Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: Installing Fullsac Baffles on 09 CVO Road Glide  (Read 147753 times)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
Re: Installing Fullsac Baffles on 09 CVO Road Glide
« Reply #120 on: November 22, 2008, 04:49:08 PM »

Well, so far, I have matching mufflers.  I put a hole in the 2nd one in the exact same spot.  Both are on the dead bottom on the muffler and from measuring, it looks like they are less than 1/16th inch from the spot where I need to drill a hole anyway to bolt the Fullsac in.  I think by the time I drill my hole there, it will get rid of the 2nd hole in the process.

This 2nd muffler is going no better than the first.  I have a problem with the Dremel whereas I can't get the bit tightened well enough...there is a problem with the lock mechanism... so the bit keeps coming loose or falling out.  I'm going to take it back tomorrow, since I just bought it recently. 

Anyway, I've got plenty of time to complete this stage, since my Fullsac's probably won't be here until the end of next week and my core bit hasn't arrived to do the cat converter either.  Looks like I'm making this into a full-time long-term project.

DonT

« Reply #121 on: November 22, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »

I just did mine on 08 SERK, put in 2" cores used the 1/4 x 1/4 inch Brown Cylinder Grinding Stone, 1/8 inch shank took about 10 minutes each weld.  just laid the flat side of the grinding stone against the inside muffler body and pushed the end of the grinding stone against the weld.  Used a short pipe and a hammer to drive out the baffle from the header end of the muff..  Took a few solid taps of the hammer on the pipe.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2008, 08:02:13 PM »

I'm not going to do any more until I exchange this Dremel for one that works properly and I'll pick up one of those cylinder grinders while I'm at it.  Thanks DonT.  If I can get it to do the job quickly, then I'll spread the word.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2008, 08:46:14 PM »

Sorry I had to be away, I could have helped more earlier. Did not use a bitI used the same as DonT. Grinding wheel. Cleaned the slag off with it and then a sanding drum in the dremel. Did you do this job with the mufflers on or off. much easier on and the scoot up on the jackstand.
I may be re-installing the insulation, heard that it will direct the "potato" to the rear instead of it dissipating to the sides and rear. So don't trash yours yet.
Enough beverages during this process helps.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #124 on: November 22, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »

I actually just posted a bit ago in another thread that I spoke with Steve at Fullsac and he suggested not removing the insulation.  He said with the insulation the sound is not quite as loud, but sounds great.  He said that if you remove the insulation, the sound gets a little tinny.

I'm actually working on the mufflers with them laying on a shelf that is about chest high and I have a overhead flourescent lights and a drag light mounted in direct line with the subject area.  I don't think I could get better positioning to do the job.

I'm going to try the grinding wheel tomorrow.  I'm sure I could finish with the bit I'm using, but I'd rather try to see what works better between the two, so I can pass that info along. 

I really appreciate the input from you guys.

DonT

« Reply #125 on: November 23, 2008, 07:03:05 PM »

I just sat on my second step on my garage walk-up ,set the muff (standing up) on a piece of carpet. put the muffs between my legs, put the work about 1' from my face.  To save allot of work on the welds, just ground what was overlapping the baffle plate and the muff, not the weld on the baffle plate.  Here is a pic of the Dremel I used, you have the bit from previous post.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #126 on: November 23, 2008, 08:43:55 PM »

I can get at it much better with the cylinder grinder.  I got one to break free, but can't seem to get the other side to break.  I took a break and I'll get it finished tonight or tomorrow.  No big rush here.

Zipper104

« Reply #127 on: November 23, 2008, 11:40:46 PM »

I feel your pain. I used the same bit (9901?) and I wouldn't recommend it. I was about 40 minutes on the one side and less than 20 on the side I didn't spend the extra time punching a hole in it. Mine is at the top that will be hidden by the bag. I'm figuring some day to strip the chrome and do a repair and re-chrome 'em. That, or buy another set of stockers.

Z

I can get at it much better with the cylinder grinder.  I got one to break free, but can't seem to get the other side to break.  I took a break and I'll get it finished tonight or tomorrow.  No big rush here.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2008, 12:02:41 AM »

I got the #932 Dremel tonight and it is much easier to use and get to the welds.  I haven't finished the other weld on my 2nd muffler yet, but I will get to it tomorrow and it will work for me.  The problem I am having with this weld is that the baffle was bent a little when they welded and left a gap between the baffle and the muffler, and the weld apparently filled the gap and that part I can't get at until it breaks free.  I'm assuming it will break free after I get about every little bit of what is exposed.  This baffle had gaps in areas all around the circumference.  A pretty crummy show of workmanship.

grit

• GRIT
  • Junior CVO Member
  • CVO 2009; FLHTCUSE Stardust Silver/Twilight Blue
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2008, 04:46:12 PM »

I also used a dremel with the first grinding bit i found in the case. Ground the 4 welds off in about 45 minutes ... working carefully of course. The bit is now shot but so what!  Did this very simple procedure early last week before even ordering the FullSac baffels. You see I keep everything so i had the stock mufflers off my old 07 seuc, which BTW I'm told, are the same as on the 09 seuc, so i ground the 07 mufflers first. I'm trying the 2.0' replacements baffels. OK, got to be honest here ... I also ruined the "chuck" in the dremel, because the bit shafts are so short,  :oops: but i can replace the "chuck" for very little cost. (I Hope) Are we having fun yet? ;)

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #130 on: November 24, 2008, 07:17:25 PM »

I got the mufflers apart and the baffles out.  Just awaiting my Fullsacs now and my coring bit got her today, so it's time to go work on the cat.  The grinding cylinder worked so much better for me.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

« Reply #131 on: December 03, 2008, 04:49:40 PM »

I received my Fullsac's finally...UPS took 12 days to get them here.  I installed them last night...what a breeze to put them in once you have everything ready to go...not even 10 minutes to have both mufflers done.  I took it to the shop today for my SERT download and went for a nice long ride.  I checked my phone a few hours after I left the shop.  There was a message from one of the salesmen at the dealer.  He wanted to let me know that he had just walked outside when I was leaving and that my pipes sound awesome.  He said there were 3 guys in the parking lot that came right over to him and asked what kind of pipes those were and that they wanted a set.  I already knew that I liked them when the mechanic took my bike for a test ride...I went outside to listen to him ride away.  I got the 2.25" and I left the insulation in the mufflers.  They have a nice deep tone, and plenty of volume, but not even close to obnoxiously loud.  I am really pleased with these, not only for the sound, but also they are quite a bargain compared to changing out the entire system, like I was planning.  I said somewhere in an earlier post that I would give an objective opinion, and believe me...I was not expecting to like these.  It was definitely worth the torture of grinding those welds out.

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #132 on: December 03, 2008, 07:04:33 PM »

Very Cool.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

cola

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #133 on: December 03, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »

My 2" fullsac's came today. I ordered them Monday, 2 days. Helps to be only 225 miles from Havasu.
After talking to Steve on Monday I decided to cut my exhaust in half and remove the cat 100%. I get home yesterday and low & behold, full instructions with pictures.
Thanks, Mike

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #134 on: December 03, 2008, 08:41:46 PM »

My 2" fullsac's came today. I ordered them Monday, 2 days. Helps to be only 225 miles from Havasu.
After talking to Steve on Monday I decided to cut my exhaust in half and remove the cat 100%. I get home yesterday and low & behold, full instructions with pictures.
Thanks, Mike

HELL YEA>>>>> Get that Power Robber out of there and let it breathe, I get my pipe  back tomorrow. What have you noticed, is it louder and did it hit harder, In other words what did the Azz Dyno say??? Thanks Greg
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.