Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Front end wobble  (Read 8021 times)

blw

Front end wobble
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:29:11 PM »

I have a 2009 SERG. If I am slowing down and take my hands off of the handlebars in between 30 and 40 mph I get a violent wobble in the front end. Has anyone experienced anything like this before or can anyone tell me what the problem might be ?      Thanks,  BLW

screamin09

Re: Front end wobble
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 08:39:56 PM »

mine is doing the same thing, i checked tire pressure and added nitro didnt help, it may be the neck bearing which i.m bringing it in to have checked

hdbrad03

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Yellow Pearl/Charcoal Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCSE-Pumpkin
    • CVO3: FLTRI 06
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 08:42:48 PM »

How many miles do you have on the bikes? Cupped tires???

:bananarock: :bananarock:
     Brad
I was there.  Were you?

East Coast
New River Gorge (10, 15)
Rib Fest (10, 11, 14, 15)
Wild WV (16)
Maggie Valley (08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17)

West Coast
Sedona, AZ (08)
Pala (10)
Santa Fe, NM (13)

blw

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 09:14:43 PM »

I have 3700 miles, the tires feel smooth ???

graffitticoupe

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 09:25:12 PM »

I have a new 09 Road Glide (non CVO) with 700 kms, same wobble, after putting bike on the jack I feel the front end is loose when compared to my other HD's.

Will be taking it back to the dealer and get them to adjust tension on steering head bearings, will advise if this makes a difference.

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 09:39:45 PM »

The dealer has adjusted my steering head bearing twice now on my 09 SERG. It fixes the decel wobble you are describing. The front tire is cupped as well and the dealer is replacing the front wheel and tire.
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 09:52:14 PM »

Sounds like some more of that outstanding MoCo process and quality control.  I've read several reports on more than one site of loose head bearing on these bikes; I believe it might be a good idea for everyone to have it checked out.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 10:58:33 PM »

I have heard from a friend who works at a local dealership of their finding 09 touring frame bolts either arriving loose or coming loose - and subsequent handling issues  -  which subside when the frame bolts are properly torqued... 
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 11:00:48 PM »

The dealer has adjusted my steering head bearing twice now on my 09 SERG. It fixes the decel wobble you are describing. The front tire is cupped as well and the dealer is replacing the front wheel and tire.

Once is understandable if they were not properly adjusted upon initial assembly - but twice leads one to believe a deeper issue may exist...
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 03:00:16 PM »

Blw,

From your description, it sounds like your steering head bearings are loose.  Mine were loose and I had the exact issue you describe.  See here:  SERG 40 - 30 mph Front End Wobble??  This should be a quick fix at the dealer.  Was for me.

GK
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:13:34 PM by GregKhougaz »

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

jonandflo

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »

Harley just issued a service bulletin to the dealerships that changed the torque specs for the steering head on the SERG. The new spec addresses the increased weight distribution to the front end. Mine had the wobble at about 35 mph. It was particularly bad when front braking in a corner. My SERG is in the shop now for its 1000 mile service, and they will re torque the steering head. When I went to pick it up the voltage regulator failed during the test ride and there it sits in the shop, waiting for the new regulator. When the regulator failed I lost throttle control, most of the instruments, flickering head lights and voltage (indicated) went to zero. The shop tells me it was the regulator that failed, but in over thirty years of riding I've never had it happen before. I hope they're right, and the replacement is of better quality that the original part.

bandit

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3, TP, Saddleman Explorer
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 11:25:38 AM »

To help other cvo-owners in foreign countries, other planets and more far away from the states:
if you read or hear about such a service bulletin from the MoCo, try to copy, mail or or post it
in this forum. With a paper in your hand, its much easier to put pressure on a stealer and HD-Europe
as well.

Banidt

:bananarock:
It is not that we have less time, it is much time that we use wrong.

Resbiker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 06:22:22 PM »

A guy got killed the other day in Missoula, Mt, riding a Road King...paper said he went in a high speed wobble while moving into the fast lane...maybe alcohol/speed...no helmet.  Bad, Bad deal.

What is going on on the wobble?  I felt in mine at a slow speed..30-35mph, and once over some rough surface at highway speed.

Tomorrow I go to the shop & ask questions, get it re-torqued.
2009 Sil/Tit SERG
2004 Bl/Blue SEEG
1989 Cop E-glide
Jap Bikes
#1 = 1960 Cushman Super Eagle

serghaven

• Senior CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2009, 07:08:28 PM »

I too have the wobble. To the dealer I go. ???

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 07:51:53 PM »

Can't believe someone's not notifing you guys on a safety issue like this.  :nervous: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Resbiker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 08:12:10 PM »

No kiddin'!  I finally got the blade wheel call in the mail yesterday.....I had already taken care of it in my local shop because of this website's heads up.  Probably the same with fork issues? 

Hmm...than CanAm Spyder is starting to look pretty nice! :o
2009 Sil/Tit SERG
2004 Bl/Blue SEEG
1989 Cop E-glide
Jap Bikes

Highwaystar

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 SE Fat Boy
    • CVO2: Blown 150HP 09 SE Road Glide
    • CVO3: No need to go further!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 09:19:38 PM »

I don't have the wobble but I have a shutter in the forks with moderate brakes applied. You can see the forks shake a lot...Even after the 407 was replaced with the 408...Could it be the ABS?  :confused5:
HWStar - Pro Charger; 153 hp 136 ft lbs, Jackpot header, 2-1/4 Fullsac's, TTS and PC-V with auto-tune, Dynojet Quick shifter, Xenon HI/low.

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 09:48:47 PM »

I don't have the wobble but I have a shutter in the forks with moderate brakes applied. You can see the forks shake a lot...Even after the 407 was replaced with the 408...Could it be the ABS?  :confused5:
That could be your rotors starting to warp. Spec is .008 according to my dealer. Don't ask me how I know  ::)

Howie

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2009, 12:52:17 AM »

blw,

Look in the FLHTCSUE5 posts, their are post referencing Wobbles, however they are high speed, some of this problems may effect both.

geezerglide

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 11:01:27 AM »

I guess I will have them check mine when I take it in for the wheel check. I was just thinking; 30k for a hand made bike with all kinds of issues but made in the good ole USA. And trying to remember if I ever took the BMW or the Goldwing in for anything other than service. Hard to figure why I'm so stupid and the MotoCo has no pride in there work. I am sure it will come to an end (sales) and they will wonder what happened?
 :soapbox:
Mike

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 11:09:21 AM »

New neck bearings-properly adjusted, TrueTrack, Bronze swingarm bearings to replace the rubber cleveblocks, AK-20 F and bitubo R, Velva-Ride stabilizers, ME880's now-with D407 R and E3 F prior, alignment with HD tool! Has wobbled from day one; and STILL DOES!!! Their freakin frames are offf!!! Simple as that! Vertical rear wheel alignment, tweaked frame setup, poor QC? Whatever it is, they've been doing it for years. Not all do, but many do! I'm still working on a cure! ;)

Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 07:27:34 PM »

New neck bearings-properly adjusted, TrueTrack, Bronze swingarm bearings to replace the rubber cleveblocks, AK-20 F and bitubo R, Velva-Ride stabilizers, ME880's now-with D407 R and E3 F prior, alignment with HD tool! Has wobbled from day one; and STILL DOES!!! Their freakin frames are offf!!! Simple as that! Vertical rear wheel alignment, tweaked frame setup, poor QC? Whatever it is, they've been doing it for years. Not all do, but many do! I'm still working on a cure! ;)

Hoist! 8)
Well at least we know the fairing is not causing it.  :o har!  :drink: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

Resbiker

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 01:15:35 AM »

Was taking my '09 SERG to shop this am for safety check...concerned about front.  Decelerated from 45mph to stop sign, got hit with the wobble at 30mph.  WTF is going on with these road glides?  Never had these problems with any of my E-glides.  Friend who's had them all told me to get used to it...inherent in RG's and the company won't address the front neck issues.

I'm losing confidence in this bike giving me and my wife a safe ride.  Time to switch brands?  Maybe it's time to have a longer look at the Jap or Kraut cruisers.  I llike to ride alone anyway!

Thought my silver/titanium SERG could be a winner....probably stuck with a lemon?
2009 Sil/Tit SERG
2004 Bl/Blue SEEG
1989 Cop E-glide
Jap Bikes

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2009, 01:38:27 AM »

I had the same issue on my '01 Ultra last year. I changed tires, tighted the handlebars, added the rear swingarm stabilizer bracket gizmo. It turned out to be a loose neck bearing collar. The indy shop tightened it and filled it full of grease. Since then no more problems.

Last May I had a guy bring his NEW 2009 ElectraGlide to the range for the RLAP class. He let me ride it during a break and I immediatly felt a wobble doing slow speed manuevers. This bike was new, less than 2K on the clock. He bought it and rode it out from Texas for the start of Run For The Wall. As I was riding it I thought it may have been underinflated or cupped tires. In retrospect I think it was loose neck bearings too.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2009, 07:28:38 AM »

My coast down wobble was the Dunflop 407, went to a 408, all gone...now the detonation issue, but that is for another thread.. :-\

Blazo

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 02:49:27 PM »

Just got my bike back from the dealer. It was there for an inner fairing replacement due to a scratch. I asked them to check the steering head as well and was told that it was indeed loose. I only had a very slight decel wobble. Haven't had the opportunity to see if tightening the steering head fixed the problem or not.

Highjagger

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • tradition`s not worship ash but pass on the fire

• CVO1: FXSE Breakout Pro Street 2016 ,- and 2011 Crossbones FLSTSB ,- and 2016 LowRider s FXDLs
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »

Just came back from the 16000 km inspection ( 10k miles ) , my head bearings have been loosely , They checked them 2 month ago , but they have been all rigt .
 Now harley changed the torque of these head bearings and the dealer corrected it to the new torque number .
Also the ABS software update is changed into a new version .
Success is to stand up one more than to fall down

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 01:50:39 PM »

A friend of mine has a 2007 FXSTC Custom, bike rode fine for about 2400 miles, after that he was experiencing a wobble. He had it in to HD, they said there was no problem. He adjusted the neck bearing tension, was better for a while, but wobble came back. He put the bike back in the lift and the neck was not tight, the flop test was off again! He readjusted it again and the same thing happened. He then pulled the front end off and checked the bearings, then didn't look bad, then looked at the races, there was a slight mark on one so he pulled it. The neck under the race was burred and not smooth. Our thoughts was that the burrs kept the race from seating properly in the neck, as he adjusted the front end it pushed the race farther in, and slightly cocked. Anyway he replaced the neck bearings and races. At the same time he was getting a new front tire, when he took the bearings out of the front wheel he noticed that they didn't turn freely, there was slight resistance in some spots, so they were changed also. He has had no wobble since. So we don't know if it was one or the other, or both causing his wobble.

Craig
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 24 queries.