Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cee Bailey's Dark Grey Windshields  (Read 6577 times)

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
Cee Bailey's Dark Grey Windshields
« on: September 18, 2008, 12:23:39 AM »

I received my 10 and 12 inch Cee Bailey's dark grey windshields today. Of course, I had to immediately leave work for the day and proceeded to install the 12 inch windshield then headed out for about a 1/2 hour ride. When I got back home I installed the 10 inch windshield and went for another 1/2 hour ride. I came home again and reinstalled the 12 inch windshield and headed out again for another 1/2 hour and did the same again with the 10 inch windshield.

I am 5'10" with a 30" inseam so this report reflects how these two windshields worked for a rider my height. The quality and fit of both windshields were excellent. Keep in mind that these windshields are both dark grey tint.

Cee Bailey's 12 inch windshield seemed about 1" too tall for me and I felt that I had to force myself to be sitting up straight and tall...no slouching, however, the windshield performed quite well and the wind was not a problem at all. I could easily hear the radio at 6 bars volume (I have J&M Road Glide Speakers) and I didn't have the wind pounding my ears at all. I took it up to 85 mph and still was not affected with the wind and the radio sound was still good. The negative for me was that when I crested any hill, I could not see over the top of the windshield and had to look through windshield (dark grey tint) and it was not ideal so the 12 inch height for this reason just didn't feel right. When I entered into corners, the windshield height distracted me and again, it just didn't feel right. I feel that a 12 inch windshield with a light tint would be a great touring or cold weather height...just not the dark grey.

Cee Bailey's 10 inch is the height that I feel most comfortable with at this time with the stock seat and stock handlebars. I am changing out the handlebars to Wild1 517's and I will be getting a Corbin seat (hopefully soon), and I feel that the 10 inch will still be a good height. The Cee Bailey's 10 inch windshield had the wind passing right at the top of my helmet and I could slightly feel the wind going past my ears, but it was nothing at all like the constant pounding that you get from the wind with the stock windshield. The radio sounded just as good as with the 12 inch windshield and I could easily hear the radio at 6 bars volume. When I crested hills, I could see the road over the top of the windshield and I was very comfortable entering and riding through the corners. I feel that I could still ride at night with the 10 inch dark tinted windshield since I am looking over the top of it even when I am slouching down a bit in my seat.

I did the 50 foot test with both windshields when I got home the last time and I was able to see slightly over the top of the 10 inch windshield to the mark on the ground 50 feet away. With the 12 inch windshield, I was clearly looking through the windshield at the mark on the ground 50 feet away. For cold weather riding or long distance riding, I might consider using a 12 inch lightly tinted windshield, otherwise I think that I will be using the Cee Bailey's 10 inch dark grey windshield.

Here are comparison pictures:
Cee Bailey's 10"

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
Re: Cee Bailey's Dark Grey Windshields
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 12:24:29 AM »

Cee Bailey's 10"

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 12:25:10 AM »

Cee Bailey's 10"

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 12:25:52 AM »

Cee Bailey's 10"

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 12:26:42 AM »

Cee Bailey's 12"

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 12:27:30 AM »

Cee Bailey's 12"

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 12:28:18 AM »

Cee Bailey's 12"

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 12:29:05 AM »

Cee Bailey's 12"

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 09:32:04 AM »

very helpful writeup.  i like the way it looks alot.  I had a -1 Clearview on my 08 RG and liked it, but like the looks of this on much better.  it seems to be several inches shorter than that Clearview one.  Once I get my SERG in December I will give that a shot.  Ted

customryder

• Senior CVO Member
  • I'LL be your Huckelberry.

• CVO1: fxr4 2000 orange
    • CVO2: flhtcse 2004 blue/black
    • CVO3: CVO3 2005 elecrta glide CVO4 2009 roaglide CVO5 2012 roadglide skunk CVO6 2013 cvo roadglide atomic orange
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 06:59:11 PM »

thanks for the pic.. how much $$ for the 10''... also is the shield thicker that stock?
2009 cvo road glide...2007 streetglide...................... cvo member #513
2009 f-350 Harley edt.

roady

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 07:16:03 PM »

How do there shields compare to the clearviews as far as price and quality? Do they come with the gasket in place like the clearviews? I am 6'1" so your opinion should I go with the 12" ?

Thanks and they do look good on there. The factory one looks great on there but not much for functionality.
09 SERG Electric Orange
05 VW Golf Diesel
00 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel

Guilty

• Got Dead?
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 12:12:56 PM »

The stock windshield is pretty rigid and I don't think the Cee Bailey's is any thicker. The 10" was $98.00 and the 12" was $104.00. The Cee Bailey windshields don't come with a replacement gasket. I used the stock gasket and it seems to work fine. I received the Cee Bailey windshield about 10 days after I placed my order and I am very satisfied with the delivery time. I have a 11 1/2" Clearview light tint on order so I can't compare the two manufacturer brands at this time. I intend to use the Clearview windshield for poor weather riding.

roady, I would think that the 12" would work good for you, if not you could always have it cut it down a 1/2" or 1".

Probably the best way to determine what size of windshield will work best is to step off 50 feet, go for a ride around the block so you are sitting in your typical riding position on your bike and look at your mark. Have somebody help you measure the line of sight so you will be looking over the windshield - this is especially important for the dark grey windshield because it is very distracting to look through the windshield. I was really uncomfortable looking through the 12" windshield approaching the top of a hill - it felt unsafe since I could not clearly see the road. If it was a light tint, the 12" wouldn't bother me a bit.

jack7507

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 03:58:56 PM »

I just a new Cee Bailey 15" inch on my 2000 SERG today and just got back from an extended first ride.

I am not a happy camper!

The 5" windshield that I had before was windy and buffeted my helmet somewhat; enough that I was not comfortable with it.

But the Cee Baily is about the same amount of buffet but feels like being continually hit in the sides of the helmet with sharper blows!

This is probably due to the air spilling off the sides of the taller windshield.

I've owned about 20 bikes over the last 40 years and the SERG is probably the worst for wind in the helmet; most probably because the windshield is so far forward of the rider.

I love this bike! Does anybody have a windshield that works on these things?

Jack

bribe36

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SERG
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 11:53:01 PM »

Thanks for the report Guilty, very helpfull. What are doing with the 12"?

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 24 queries.