Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Harley Recall  (Read 37838 times)

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
Harley Recall
« on: December 02, 2009, 08:38:17 PM »

Dear Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Owner:

This notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain model year 2009 and 2010 Touring family vehicles (including CVO touring and Trike products) built June 6, 2008 through November 19, 2009. On these vehicles, the fuel tank front mounts may distort in reaction to severe frame damage from a frontal collision. This condition may cause a fuel leak at the weld of the front bracket to the tunnel. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may result in a fire, which could lead to injury or death of the rider.

Our records indicate that you purchased one of the affected motorcycles.

We strongly urge you to contact your dealer to make arrangements to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible.

Please contact your authorized Harley-Davidson motorcycle dealer immediately and arrange an appointment to have your motorcycle repaired. Your dealer will install a left and right hand brace, which are intended to reduce front mount distortion during certain crash conditions. Actual dealer labor time to perform this service will be less than one hour; however, due to scheduling, the dealer may require your motorcycle for a longer period of time. The parts and labor will be free of charge to you.

To verify that the service has been completed, your dealer will ask you to sign a recall claim. If you have sold your motorcycle, please forward the appropriate information about your purchaser. This will enable us to contact him/her and advise that person of this recall. Also, Federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

If you have had this defect repaired before you received this letter, you may be eligible to receive reimbursement for the cost of obtaining a pre-notification remedy of the problem associated with this recall. For more information contact Harley-Davidson at 1-414-343-4056. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition.

If you take your motorcycle to your dealer on a mutually agreed upon date and they do not perform the required service to your satisfaction, please contact Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. for immediate assistance at the address or telephone number listed on this letterhead. If your dealer or Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. fails or is unable to remedy your motorcycle without charge within a reasonable time, you may wish to inform the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153); or contact NHTSA at http://www.safercar.gov.

We regret any inconvenience this may cause you, but we are initiating this action in the interest of your personal safety and satisfaction with our products. Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 09:11:23 PM by Unbalanced »
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

SIX38

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 Ultra Classic Ruby Red / Maroon (traded in)
    • CVO2: 2019 Road Glide Mako Fade
Re: Harley Recall ???
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 08:53:37 PM »

Hmmm, "severe frame damage from a frontal collision". I dare say that a leaking gas tank is the least of your problems at this point!!
Tom P.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 09:11:01 PM »

I just check my 09 SEUC RUby and it has the following recall:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Owners/service_checkup.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

There are one or more open safety recalls or product improvement campaigns on your vehicle. The following list contains the campaign number and a brief description:

Recall Notice: 0141: '09-'10 TOURING FRT FL/TNK MTS

We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details.
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 09:13:42 PM »

Hmmm, "severe frame damage from a frontal collision". I dare say that a leaking gas tank is the least of your problems at this point!!
Tom P.

Have to agree with you...and chances are, if you've suffered severe frame damage from a frontal collision, you probably won't be on the bike anymore anyway, so even if the tank does leak you won't be there to see it.  Interesting how they'll reimburse you if you've already had the repair done.  My question would be, without knowing the issue before hand, why would you have had the work done, unless you had a severe frontal crash and now your tank is leaking?   :nixweiss:  I have a bike that falls in that timeframe, but have not received any letter from the MoCo.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »

I just check my 09 SEUC RUby and it has the following recall:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/Owners/service_checkup.jsp?locale=en_US&bmLocale=en_US

There are one or more open safety recalls or product improvement campaigns on your vehicle. The following list contains the campaign number and a brief description:

Recall Notice: 0141: '09-'10 TOURING FRT FL/TNK MTS

We strongly urge you to take your motorcycle to your dealer to have the appropriate service performed as soon as possible. Should you choose to ride your motorcycle prior to this service, we urge you to be aware of this condition. Some product campaigns may have expired and you may have to pay for the service. Please see your local Harley-Davidson dealer for further details.

Yep, got the same result for my SESG...guess I'll have it fixed...

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

CVORick

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 09:25:30 PM »

Tom P.

Could just be a ploy to get us to the dealer for Christmas shopping!!!  :santa3: :santa2:
TTS Mastertune - Doc's Performance Tuning
Supertrapp 2:1 Supermeg
HD Bluetooth BOMM
Zumo 590LM with TPMS
Motolights with LEDs'
Progressive 440HD Shocks & Monotube Fork cartridges
LED Headlight & Driving Lights from HD

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: Harley Recall
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 09:31:02 PM »

Mine falls in the range and since I am already having the fuel tank replaced from accident damage I guess I should call them and tell them to do this too. I wonder if they would do it anyway without me calling to remind them :nixweiss:

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 09:33:59 PM »

Mine also is affected by this recall.  Whomever gets this procedure done for the recall, please post picture of the brace and describe what they did.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:01:08 PM by DRTYK9 »

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »

Mine also is affected by this recall.  Whomever gets this procedure done for the recall, please post picture of the brace and describe what they did.

Thanks!

Your '07 might have leaked, but it wasn't recalled!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Hoist! :coolblue:
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

rlavigna

• Elite CVO Member
  • FKA: Rich07

• CVO1: '10 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: '07 SERK (retired)
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 09:40:28 PM »

Your '07 might have leaked, but it wasn't recalled!!! :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss: :nixweiss:

Yeah . . . But this recall is only to prevent me from turning into a human fire-ball just after a front end collision.  No problem!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 09:44:31 PM »

Wonder what's different with the six gallon tanks to cause the recall?

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 09:45:36 PM »

Yeah . . . But this recall is only to prevent me from turning into a human fire-ball just after a front end collision.  No problem!

HeHe!!! '09/'10 CVO's! :o :D ;)

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

SBB

• 10K CVO Member
  • Go fast or go home! EBCM member # 2.36 .01%
    • CVO2: 2011.5 SEUC
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2009, 09:46:20 PM »

Wonder what's different with the six gallon tanks to cause the recall?

Will find out Thursday Don and let you know.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

2012      SERG  "Nu Blue"
2018      Goldwing   
2003      HD Electra Glide Classic Silver and Black, of course!                
2 2012   Suzuki Burgmans
2018      Shelby GT350, 963 crank hp, 825 rear wheel hp

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 09:47:47 PM »

!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 09:49:25 PM »

Will find out Thursday Don and let you know.

:2vrolijk_21:

SBB

Thanks Chip.  It's certainly a curiosity.  They've assembled gas tanks for decades.  And now suddenly they get something wrong?  Just seems odd.  Almost have to wonder if the tanks didn't change but some regulation or impact guidance did and bit them in the ass.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Page created in 0.194 seconds with 24 queries.