Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Auxiliary Switched ZUMO Cable  (Read 9831 times)

REGGAB

Auxiliary Switched ZUMO Cable
« on: March 14, 2009, 04:39:45 PM »

A couple months back, FR8TRN posted about a Gentleman in Delaware, Jim Bissonette, who is making cables which allow those of us who use the ZUMO to take advantage of the Bluetooth cellphone feature via our H-D Intercom and headset.  Jim's website is http://home.comcast.net/~jbissonette1/site/.  Alot of us balked at having to drill a hole in our fairing cap in order to use his device, so he came up with an alternative, and now has it listed on his website.  Using the Accessory switch, one can now make and receive cellular phone calls on the road.  The only downfall is, the Accessory switch cannot be used for anything else.  No big deal for me, since I don't use it for anything else anyway.  I bought one of Jim's cables ($45.00 shipped to my door) and installed it this afternoon.  Took about three hours, and that's with me being very meticulous (read:  NORMAL  :huepfenlol2:) in every detail, making staggered solder splices when I could, double heat shrinking, and following with fusion tape, split loom, avionics lacing string, and electrical tie wraps.  I got caught up in the work, and didn't take many pictures, but I'll do the best I can to explain what I did.  Further, Jim's instructions are attached to this post.

REGGAB

Re: Auxiliary Switched ZUMO Cable
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 04:42:34 PM »

Here is a picture of Jim's cable and a copy of the instructions (6 pages-first page shown).

REGGAB

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »

Find connector 105 (right side of fairing next to right fork tube), and disconnect 105A (to fairing cap switches) and 105B.  On the 105 B side, extract pins 2 and 3, and label accordingly.

REGGAB

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 04:48:40 PM »

Next, disconnect 28 from the rear of the radio (as you look at the rear of the radio, it is the big connector on the right) and completely remove the split loom.  Find the wires that go to pins 9 and 20 and identify them accordingly.

REGGAB

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 04:56:25 PM »

Next, stagger cut Jim's cable on the switch side (blue and black wires) and duplicate the stagger on the 105 wires identified earlier by stripping a 3/8" section of each wire to match the stagger in Jim's cable.  It is best to put the stripped end of Jim's cable toward the back of 105, since that will be the orientation once assembled.  Tin each stripped section of wire, solder the blue wire to the orange wire (105-2), and the black wire to the black wire (105-3).  Slide heat shrink over each solder splice, and shrink.  Slide a larger piece of heat shrink over both splices and shrink.  Should look like this when finished.

REGGAB

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 04:59:40 PM »

Reinsert pins 2 and 3 in 105B.  Reconnect 105A and 105B and apply fusion tape to the wires which were exposed on the B side.  Run the 2.5mm connector from Jim's cable to your Zumo, insert it in the top receptacle on the mount and tie wrap into place, like this.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:46:48 PM by HML »

REGGAB

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:07:01 PM »

Next, move to connector 28, and cut the wires identified earlier.  Strip each end 1/4" and tin.  Tin each of the remaining four wires (yellow, white, green, and brown) of Jim's cable.  Slide a 2" length of heat shrink over all four of the remaining wires of Jim's cable.  Install a 3/4" length of heat shrink onto each of the remaining four wires of Jim's cable.  Make the following solder splices:

Yellow to black going into main harness (headset)
White to black going into 28
Green to red going into main harness (headset)
Brown to red going into 28

Slide the previously installed 3/4" lengths of heat shrink over each splice and shrink.  Should look like this when finished.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 05:49:31 PM by HML »

REGGAB

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 05:11:05 PM »

Slide the 2" length of heat shrink over all four splices you just made and shrink.  Now would be a good time to make an operational check.  I called HogBreath, and he said he could barely hear me.  Switched headsets, called home, loud and clear.  Once you are satisfied that everything works, bundle everything up.

REGGAB

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 05:15:04 PM »

And...........just because the Ditch Pickle is so beautiful, here's one final shot once I got everything put back together.

This task is not at all complicated.  Sure, you can use butt splices, but that is not my chosen method.  Very inexpensive alternative to gain a nice capability.  Enjoy.

bissjim

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2009, 11:13:52 AM »

Henry you did an excellent installation, nice pictures.  :orange:

Jim
Ride It Like You Are Retired

REGGAB

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2009, 03:55:53 PM »

I haven't road tested this installation yet, since the weather is quite crappy here in North Alabama, but I already know that I will be able to hear phone conversations well.  And, after speaking with both Renea and Jim during test calls, the other end will be able to hear me as well.  I suppose most of us who have had anything to do with J&M (like purchasing their shorty antennas) have received their latest catalog.  I've since put mine in the round file, but I recall a similar device, much more complicated, and much more expensive (over $300) in that catalog.  Jim Bissonette makes a very fine alternative and will save you over $250 in the process.  And the installation is not at all difficult if you have some soldering skills.  It is most helpful if you have a Weller gun with a large tip (flows solder better than a solder pencil.....which is designed for detail board work anyway), a tub of flux, and a damp kitchen sponge to remove the oxidation from the solder gun tip.  Once soldered, slide the heat shrink over the joint and use a narrow nose Weller heat gun set to 650* to shrink the heat shrink.  Doesn't take but a few seconds at that temp to shrink the tubing, so be careful, or you could flow the solder and end up with a cold, weak solder joint that will come loose over time.  Send email to Jim at jbissonette1@comcast.net if you are interested in installing his cable on your ZUMO equipped machine.   :2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2009, 03:59:38 PM »

Henry you did an excellent installation, nice pictures.  :orange:

Jim

Thanks, Jim, and welcome to CVO Harley!  Glad to have you on board.  You might want to go to the New Member Introduction board at http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?board=30.0 and make a formal introduction so everyone knows who you are.  Further, since you are the designer and manufacturer of this device, you might want to contact Naitram via Private Message and see if he can set you up as a vendor.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2009, 04:04:47 PM »

Great job describing the installation, Henry...

I won't be following you on this one, though.... one of my goals and pleasures of riding includes not having to talk to anyone!   :huepfenlol2:

Camaraderie with solitude!   :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

REGGAB

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2009, 04:17:50 PM »

Great job describing the installation, Henry...

I won't be following you on this one, though.... one of my goals and pleasures of riding includes not having to talk to anyone!   :huepfenlol2:

Camaraderie with solitude!   :2vrolijk_21:

Caller ID is wonderful.  My main reason for acquisition is Stef.  Peace of mind.   :2vrolijk_21:

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 04:43:16 PM »

Caller ID is wonderful.  My main reason for acquisition is Stef.  Peace of mind.   :2vrolijk_21:

yep...  :2vrolijk_21:
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 24 queries.