Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: If your bike has a tour pack I suggest you read this.  (Read 9845 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
If your bike has a tour pack I suggest you read this.
« on: June 28, 2009, 11:13:17 PM »

So yesterday I go to open my tourpack like I have so many times before. I undo the latches, raise the lid and proceed to watch it disappear from my sight. I walk around to the left side and see the lid dangling from the side of the tourpack. It's gently swaying back and forth like a broken tree limb. The tether broke and allowed the lid to flop over. The worst part is that the side of the tourpack is now cracked and the lip where the hinges attach to the lid are broken too. This is going to be MAJOR fiberglass repair and repainting of the whole tourpack and lid. To say I am pissed is an understatement.

So save yourself some aggravation and replace that $3.72 tether with a fresh one now. Or better yet use the hinge gizmo sold by e-glide goodies. I swear if I didn't have bad luck, I would not have any luck. I gotta find someone to do fiberglass repair and reshoot it now. I may forego the two tone and just go with one color to save money.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
Re: If your bike has a tour pack I suggest you read this.
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 11:40:24 PM »

Mark, that's aggravating as all heck. Sorry it happened to you. 
I might add to also check ones saddle bag cloth "teather" screws. While installing lighted saddle bag latches, I noticed one bag had a screw completely missing and the other screw partially backed out. Won't cause as much damage as you experienced, but will scratch things up a bit. Roger

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 09:10:30 AM »

Mark, that's aggravating as all heck. Sorry it happened to you. 
I might add to also check ones saddle bag cloth "teather" screws. While installing lighted saddle bag latches, I noticed one bag had a screw completely missing and the other screw partially backed out. Won't cause as much damage as you experienced, but will scratch things up a bit. Roger

Roger,

I heard of this before, I just never thought it would happen to me. It's one of those things where I can't sell or trade the bike in this condition because no one would want to buy it and I don't want to ride the bike any further since vibration will probably crack it even more. Jonga gave me the contact info for his painter who gave me a GREAT price quote. I'm going to ship the parts to him this week. I'm going to paint everything the solid dark blue including the Ultra light bar. Like Jongas bike it will give it a slightly more CVO look.

Say hello to Melanie for me.

Mark
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

Trapperdog

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2009 ST1300 Police
    • CVO3: 2006 ST1300
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 09:38:45 AM »

It is a shame it had to happen to you, but hopefully your post has prompted all to keep an eye on their tethers and will save someone the distress of happening to them. Good luck with the paint and let us know how it turns out!
Ps....I've bought some cones and Melanie has been practicing and doing a bit better. My personal favorite practice is freestyle between weeds, cracks, pebbels in old parking lots. People think I'm nuts, but I guess that's nothing new.  :)  Roger

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 10:37:21 AM »

Damn.............that sucks - sorry to hear that.

I am going home tonight with mission - check all tethers and bolts/screws!

GtreetSlide

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:06:00 AM »

I'm thinking of a second teather as a backup..

jimbob

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:15:38 PM »

Ouch!  Sorry about that Mark!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 02:09:50 PM »

Damn.............that sucks - sorry to hear that.

I am going home tonight with mission - check all tethers and bolts/screws!

HarleyGuy,

Over on another forum a guy said that having a tourpack rack and inside lid organizer (both of which I have) adds to the problem. And of course putting a bag on the rack makes it worse. I mention this because I see you have a rack too and are using it to carry a bag.

Harley Guy

• Elite CVO Member
  • RIDE ON ...............
    • OH

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Ultra Classic.... Ruby - sold
    • CVO2: 2015 CVO Limited........... Dirty Blonde
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 02:25:41 PM »

HarleyGuy,

Over on another forum a guy said that having a tourpack rack and inside lid organizer (both of which I have) adds to the problem. And of course putting a bag on the rack makes it worse. I mention this because I see you have a rack too and are using it to carry a bag.

Thanks for the comments.

* I thought about the inside lid organizer and decided against it a few months ago as I did not want to put more pounds of pressure on the tour pack lid.
* As to the outside tourpack bag, that is for long distance only riding and Mrs Harley and I discussed two people at all time to open the lid when the bag is attached.

That pic was from the Dragon last month.

Be careful with the lid for sure.

grandpadoc

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2000 SERG
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 02:35:38 PM »

Mark, that made me sick to look at yesterday. I've seen lids and tourpacks on ebay with this damage and now I know why and how it happens. Had a great day with you guys yesterday and hope to see you soon.  Lou

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 08:54:05 AM »

Mark,

Sorry to read of your experience...However thanks for the suggestion.

Good Luck

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 07:35:34 PM »

I'm realy sorry like the others to read about your tour pack...I had an incident with mine and I know a bike painting shop on ft laud that perhaps can help you repair it if you are thinking about doing that,,, let me know and i can get you his info,,   he did a great job for me and his work is amazing,   

LarryB

• Tennessee Squire
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 FLTRSE3 The Grey Ghost
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 07:36:14 AM »

before you get all involved with a fiberglass repair guy and get all frustrated let me ask this, What year is your bike?
if it's 06 and newer, it's not FG, it's ABS plastic and is an easy fix. got to home depot, the other hd, and get some ABS glue, same aisle as the caulk. use duct tape and cardboard to fashion some backers. the glue hardens to same strength as the TP, then sand, fill, paint, ez peasy, even A CAVE MAN can do it.
Take it Easy Greasy Cuz it's a long walk home.

Did I shave my head for this?

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:11:15 AM »

I feel your pain.

The same thing happened to me with my '05 a few years ago.  As the lid flopped to the far side I felt helpless to save it from damage.  It cost me a fair bit of $ to repair, especially with the 2-tone teal paint... And all for a $3 wire.

I WAS but no longer guilty as most when opening the TP.  I would just let it go to snap open.  Now I always hold onto the cable and guide it to a stop.  Never, never, never do I just let it go anymore... Lesson learned, the hard way.

Sorry to hear of your troubles but hopefully with you sharing this unfortunate situation it has alerted others to the possibility.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

sportygordy

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »

I think the tether is one of the parts/pieces Harley gets from China  >:(.. I invested in the E-glide set up awhile back (when i did my billet hinge upgrade)  and love it, in fact i recommend anyone not using it to take a serious look at it. It may be a pricey add on, but considering what happend to IronHorse, it's a cheap wise investment.  :2vrolijk_21:

check it out.   http://www.eglidegoodies.com/id40.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:06:21 AM by sportygordy »
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.