Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: '09 Gas Mileage  (Read 13286 times)

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
'09 Gas Mileage
« on: March 14, 2009, 02:03:57 AM »

A search brought up a number of threads discussing gas mileage, but I didn't see much for the '09's.  I've filled up three times so far, and it looks like I'm averaging about 34 MPG.  This is about 10 MPG less that I was getting on my old Heritage.  Judging from what I had heard on the '09's,  (>40 MPG) and the larger gas tank, I was thinking that my riding range would be greatly enhanced.  This is obviously not the case, and turns out to be about the same as the Heritage.  Is my 09 SEUC mileage about what everyone else is seeing?

Also, I would like some hints on filling up the tank.  The filler hole is REALLY tiny.  I'm used to keeping a close eye on the gas level as it fills up so that I can stop  pumping before gas splashes out all over the tank.  With this small hole, I really can't tell how close I am to filling the tank, causing me to give my tank's paint job a gas bath the first two fillups.  The only reason that it didn't happen on the last fillup was because I pumped REALLY, REALLY slowly.

Thanks,

Ed

Phoenixbiker

• CVO1: 09 Ruby Red SEEG
    • CVO2: (non) 94 Red FLHTUC
    • CVO3: (non) 82 FXR
Re: '09 Gas Mileage
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 07:55:08 AM »

Ed,

Only run over 1,000km so far and consumption is similar to my old '94 ultra at 6.2 Lt/100k.

I had the same problem with the filler and fuel all over the tank on the first fill #@*. I then tried putting the nozzle down in the tank but beware there are wires in there (fuel guage/fuel pump ?). I put the nozzle in gently and fill slowly till the cutoff, fuel droplets still come out the vent holes and beside the nozzle if you are not careful. Then remove the nozzle and peer in and fill realy slowly - it does not take much more from this point say 1/2 litre.

Phoenix
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up space!

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 08:12:14 AM »

Hey Woode, (don't worry, I wouldn't think about asking)

My gas mileage was terrible on my '08 until a friend of mine who also has a 6 speed informed me to read the manual...

I was getting far less mileage than any prior bike I've owned and couldn't figure it out.  I've always listened to the motor to decide when was the best time to change gears and was doing the same on my 6 speed, which when I bothered to look at the dial meant I was changing into 6th at about 60-65mph.

After listening to my friend's advise, the manual calls for you to be in 6th at 55mph.  I tried this and thought the bike was really sluggish when doing what the manual says.  However, after suffering through a tank of gas changing into 6th at 55mph my gas mileage improved greatly.

I have owned many Harley's over the years and that was the first time I ever looked in a manual... Must have something to do with my wife and I having 4 kids and neither of us ever read "The Joy of Sex"!

Give the manual a read and see what happens.  You maybe surprised.

Take care & ride safe,
Grizzly
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

woode

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: Anniversary FLHTCUSE8
    • CVO2: (Retired) Ruby Red FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 02:22:36 PM »

Hey Woode, (don't worry, I wouldn't think about asking)...

I was getting far less mileage than any prior bike I've owned and couldn't figure it out.  I've always listened to the motor to decide when was the best time to change gears and was doing the same on my 6 speed, which when I bothered to look at the dial meant I was changing into 6th at about 60-65mph.

After listening to my friend's advise, the manual calls for you to be in 6th at 55mph.  I tried this and thought the bike was really sluggish when doing what the manual says.  However, after suffering through a tank of gas changing into 6th at 55mph my gas mileage improved greatly...

Ask me about what??

Anyway, you may have something there.  I have been changing into 6th at higher speeds as well.  I'll give it a try.

Ed

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 05:38:37 AM »

I think I had posted a few days back that I got 37 or 38 out of my last tank.  Today, with 2 up I got 34.  I run in whatever gear is going to give me enough zip with a quick turn of the throttle at the time.  If I'm on the highway, I'll keep it in 6th, but I think there are plenty of times that I keep it in 5th over 55.  I know I'll eat a little more gas that way, but I guess I just ride the way I ride.

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »

I'm getting 35 MP/g with a 131 running in the rich side in open loop. And yes, the new filler holes are nasty. I tired one of those neoprene inserts that you place at the mouth of the filler hole and cant stand the thing. It wont let me fill the tank passed 3/4 fill. Anyone else try these things and have same problems?? :nixweiss:

AzNovice99

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 12:53:20 PM »

I was getting 38-39 single or two up.  Changed my pipes to CFR slip-ons and got about 2MPH more. no other changes, mostly highway. As for filling the tank, I have found that if you balance the bike straight up and down when you fill you can get about a gallon more than if it is resting on its kick stand.  I keep a microfiber cloth in the fairing glove-box and put it around the nozzle when filling to stop the splashing which happens almost every time.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2009, 02:33:36 PM »

I've filled my tank twice now and got about 32 MPG so far - much less than I expected - Not a big deal but I was hoping for 200 miles per tank full
I am in Jury Duty and just read parts of the manual on shifting earlier than I experienced (yes Jury Duty is boring)

sooiee

• Senior CVO Member
    • NC
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 11:00:40 AM »

The bike takes a while to "loosen up" if you will. 
You'll also see a jump in mileage once you get up in the 4-5K mileage range too. 
Everything is just settling in still if you've just ran a couple tanks of fuel through her. 

Ride it and enjoy. 
Remember.....Just going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in your garage makes you a motorcycle.

flibb

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 04:10:58 PM »

ill have to check my gas mileage again but i checked it yesterday and it was 51mpg ill check it again that seems high

2008 rocker c, 2003 fatboy, 2015 rgu

Brinks

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2008 SERK Annie
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 04:35:32 PM »

36 MPG, 2 up, total miles on bike 350.

1.75 Fullsac's, no cat, SERG A/C, TTS map from Fullsac.

Rides like a champ, Steve's map is working out great! :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:

DESERTBEAR54

• DESERTBEAR
  • 1K CVO Member
  • BLUU 10 SEUC,09 Street Glide
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 04:55:12 PM »

If you run her lean and hotter than hell you can get about 200-220 miles to the tank. If you put a SERT on her and change up your intake and exaust you can cool her down and you will get about 160-180 miles to the tank. It's not a HYBRID!!
1000 Bears Can't Be Wrong Eat Your Honey Then Ride Safe and Smoke A Good Cigar!!

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 05:48:33 PM »

If you run her lean and hotter than hell you can get about 200-220 miles to the tank. If you put a SERT on her and change up your intake and exaust you can cool her down and you will get about 160-180 miles to the tank. It's not a HYBRID!!

I've been filling up around 175 mile mark, but it always takes just around 5 gallons, so I figure I've got a gallon to spare at that point, or more if you fill it with the bike upright.  I'll give it the true test with a nice long roadtrip here in the next few weeks.

bogman

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO-Softail-Springer-FXSTSSE3
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 06:18:51 PM »

550 miles clocked so far on the Softail springer, not the same bike but some observations anyway

20 to the gallon for first 200 miles fair bit of city driving, up down through the gears a lot  :nixweiss:
Trip to Motorcycle rally in Galway Saturday 60 to 70 mph mainly, odd blast 80mph, 36 mpg
Limerick to Cork at a leisurely pace on way back, nearly 40 mpg

Road Hog

• Junior CVO Member
  • Living The Dream until the 2008 Stock Market Crash
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 10:42:10 PM »

So would a lean, stock CUSE get more range out of a tank than a scooter with an sert, cat removed and less restrictive muffs?  Or do those mods increase performance and cooling, and possibly longevity, while sacrificing range.  Any thoughts?
FLHTCUSE4, Stardust Silver / Twilight Blue.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.