Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: FXR2 Replacement Of 21" Front Wheel to 19" Front Wheel & Attachment Of Saddlebag  (Read 18665 times)

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
  • LET IT BREATHHHHEEEE BABY LET IT BREATHEEEE

Hello everyone......

Some time ago I put together a thread over on Harley Tech Talk that described a couple of projects I had done to my 1999 Arresting Red FXR2, I have learned recently that Harley Tech Talk is moving their site so all of the "data" that has been available about this modification that I did to my bike back in 2006 will not be able to be linked as easily so I have decided to copy and paste the contents of that thread over here so it has another permanent location....anyway.....here is the essence of two modifications I have done to my bike:

1) Replacement of My 21" Spoked Wheel to a 19" Spoked Wheel
2) Addition Of Leather FXRSC-CONV Saddlebags which are OEM Features of the 1989-1993 FXRSC-CONV Bike, requiring the alteration and movement of my rear turn signals.

SO Here Are The Projects:

« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 03:30:16 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
Re: FXR2 Saddlebag Project & Replacement Of 21" Front Wheel to 19" Front Wheel
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 03:22:51 PM »

Well I have done a couple of projects to my Arresting Red 1999 FXR2.....and who knows perhaps it may help someone.....some of you may know that the 1999 FXR2's were brought out with the 21" laced wheel, I decided that perhaps a 19" a buddy of mine thought that the 19" would be a more "balanced" look and that it would handle better, so when I purchased this bike in 2005 I purchased a 19" wheel laced wheel and put it up in my attic for a "future" project.  Some of you may realize that the 2000 FXR4 did come with the 19" laced wheel in front with 2 rotors....this same buddy "spotted" a brand new FXR3 primed fender which had never been installed so I got it on ebay for $44.00.  So what you see in the photos with the 19" laced wheel is also a arresting red FXR3 fender.  I JUST got it back from my painter and he painted it "blind" without a paint code, as most of us know, the FXR2's, FXR3's, and FXR4's are "restricted paint" colors....so he did a perfect job....the cost for painting the fender was $100.00.  Only one of the original FXR models  was produced from 1982- 1994 had the 21" laced front wheel.....do you guys know which one?

Project A

Wheel Project  Costs:

HD # 43312-84  19" laced wheel   $283.00
HD#  59524-89  FXR3 front fender  $44.05  ebay cost
19" Metzler  100/90                          $147.49 ***     tire & balanced
Paint Fender                                   $100.00
                                                   ----------
                                                   $575.00
*** not really a cost since you have to purchase tires all of the time.  

I decided to continue to use the same rotor.....

Here is a photo of my FXR2 with the OEM 21" Front Wheel:

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:46:50 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2008, 03:23:41 PM »

Again Another Photo Of My FXR2 with the OEM 21" Spoked Front Wheel:

[NOTE: Please remember that putting your curser next to the paper clip icon below the photo will allow you to enlarge the photo plus save it to your computer if you desire OR if you merely wish to see it enlarged simply put your curser on the photo and "LEFT" click and it will enlarge]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:47:18 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2008, 03:24:06 PM »

Here is a Photo of My 1999 Arresting Red FXR2 with the 19" Front Wheel Modification:
Also notice the relocation of the rear turn signals which will be mentioned shortly in more detail.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:47:38 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2008, 03:24:33 PM »

Here is a Photo of My 1999 Arresting Red FXR2 with the 19" Front Wheel Modification:
Also notice the relocation of the rear turn signals which will be mentioned shortly in more detail.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:47:58 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2008, 03:24:59 PM »

Project 2:  The Addition Of The Leather FXRSC-CONV Saddlebags:

I decided I wanted to put some saddlebags on my FXR for those longer day trips or long rides, and after doing some research discovered that the FXRS-Convertible bikes featured leather saddlebags from 1989-1993, since they offer an “original” look as to what was a OEM feature of the FXRS-Convertible bike I began my search for a set of  OEM leather saddlebags.  What you  also see the on the bike are a set of the FXRS-CONVERTIBLE saddlebags......
Over the years I have located several sets of FXRS-Convertible saddlebags and what you see in the photos here are "BRAND NEW" FXRS-Convertible Leather Saddlebags.  The amazing thing about this project was having to find all of the parts.....the easiest way is to get a copy of a parts book and photo copy the pages associated with the saddlebag assembly for any 1989-1993 FXRS-Convertible bike.  This project required RELOCATING the turn signals from their "production" location to a NEW location where I decided to place them...using a laid down license plate from JP Cycles.  This was a fun project...so you will see photos with the bags and without....I will also show you a couple of photos of how I did the turn signals....NOW my FXR2 can be used with or without bags and I believe with still a "Great Look" by using this “quick release” set up which takes only about 7 minutes total to install and remove completely.

This Photo Depicts The 19" Front Wheel Modification As well as the Attachment of the FXRS-CONV Leather Saddlebags:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:48:25 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 03:25:27 PM »

If anyone wants a "parts" list just e~mail me direct.....the cost of doing this project [FOR ME]was $620.00 which included the cost of the saddle bags as well as the cost of the hardware for the attachment of the contact points, and also inclusive of the cost of the hardware required for the relocation of the rear turn signals......the "wild card" however is perhaps finding the bags and how much you will pay for them.....they are quite difficult to find and becoming even more difficult, back in 2006 when I did this project the bags were a bit easier to find, each year these bags get more and more difficult as HD is no longer producing the bags NEW anymore......and some of you may even feel after seeing the photo that those bags are "butt" ugly and wouldn't want them anyway.....but for me it was sort of fun to go to the "old school" and find the bags, they work perfectly.

This was really a fun project and actually when I am one up I can have 2 saddlebags, the duffle bag you see in the photo + a T~Bag and I am ready to go any distance with a complete luggage set up.

Oh and that is an FXR3 seat you see on there besides the badlander.  The FXR3 seat is Sooooooooooo  comfortable......it's awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Another Photo Depicting Both The 19" Wheel Modification as well as the attachment of the FXRS-CONV Saddlebags:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:28:42 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 03:25:50 PM »

Since I did NOT like the looks going back to the 1989-1993 FXRS-Convertible or any dynas for that matter that use a "relocation kit" that incorporates a long bar on the back of a Straight up and down license plate holder.....it just did not serve the purpose of "eye candy"  ................it looks unappealing to me.....So ONE OF THE HARDEST PARTS of making up my mind to add the Convertible saddle bags to my FXR2 and still have my bike "look" “reasonably “good” in my mind was to figure out how I would relocate the turn signals.  Also I didn't want to "permanently" alter my bike with any modifications....so even cutting the wires was a "hard" decision" but once I "snipped" them the project began.....and so by going through the license plate holder with the wires if I ever decided to go back to the "original" look of the bike (and even as I say that I would never understand why I would...this is a PERFECT solution for touring with the bike...hence forth even why Harley made the FXRS-Convertible to begin with).....off come the brackets and snip the wires again and rewire underneath and waahhhllaaa back to original...nothing permanently altered in the fender......I happen to actually feel this is a better "look" for the turn signals anyway even when the bags aren't on since they don't stick so far out on the sides......

Here is the parts list for doing Convertible saddlebags to any FXR as well as to an FXR2.  If anyone decides to do these saddlebags to an FXR3 or FXR4 one must either decide to drill into the “plastic”: "larger" side cover as the "covers" on the FXR3 and FXR4 are bigger and cover the spot where one of the bracket holders must be attached....so either drilling the plastic and slipping it through or deciding to go with side covers from an older FXR or FXR2 is an option or buying a second set of "larger" covers and altering them while keeping the original ones is also another alternative....any quality painter will be able to perfectly match the "restricted" colors of the FXR3’s or FXR4’s since each side cover is a solid color in that location.  

A Photo Showing the OEM FXRSC-CONV Leather Saddlebag Up Close:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:49:15 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 03:26:14 PM »

One alteration to be aware of....everyone's belt guard is different I would assume....so before going down the road be sure and look at fitment carefully to see if the bags are going to hit your current pipe on the right side and on the left pay attention to the belt guard bolt that attaches the belt guard to the sprocket holder area....if that bolt protrudes out to far it will rub on the ABS side (back side) of the saddle bag but by adding a couple of spacers to where you attach the knobs to the holes of the brackets you can cause the saddle bag to protrude out just enough to keep this from happening....it's a pretty logical fix or alteration....just make sure everything will ride ok before taking off...

Warning Warning Warning................ ----------->  Make sure when you attach the bags that the knobs you tighten to accomplish this are hand tightened until you can't possibly hand tighten them anymore....tight tight tight.....and tighter but only hand tighten...I assure you, YOU WILL NOT strip anything out.....Just TIGHTEN!!!! Don't be worried about stripping the knobs or the rubber ends..JUST TIGHTEN....AND before YOU TAKE OFF...make sure that when you attached these bags you actually did do what I have just said, that they are TIGHT......DON'T ASK WHY.....just do it!!!!!!  Don't use a pair of plyers or anything else to tighten them as you could break the knobs but TIGHTEN TIGHTEN TIGHTEN....these bags cost money.....you don't want to see yourself dragging a bag from behind at 40 - 70 miles an hour because one of the attachments worked itself loose because you didn't tighten the knob tightly enough......I SAID DON'T ASK.....ok do you get it...TIGHTEN TIGHTEN TIGHTEN....but only HAND TIGHT!!!!!!! NO tools necessary and when you think about it check them out when you get gas until you are comfortable that the way you tightened them they have remained.....which they will.....I said DON'T ASK.....just TIGHTEN!!!!!

Here is a photo depicting where the three points of "contact" are that attach the FXRSC-CONV Leather Saddlebags To My 1999 FXR2:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:49:36 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »

Parts List:

90702-89   Left Saddlebag
90703-89   Right Saddlebag
90706-89   Raincoat, Left
90708-89   Raincoat, Right

Hardware Needed:

2        Bolts SAE Grade #8  These bolts attach the lower mounting bracket to the frame and also attach the foot pegs to bike frame and to the mounting bracket….These bolts vary on desired length because it all is determined on how far out you wish for your passenger pegs to go out.  The part number of 4081 aren’t long enough so go to Ace to find the right ones.

7145W       (4) Lockwashers  $1.40
7643W       (4) Jam Nuts          $.72
90351-89    1 Mounting Bracket  Left      $42.50
90350-89    1 Mounting Bracket  Right    $42.50
90359-89    2 Well Nut Receptacle Black Upper Front  $8.50 ea    $17.00
90360-89    2 Well Nut Stud  Dull Chrome Receptacle  $9.00 ea    $18.00
                  -these Dull Chrome Receptical studs go where the turn signals use to
                   be located
2 Black 1 Dull Chrome Covers/Plugs you can purchase the plugs from ACE hardware these plugs cover up the Well Nut Receptacles which I use black for and the "Well Nut" Stud receptacles which I use a dull chrome for.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:49:55 AM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 03:27:32 PM »

Parts Required For Relocation Of Turn Signals:

70540-02   Dyna & Softail Rear Fender Conduit Kit    $10.30
this kit is used to rerout your wires on the underneath side of your fender so the
"loose" wires don't just hang down rub your tire....the "conduit" is a rubber sleeve that wires fit through.....

53820-00   Directional Relocation Kit   $31.96
-which includes two 68999-00 Rear Directional Studs For Wires To Go Through
this kit is really works well as you can see by the close up photo....these "studs" allow enough length so the turn signals do not hit the edge of your license plate.....works perfectly.

49-0044     Lay down License Plate from Custom Chrome which can be purchased through JP cycles, your indpendent dealer, Dennis Kirk  aprx $24.84 when you purchase the lay down license plate there are NO holes in the side you have to do this yourself...and in order to attach the bolt to the back side (or inside of the license plate) of the license plate you will have to use a "dremmel tool" to "grind" out some of the backing of the license plate" to provide enough room for the bolt to be turned and tightened.  This will all make sense when you slip the "stud" through the hole you drill out of the side of the license plate. You ALSO must make sure that you locate the hole you are going to drill to be able to turn the nut on the stud inside of the plate....so you have to accurately "eyeball" the location to drill so you don't go to far to either edge....This will make sense when you have the parts in your hand.

Ok next in order to secure your license plate to your fender and to allow the wires for the left and right turn signal to go through the license plate into the turn signals and without DRILLING INTO YOUR FENDER you need some "hollow bolts that can be used to still secure your lay down license plate holder to your fender thus the following part numbers assist with this:

H27-0277   Pair Of Replacement Hollow Bolts  $6.99 sold in pairs via Dennis Kirk
-these hollow bolts are used to connect the laydown license plate to the fender you only need 2 because you only have two wires. These will already match your predrilled holes in your fender with some very slight enlarging of your hole for your fender....but ever so slightly as they are a bit snug....

$180.00   Total Cost Of Hardware Needed & Parts Required For Relocation Of Turn Signals

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:32:24 PM by FXR2evo99 »

FXR2evo99

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2008, 03:28:35 PM »

So there you have it, a photo "journal" of some of the major points of doing these two modifications, hopefully down the road this may prove helpful to another......if you ever have any questions about any of this feel free to e~mail me direct or simply post your questions here.....

Regards,

Tim

The photo is depicting where how the setup looks coming out of the laid down license plate:

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:50:36 AM by FXR2evo99 »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member

Nicely done Tim !

Real good job on relocation of the rear turn sigs !
I'll be SURE to keep this for the records .....  I've been tempted in the past to relo mine, but didn't want to alter the fender...... not being as smart as you I didn't know how to advoid it, so I just used T-BAGS for all of my trips.......... :D

however I would really like to have both !!!!!!!!

T-Bags or the like for my clothing ..... one saddle bag for tools and the like, the other for quick to get stuff like rain gear  !!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots

Artlee

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4

Posting to an old thread, but got to say that is some great and timeless info!

Thanks  FXR2evo99 !

Artlee
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:18:35 PM by Artlee »

fxr4mikey

• Elite CVO Member

yep, timeless !!
2000 FXR4 Candy Tangerine
The Build -
•   SE Heads w/Cometic .030 gaskets
•   Bob Wood W6 cam
•   Mikuni HSR42 carb
•   Compu-Fire Single Fire Ignition
•   Rivera taper-lite chromolly adjustable push rods
•   Chrome lifter blocks w/HD B lifters
•   Pro-Force One AC and breather kit
•   Vance and Hines straight shots
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 25 queries.