Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Subject: Safety Recall Campaign 0139  (Read 9087 times)

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
Subject: Safety Recall Campaign 0139
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:10:26 PM »

Didn't see this posted here, sorry if it's a repeat

Subject: Safety Recall Campaign 0139

Dear Harley-Davidson Dealer:

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain model year 2008 and 2009 FLSTSB, model year 2008 FXSTSSE2 and model year 2009 FXSTSSE3 motorcycles manufactured May 22, 2007 through March 26, 2009 and shipped on or before March 27, 2009.  The acorn stud at the brake reaction link on these motorcycles may fall out during use.  If this occurs, the front brake and fender assembly would no longer be adequately retained.  This condition could lead to a crash and potential injury or death to the rider.   

We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0139) to allow us to formally recall all affected motorcycles.  The remedy is to replace the existing acorn stud with the new acorn stud and retaining clip provided in the recall repair kit.  A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within ten days.  Based on the schedule our supplier has provided we expect to begin shipping repair kits on or before the week of June 8, 2009. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

In the interest of the safety of our mutual customers and as required by law, you may sell but NOT DELIVER any motorcycles equipped with the defective acorn stud to your customers until the remedy is completed.. Please refer to h-dnet.com on the Service Page/Safety and Product Campaign/Open Safety Campaign Instructions and the Safety Campaign and Open VIN Lists in the Service Toolbox for an updated list of affected VINs for this recall. Select the appropriate campaign number link (0139) to view any outstanding vehicles involved.

In accordance with Federal regulations administered by NHTSA, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. will provide notice to all owners of record of affected products with direction to bring the vehicle in for the recall service.

metalgrind

• METALGRIND
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange,

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2, V&H Big Radius, SERT, HD Oil Cooler
Re: Subject: Safety Recall Campaign 0139
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:36:51 PM »

Thanks for the info.  :2vrolijk_21:

Metalgrind

marsred204

• Alan
  • Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Inferno Orange FXSTSSE2
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 02:31:50 AM »

Contacted dealer and was told my vehicle was included in the recall. I was told that the recall kits wern't even sent out yet. They should be available later this month.

Alan
I'm like a rusted steel trap: I look dangerous, I just don't do much

chriscraig73

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 11:22:19 PM »

Recieved my recall notification today. It states that I should setup an appointment as soon as possible. Took delivery of my FXSTSSE2 on 5/29/08.

mavricktoo

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 07:52:04 AM »

I got mine yesterday.  My sticker on the frame says my build date was 3/07 and I thought I was clear, guess not.  I called the dealer and the kits should be in on Thursday the 11th. He said to call back after and make an appointment.
DAVE
PP-ASEL Private Pilot

chriscraig73

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »

Made my appointment today. Dealer had just recieved their first kit today. They didn't even know what it was for till I called :(

BMF-110

• " Ride Loud, Ride Proud "
  • Elite CVO Member
  • "Guess where"

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 SERT V&H Big Radius-SERT-Bags- Seat
    • CVO2: 1997 FXSTSB Too many things to mention
    • CVO3: 1982 XLCH Hardtail-Stretched&Lowered
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 07:26:54 AM »

Make sure you check your front tires before you schedule, 5000 miles and shes showing signs and so are a-lot of others, doesnt hurt to have them check!!
"Courage is fear that has said its prayers"

mavricktoo

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 09:21:27 AM »

Still no parts despite the fact that they said they would be in yesterday. I guess I wait until next week and hope my acorn nut doesn't fall off in the meantime.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 09:23:26 AM by mavricktoo »
DAVE
PP-ASEL Private Pilot

jjjmully

• CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE 3 blk/slvr/emrld
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 06:23:35 PM »

Thanks for the "heads-up" on this. Haven't been able to ride my scoot yet since I'm still stuck in Iraq. I'll contact my dealer though to check out the status. Thanks again  :2vrolijk_21:

JoMo

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 08 black & chrome soft tail custom
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 07:09:34 PM »

GH good info two of my friends were at the dealer today to have that recall taken care of.
20 minutes and they were good to go.

Jo Mo NYC  :coolblue:

LoneCustom

• Junior CVO Member
  • Let's Ride!

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Ultra Glide in Crystal Citron
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 04:14:14 PM »

I was taking my FXSTSSE3 in this Friday anyway to have some saddlebags and a few other trinkets put on.  Called the dealer today - they have the kits, will install it on Friday.  I believe they said the parts kit consisted of the stud, the acorn nut and a lock pin. Will be back on the road for the weekend!

MC88

• Junior CVO Member
  • CVO1: 2009 FXSTSSE3 CVO2:2011 FLHXSE2
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 07:02:36 AM »

Im still waiting for these to arrive in Aus..

I purchased my bike the day the recall was advised a few weeks ago and waiting to take delivery.....

They hope to have the parts here by Friday and i want to ride it on the weekend....

RPR50

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2009, 09:05:06 AM »

Got mine back. Bottom acorn nut on brake side replaced with Allen bolt, not another chromed acorn nut. It's ugly, but i guess it'll work. Recalls don't happen for no reason. Gonna see if chromed nuts available.

metalgrind

• METALGRIND
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2 Inferno Orange,

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2, V&H Big Radius, SERT, HD Oil Cooler
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 11:00:05 AM »

Just got back from having the recall addressed on my bike. Took about 30 minutes to do, and they did replace the chrome acorn bolt with a new one that was a little longer and had a cotter pin on the end (Brake Side).

Gonz

• CVO1: '08 Springer 105th
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 02:43:36 PM »

:jack:

I just got my '08 Springer last week, and will be heading to the local dealer in the next few days to "register" it and get another key made.  Is there a way for them to check what recall work has or has not been done on my bike?  Or a way for me to check on it?  Since I bought the bike used I don't necessarily know the history of what recall work has been done to it.

Thanks!
Funny thing about weekends when you're unemployed, they don't mean quite so much.  Except you get to hang out with your working friends...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.152 seconds with 24 queries.