Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fullsac Muffler Tips...  (Read 2707 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Fullsac Muffler Tips...
« on: October 04, 2009, 07:56:33 PM »

I apologize for taking so long to get some pictures out on the Fullsac slash cut muffler tips, but it's just been a little hectic and mainly I forgot...  :o  :o  :o

I took these today while at the Rat Run.  The lighting was pretty good and I had my cell phone, so I had to just take the pictures and get on with life.

Here they are.

I'm going to take a guess on this next statement, so here goes.

I would guess that Fullsac had these made up with the SERG in mind for their primary use.  Now they fit lots of other HD baggers as well, but they look like they're made for the SERG.  That being said, the slash angle does NOT match the rear slope of the bags or fender.  So if you're going to go to the work of having a private label tip made with your brand on it, why not make them the same angle cut as the rear of the HD bags?  The correct angle seems like an obvious prerequisite when contracting them out.  The only other minor complaint would be that they appear to be polished stainless and they do not match the white chrome of the mufflers, they're a bit yellow in comparison.  They shine up nice and I doubt most people would notice the difference in either the coloration or the slash angle.

That being said, they do fit nicely into the stock CVO 4" mufflers.  I do like them very much.  When I have chroming done for the boardtrack project, I'll probably have the tips chromed so they better match the mufflers and shields.

With the tips I purchased the TTS Mastertune and Steve sent me the Stage I map.  I had very little problem getting it uploaded.  One call to a friend to step me through one window and I was uploading perfectly.

I'm very pleased with the results.  I cut the CAT at the same time.  I think Fullsac charges $125 to do the full decoring and re-welding.  In my opinion that's a great deal unless you can find a stock CAT'less header pipe for less money.  When they said air chisel, they meant it.  I used my plasma torch and cut a window in the side of the collector and began cutting away.  Damn that stuff is tuff.  After about an hour of cussing and cut fingers, I was done and ready to weld back in the piece I cut out.  It it were in the winter and I didn't mind being down for a bit, sending out the header would have been a lot better choice.  But for me It was only one evening and I didn't have to remove the header pipe, only the mufflers.

Again I'm very happy with the heat reduction and the performance.  A buddy of mine just had the 54 cam and Stage II map done locally that he purchased from Fullsac.  He has not yet done the V-Tune, but the performance for right now is better with a smoother more powerful pull through the gears as well as just plain riding.  He loves it.  I may considering doing this during the winter if my other projects get finished.  I guess I'd have to work on them first though...

If anyone has any questions, ask away...

:)  :)  :)
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

NVWLDTHG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 CVO™ Road Glide® - FLTRSE3
    • CVO2: 2004 R1200CL (Chromehead)
    • CVO3: 1979 R100RT (Airhead)
Re: Fullsac Muffler Tips...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 08:29:20 PM »

Thanks for the update.   :2vrolijk_20:

catahoula58

• Senior CVO Member
  • "There are no LifeGuards in the Gene Pool"
    • TX

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
    • CVO2: 2004 Heritage Softail (NON CVO)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »

:orange:  Thanks for the info on the muff tips!  I too have purchased the tips along with the fullsac 2.00 in cores for the muffs and the 54 cam for my upgrade on the serg.  I got a set of catless headers along with the crossover and had them jet hot coated and will be installing all for the upgrade. :orange:  Nice looking O/B you know you got the fastest color too!

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »

Hey Dan, different subject. Have you had any time to work on your boad track bike?

Craig

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »

Hey Dan, different subject. Have you had any time to work on your board track bike?

Craig

Unfortunately with the new SERG any time I have available on a weekend we're riding.

I had hoped to have it ready for the Rat Run that was yesterday, but as you can tell, that didn't happen...

I do plan on getting back to it soon though.

My buddy that I bought my '76 FLH from and the one I posted pictures of his "Black Betty" hardtail, just told me this past week that he finally bought a Honda Rune.  He's excited about having it delivered this week.  It's a first model year '04 and has about 2k miles on it.  It's black too.  These are like the Victory Vision, you either love them or hate them.

I tend to go for the odd ball items anyway, so the Rune will be a great bike to test ride.  It's basically the Goldwing 1832cc motor, but I think the fuel and exhaust are different than the Goldwing.  It may be a bit faster and slightly louder; never hear one running.

Sorry for the side track on the board track. 

Thanks for asking about it.

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:04:05 AM »

Unfortunately with the new SERG any time I have available on a weekend we're riding.

I had hoped to have it ready for the Rat Run that was yesterday, but as you can tell, that didn't happen...

I do plan on getting back to it soon though.

My buddy that I bought my '76 FLH from and the one I posted pictures of his "Black Betty" hardtail, just told me this past week that he finally bought a Honda Rune.  He's excited about having it delivered this week.  It's a first model year '04 and has about 2k miles on it.  It's black too.  These are like the Victory Vision, you either love them or hate them.

I tend to go for the odd ball items anyway, so the Rune will be a great bike to test ride.  It's basically the Goldwing 1832cc motor, but I think the fuel and exhaust are different than the Goldwing.  It may be a bit faster and slightly louder; never hear one running.

Sorry for the side track on the board track. 

Thanks for asking about it.

Was just wondering, the bike was looking good, when you get back at it send some new pictures.

Craig

Crusty

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ex_Wingabego Rider & former Iron Butt riding fool

• CVO1: '09 SERG
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 05:36:17 AM »

I actually just noticed these on their site earlier today. The angles of your photos makes them look like they stick out further than they do in the photo on the Fullsac website.

I didn't notice the angle IS a bit off until you mentioned it and I went back and looked.

I'd have to agree that if you're going to have something made to market to the CVO crowd, polished stainless is not what I'd go with. Makes for a great price, but with all the chrome on the CVO, and the obvious inclination of CVO owner to not half-ass things, no matter what the cost, you'd do it right and make them chrome.  :nixweiss:

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 11:16:14 AM »

I actually just noticed these on their site earlier today. The angles of your photos makes them look like they stick out further than they do in the photo on the Fullsac website.

I didn't notice the angle IS a bit off until you mentioned it and I went back and looked.

I'd have to agree that if you're going to have something made to market to the CVO crowd, polished stainless is not what I'd go with. Makes for a great price, but with all the chrome on the CVO, and the obvious inclination of CVO owner to not half-ass things, no matter what the cost, you'd do it right and make them chrome.  :nixweiss:

Crusty,

On my bike I've gone as far forward as I can and still use the heat shields.  If I move the muffler shields back any further the front of the shield as it rounds the front of the mufflers will hit the muffler and could rattle.  I'm not sure if each bike is a bit different in muffler position lengthwise or not.  The right side muffler has no option to move more forward because it butts up to the main header pipe which in turn is bolted to the heads; so it is what it is......

As far as stainless goes on the tips, I thought I might have miss spoken myself.  I just thought that they were more yellow and dull in finish and the inside was shiny as well, they were stainless.  So they could have been just a poor chrome job, but I just went out and did the magnet test and they are in fact a high grade of stainless steel.

But that being said they just don't quite have the luster that chrome does.  Granted you only see the tips when you're walking around and you can only see the muffler, shield and tip from a distance so telling the slight difference is not a big deal.  But as I said, when I do the chrome work for the boardtrack, I'll throw these in as well.

Regardless of the angle, shine color, they look better than the stock CVO tips.

Oh boy, I think I've messed up. :o  :o  :o

I just went to the HD parts and accessories website and looked at these.  I knew that HD had tips, but didn't think about them and wanted to help out Fullsac as well.

But look at these and they're $39.95 each.  They appear to have the same angle as the rear slope of the bag in the picture so they are probably a nicer looking set of tips that will match the chrome as well.

:oops:

Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

dartman

• Elite CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 02:57:32 PM »

Nope, You didn't mess up. None of the 4in tips listed in the HD catalogue for the SE Performance Mufflers come anywhere near fitting the CVO OEM mufflers they use an entirely different mounting system.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 03:36:29 PM by dartman »

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 24 queries.