Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: True duals a myth?  (Read 2263 times)

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
True duals a myth?
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:12:15 PM »

I really do not understand how the true dual myth got started. Other than alcohol fuel applications a collector is a damn good bet. Header diameter and length before the collector are important as well.  I have ridden a few fast true dual HD bikes for sure but I know more can be had, even in that all important mid range. A 2 into 1 or any type of merging method has it's benifits. HD has known and has crudely tied all of their systems together for years. I will stick with the stock 2 into 1 to 2 untill some one manufactures a real aforementioned performance pipe. please bring on the rebuttals.
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

REGGAB

Re: True duals a myth?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 09:29:55 PM »

I really do not understand how the true dual myth got started. Other than alcohol fuel applications a collector is a damn good bet. Header diameter and length before the collector are important as well.  I have ridden a few fast true dual HD bikes for sure but I know more can be had, even in that all important mid range. A 2 into 1 or any type of merging method has it's benifits. HD has known and has crudely tied all of their systems together for years. I will stick with the stock 2 into 1 to 2 untill some one manufactures a real aforementioned performance pipe. please bring on the rebuttals.

Concur.  BTDTGTTS

AXIL

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 09:38:50 PM »

highwaystar, are you saing the stock system may be as good as most of the other systems that are on the market?
  yes the catch phase true duals is over rated ,but the factory touring exh. is only good for emissions and low end torque . please expand.   axil
I CAME INTO THIS WORLD WITH NOTHING AND I GOT MOST OF IT LEFT  
AHH,MOONSHINE THE OTHER WHITE MEAT

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 10:01:51 PM »

No argument here...I put V&H true duals on my 2008 and it killed the power. 

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »

I started a poll a couple of years ago and this thread has lots of opinions on type of head pipe configurations.
http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=9490.0

I contacted both Vance and Hines  and S&S for performance info and they agreed with above. For a full dresser if you didn't want to loose low and midrange torque then stick with the stock header and use slip-on mufflers. Or go to a 2 into 1 setup.

guppytrash

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 12:22:32 AM »

My 08 lost power but it did sound great!  I had Supertrapp SE slip-ons on V&H true duals.  Stage 1 and a High flow air cleaner and it would not stay with any stock 96" bike.  Fourth gear at 40mph roll the throttle open and watch the stock bike pull away.  Switched riders and same results.
Again it did sound great!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 10:54:21 AM »

I really do not understand how the true dual myth got started. Other than alcohol fuel applications a collector is a damn good bet. Header diameter and length before the collector are important as well.  I have ridden a few fast true dual HD bikes for sure but I know more can be had, even in that all important mid range. A 2 into 1 or any type of merging method has it's benefits. HD has known and has crudely tied all of their systems together for years. I will stick with the stock 2 into 1 to 2 until some one manufactures a real aforementioned performance pipe. please bring on the rebuttals.

Your talking stock applications then the factory 2 into 1 to 2 cant be beat. But when folks start ramping up cams and pumping up compression and all the wild things, then a good 2 into 1 cant be beat. Many folks stick with the True Duals because they offer relatively good performance, but most important good looks. Not to mention eliminating most of the heat with the factory set up. You wont lose any arguments in the completely stock set up for sure but i think you will with even the mild stage up upgrades.   :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 10:56:00 AM by sportygordy »

Gecko

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 07:29:11 AM »

Only reason I did it was to get rid of that split pipe in back radiating heat.  A single pipe on a touring bike looks goofy, and a dummy (ghost :pumpkin:) pipe is kind of like sticking a rear wing on a front wheel drive car.  HD is trying to combine the two with their internal cross-over, but with the cats inside people are changing them anyway.  If I was after ultimate performance I wouldn't have bought an eight hundred pound air-cooled single-throw split-intake pushrod 5500 rpm redline tall-geared aerodynamically challenged road sled.  And it sounds okay too.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 12:36:03 PM by Gecko »
2007 SERK3, SERT, V&H Dresser Duals, Monster Ovals, IDS, HID, knocking sound, valve noise.

If you think it's the journey not the destination you don't live in Nebraska.

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 07:12:28 PM »

Only reason I did it was to get rid of that split pipe in back radiating heat.  A single pipe on a touring bike looks goofy, and a dummy (ghost :pumpkin:) pipe is kind of like sticking a rear wing on a front wheel drive car.  HD is trying to combine the two with their internal cross-over, but with the cats inside people are changing them anyway.  If I was after ultimate performance I wouldn't have bought an eight hundred pound air-cooled single-throw split-intake pushrod 5500 rpm redline tall-geared aerodynamically challenged road sled.  And it sounds okay too.
:huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

timo482

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »

ive read a lot of dyno charts. the stock hd bagger headers can only be beat by a 2 into 1.

the 4" harley mufflers are really pretty good, but v&h slip ons are very good.

the ONLY good reason to change either one of them is to make it louder or to look better.

for performance, dyno, heads, air, etc, leave the exh headers alone.....

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2008, 12:10:31 AM »

So, in essence, you are saying to stick with the stock head pipes with the catalytic converters, and add some slip-ons if I want a little more sound.  The only way I would go with a 2-1 is with the dummy pipe, since I do like the dual look.  I thought I saw that someone was coming out with the 2-1 and dummy pipe soon for '09 (I think it may have been D&D, but I'm not positive).

If I add just the slip-ons, will I add any performance? (I'll put a fuel mgmt system and breather of course).  I'm assuming that should be enough for a recognizable difference in performance.

Page created in 0.157 seconds with 21 queries.