Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 07 SERK...go with a PC III or SERT?  (Read 2624 times)

usa90

• Full CVO Member
07 SERK...go with a PC III or SERT?
« on: September 08, 2009, 11:29:00 PM »

Hi,
I'm taking my bike to a Harley Dealer Thursday night to have the bearing recall work done (yes it's leaking) . I need a PC or a Race Tuner installed because I bought the bike from someone that changed the pipes to Thunderheaders and added a SE Air Filter Stage 1 kit. Right now it pops on decel and must be done.
I have read some posts about this topic and now my head is spinning, is there something about the 07's that you can't use a PC?
Here was someones post...

Besides the tuneability (is that a word? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]) differences between the SERT and the PCIII, there is one difference that may or may not be a point of contention.  If you have an '07 machine, the PCIII does not use the O2sensors and sensor eliminators must be used to fool the ECM into thinking that there are sensors present.  The SERT will recognize the sensors.  Based on what you read in here, that may or may not be a major point of contention.  Just something else you need to be aware of. 
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

I know the HD dealers all recommend the Race Tuner but a local non authorized HD mechanic I know said it's better to go with the PC for easy adjustment and not having to dyno it . But once you have the pipes you like and are happy with the performance how many times must you dyno the bike ..

Can others with 07's give me some advice before I take it in Thursday night?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: 07 SERK...go with a PC III or SERT?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 08:55:52 AM »

Hi,
I'm taking my bike to a Harley Dealer Thursday night to have the bearing recall work done (yes it's leaking) . I need a PC or a Race Tuner installed because I bought the bike from someone that changed the pipes to Thunderheaders and added a SE Air Filter Stage 1 kit. Right now it pops on decel and must be done.
I have read some posts about this topic and now my head is spinning, is there something about the 07's that you can't use a PC?
Here was someones post...

Besides the tuneability (is that a word? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]) differences between the SERT and the PCIII, there is one difference that may or may not be a point of contention.  If you have an '07 machine, the PCIII does not use the O2sensors and sensor eliminators must be used to fool the ECM into thinking that there are sensors present.  The SERT will recognize the sensors.  Based on what you read in here, that may or may not be a major point of contention.  Just something else you need to be aware of. 
Cheers [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif],
Red

I know the HD dealers all recommend the Race Tuner but a local non authorized HD mechanic I know said it's better to go with the PC for easy adjustment and not having to dyno it . But once you have the pipes you like and are happy with the performance how many times must you dyno the bike ..

Can others with 07's give me some advice before I take it in Thursday night?

I wouldn't get hung up on all that stuff. It's really very simple. Find the BEST tuner you can, and use the product that he's best at tuning with and recommends. Since you're not tuning it yourself, it makes little difference. Leave it to the experts!!! The key is finding that "Expert" tuner! ;)

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 09:03:17 AM »

You don't have to dyno the bike with the other tuning devices either, as long as you're satisfied using the available maps.  You won't find lots of PC maps for all the various mods on CVO bikes, and even if you did find one that matched what you have that doesn't mean your bike would run well with that map.  I would still plan on a good tune no matter which device you choose.

I wouldn't limit myself to just PC or SEST, take a look at the TTS MasterTune product.  Similar to the SERT/SEST (this is the company that made the SERT for H-D), but with additional features not available on the SERT/SEST.  There are threads on the site concerning the MasterTune.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

usa90

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:05:03 PM »

Well I took your advice and a Dyno Tuner in my area who strictly does Dyno Tuning suggested that I buy a Power Commander III , he said it is a cheaper but not necessarily less effective way of getting what I need. He thinks that a lot of the Harley Dealers don't necessarily know how to maximize their Race Tuners on Dyno's and that it's very expensive to have to Dyno Race Tuners.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:30:57 PM »

Well I took your advice and a Dyno Tuner in my area who strictly does Dyno Tuning suggested that I buy a Power Commander III , he said it is a cheaper but not necessarily less effective way of getting what I need. He thinks that a lot of the Harley Dealers don't necessarily know how to maximize their Race Tuners on Dyno's and that it's very expensive to have to Dyno Race Tuners.

It would be interesting to see the before and after results of a tune with this choice. Can you keep us posted?
I am happy with the results on both my FI bikes using the TTS, but, I'm sure others have had good results with other tuners. I think it boils down to who does the tuning! JMO
HOGMIKE

CR

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 06:18:14 PM »

Although it is not supported by Dynojet, the PCV will work on 2007 HD's too (according to Fuelmoto). I have PCV with autotune (no dyno hours required) installed on a 2008 SERK and  I am quite happy with it.

erniezap

• Global Moderator
  • 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SEUC - Black/Orange
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 06:24:58 PM »

One thing to consider about the Power Commander is that it does not do as good of a job preventing pinging since it adjusts only by throttle position, not engine load.  Personally, I'm loving my Daytona Twin Tech autotune system on the pumpkin...
2012 Black/Orange SEUC

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 09:08:23 PM »

Although it is not supported by Dynojet, the PCV will work on 2007 HD's too (according to Fuelmoto). I have PCV with autotune (no dyno hours required) installed on a 2008 SERK and  I am quite happy with it.

There ya go! Bottom line, right?
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:09:33 PM »

One thing to consider about the Power Commander is that it does not do as good of a job preventing pinging since it adjusts only by throttle position, not engine load.  Personally, I'm loving my Daytona Twin Tech autotune system on the pumpkin...

Another happy customer!
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 09:12:49 PM »

That makes sense.
Getting what I need/want rules out most all aftermarket tuning devices and leaves me with Mastertune.........but...........that's me!
HOGMIKE

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 24 queries.