Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: What's your experience with sun shirts with UV protection?  (Read 15360 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

Chris (Ridein Ruby) mentioned that he uses a shirt to ride in Ariz. that has sun protection built in.  I didn't even know they made such a thing so I did an internet search and like most things........just to many options.

So, if you can share your experience.....what works, what doesn't, what are features that I need to consider riding in 100+ degree weather (Arizona)?  Some are 100% cotton some are a blend and some are polyester (probably the lightest and most breathable and fastest drying).  So many decisions....what's your experience? :nixweiss:

Here are some that I found but I don't know which is the best bang for the buck:

http://www.uvskinz.com/detail.aspx?id=146&c=6

http://www.sungrubbies.com/product_index_html/product_detail_html/Sun-protective-Clothing-TShirtA.htm

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: What's your experience with sun shirts with UV protection?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 07:03:51 AM »

I use several and they work. Only bad thing is that afer a lot of washes the sun protection is gone.
Bill

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 09:35:24 AM »

I've used them for about 5 years.  The first ones I bought were  from a company in California called Sunbrella and were pricey.  The last couple of years I have bought them at REI at a considerable savings.  They work well but the best part is their comfort.  It's like riding topless which feels pretty good when it's over 90.  Highly recommend.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

DW6019

• Banned
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 08:57:34 PM »

I wear the Columbia Brand of SPF shirts every day to work, they work very good for sun protection, but offer NO protection from ROAD RASH, try a Vanson Vent Max (on sale right now for $99.00). Cool and prevents Road rash.

aushog

• 2008 Frosty
  • Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 10:37:49 PM »

I don't get it. Cotton T has always worked for me, as long as it is not old and thin.  Also use old cotton dress shirts w/o burns.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 10:07:56 AM »

I don't get it. Cotton T has always worked for me, as long as it is not old and thin.  Also use old cotton dress shirts w/o burns.

Looking for something a lot lighter than cotten.

Ordered one of the nylon type shirts and two of the polyester for each of us.  They've already shipped.....we'll see.  Was told the polyester was like not wearing anything.....that's what I'm looking for.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 11:07:38 AM »

The SPF in the clothing is fantastic.   :2vrolijk_21:
Do pay attention though to the washing instructions.
Most will not work if you use fabric softener, so if this is something you normally add to laundry, then you have to wash these separate.   No bleach either. I think just the washing separate is all you really need to pay attention to, wash and hang to dry they last a fair length of time.
I have a white long sleeve one, that got some oil on it when we were on our way to Nelson. My bike broke down and I guess I somehow got oil on it.  It will never be clean again, so a $50 T-shirt I only wore a few times.  :-[
Brett pointed out to me, and since he did I've noticed that you can get a lot of the underarmor items that wick away moisture so you stay real nice and dry and sweet smelling.  These if you watch for them sometimes go on sale for around $20.  Heck that is cheaper than a cotton t-shirt from any HD shop. 
Now that I know more about the products, I really look for clothing with SPF in it.  If they also have vents, or ways to roll up sleeves or leggings I like this too. 
You already have the cool vest for keeping you cool, just a couple shirts and you can even get pants with it in too. 
They feel much lighter and cooler than other materials. 

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 11:19:15 AM »

Candy I was reading your post and started chukeling to myself.  Kind of funny.......years ago it was all about the "look good".  Now it's to hell with the look good......it's all about the comfort! ;D   

That wouldn't qualify to be infinate wisdom (could be confused with infant wisdom).......maybe geriatric wisdom. :huepfenlol2:

West Coast GTG   

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 12:42:20 PM »

The older we get, the less we care about "cool looks" and the more we care about comfort!
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 12:47:45 PM »

Ah ha, yall comin round to seein things my way.... :P

Diamondback

• Diamondback
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 03:03:15 PM »

8) 8) 8)

Here in South Texas getting sun burn is easy and painfull year round.  I wear either Columbia SPF 50 or Bass Pro shop equivalent.  Comes in several colors.  Light with wind flap in the back.  Lots of pockets, dry fast, very cool, and no sunburn.  Last forever.

A little on the pricey side but can catch them on sale for around $35.00.  I have six.  They are great.  Pack great.

:drink: :drink:
2010 FXDFSE2 CVO Fat Bob, V&H staggers, Windshield, saddle bags, passenger back rest. 

2011 CVO Ultra Glide, Progressive Monotubes, Ultra 944's, Power Vision, ceramic headpipes, Cellset, Cee Baileys 15" and Fullsac 1.75"
Former 2009 SE Ultra, Rineharts, Stage I, PC V with autotune non cat header pipe
Former 2007 SE Ultra, D&D, Stage I, TMAT Metzlers
Former 2006 Dragonfly Ultra
Former 1999 Road King

bknerr

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 09:36:02 AM »

my buddy in key west, a fishing boat capt., swears by them. all he wears for the last 10 years. 20 years of running a boat
with reg. shirts and he still fights skin cancer. depends how much time ya spend outside.
1963 flh
1974 fxe

2003 flhrc
2008 flhtcuse3

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »

I may be mistaken but I read somwhere that a test was done comparing a regular cotton long sleeve T vs a sun shirt. The findings were that the regular t-shirt provided just as much UV filtration. Now that was several years ago and myabe these new ones are better. I'd just use a regular t-shirt and spend the extra money on a good Porterhouse steak dinner.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Sean M Cary

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 10:06:01 AM »

Looking for something a lot lighter than cotten.

Ordered one of the nylon type shirts and two of the polyester for each of us.  They've already shipped.....we'll see.  Was told the polyester was like not wearing anything.....that's what I'm looking for.

under armor heat gear...

worked for me in hotter then your likely to encounter in CONUS...not sure of its sun blocking capability
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 10:07:52 AM by Florida Marine »

PR3VS56

• Elite CVO Member
    • BlackSheep Harley-Davidsons for Christ
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 10:52:48 AM »

I'm with you.  I've never seen anything but tan/burn lines (white underneath) wearing cotton. 

Redline V-Twin Syn 20W50 (winter), 20W60 (summer) in the crank case.
Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.
Amsoil Super Shift Syn ATF in the primary.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.