal the bolts. 

If you're not handy, have the dealer do it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:56:26 PM by stekat »

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 11:00:28 AM »

I had a similar leak on my '08 CUSE3.  Mine turned out to be leaking from the breather bolts that exit each head.  (There's a steel bracket that runs between each head and is sandwiched between the air cleaner and the heads I'm assuming your Fat Bob is using this bracket also).  The air cleaner assembly has an "O" ring seal to the bracket; but the bracket has NO seal to the head.  Oil can migrate thru the breather bolt threads and show from behind the bracket.  My fix was to machine a recess into the bracket and use an o-ring to seal. 

For you, just remove the two beather bolts and seal the threads before reinstalling with Lock Tight or Hylomar; be careful not to plug the holes in the bolts themselves. 

Another solution would be to use the aluminum breather bolt crush washers that the MoCo used to use to seal the bolts. 

If you're not handy, have the dealer do it.

If I'm not mistaken, the black cross bracket that goes between the heads to hold the outboard end of the TB gets removed when installing the SE AC. ('08 SE touring only, maybe '08 SE Dyna, not sure) The bracket holds the TB stable because the rear of the plastic AC box on the '08 SE touring bikes does not have any support.

On the new SE AC, the rear aluminum round bracket mounting plate bolts up to the breather points on the heads and then also supports the outboard mounting for the TB.

When you remove the black cross brace on an '08 the new SE rear bracket mount takes it's place.  When this is done the o-rings in the new SE bracket mate nicely to the head bosses; no leaks for me and not rework on any part.

The black cross brace is now of the of the "extra" original parts in a box in the basement.  I believe the '07 touring bikes used the SE rear aluminum bracket mounting plate as stock and all you needed was a new filter element.  On the '08s that cost us $150.00..

It's been a while since I did my SE AC, but I'm quite sure that's how it worked.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2008, 11:41:42 PM »

Seems problem is solved.  Removed the SE Heavy Breather cleaned and recharged.  It would seem pretty straight forward with the heavy breather being exposed to the elements and all that it could get wet and dirty pretty quickly.  It also seems obvious that if the breather is plugged much at all it could start "sucking" oil.  Seems to me that if the breather is functioning properly oil could never pool in the breather tube as mine did.  And I'm talking about a very small amount of oil.  Wiped out the oil, cleaned the oil from the gasket, recharged the breather and not a drop so far.

Am I just being too optimistic?  I plan on keeping a close eye on it and recharging the breather often.

ryr8828dj

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 01:45:44 AM »

Thought I'd update... cleaning the heavy breather solved the problem.  Not a drop since...  :apple: Fingers crossed and looking forward to the 09 110 as a solid engine.  Of course the extended warranty is on my must do list!

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 05:50:27 AM »

Fortunately it was not a "classic oile leak"  ;)

colcop

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 07:08:05 AM »

Hi,

I have just had a similar problem, my 2007 CVO Road King has just had a 1000 mile service (bought it a month ago and had it
serviced to make sure all was OK).

Anyway, there I was on my first bike run for over 30years with three mates and my gleaming blue bike...............
After a stint at about 60mph in 5th gear, the neutral light came on and then dimmed in and out so I pulled over.

As soon as I stopped, the bit vibrated very badly - could hardly hold the handlebars. Killed the engine and saw oil
all over the left side of the engine - lots of smoke from it burning too.

It appeared to come from somewhere around the oil cooler/filter and was also dripping out of the aircleaner.

Bike ambulance back to the dealer and wait for diagnosis.................... :nixweiss:

Anyone have any ideas as I am somewhat clueless about modern bikes. My last ride was a 1973 Norton Commando!

Many thanks............
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 24 queries.