Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The ConV is a DOG  (Read 6168 times)

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 05 FLSTFSE (Platinum)
    • CVO2: 10 FLHXSE (Teq Sun)
    • CVO3: 10 FLSTSE (Scarlet)
The ConV is a DOG
« on: January 20, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »

... or a Wolf.  :2vrolijk_21:

I rode our ConV today just to get in some two wheel time. This is C's bike not mine so I have only ridden it a few short times. She has just over 300 miles on it and rides with the solo set up most of the time.

While running down the road I heard something weird. I pulled in the clutch and coasted for a bit. Between 30 and 35 MPH the rear wheel sounded like a dog howl or the moon chant from a Wolf. That's about the best I can equate it to. A long single howling note best heard on the right rear.

Could this be a bad wheel bearing? Are there any others that make this sound?

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: The ConV is a DOG
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 10:32:08 PM »

... or a Wolf.  :2vrolijk_21:

I rode our ConV today just to get in some two wheel time. This is C's bike not mine so I have only ridden it a few short times. She has just over 300 miles on it and rides with the solo set up most of the time.

While running down the road I heard something weird. I pulled in the clutch and coasted for a bit. Between 30 and 35 MPH the rear wheel sounded like a dog howl or the moon chant from a Wolf. That's about the best I can equate it to. A long single howling note best heard on the right rear.

Could this be a bad wheel bearing? Are there any others that make this sound?

wheel bearing?  drive belt/rear wheel alignment?  rear belt guard touching drive belt?  brake caliper not centered - pad touching?
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 10:40:01 PM »

wheel bearing?  drive belt/rear wheel alignment?  rear belt guard touching drive belt?  brake caliper not centered - pad touching?

It's louder on the right rear than on the left. I touched the rear brake and it made no difference. It was the first thing that went through my mind as there isn't anything else on that side. Since the belt guard is on the left I didn't look.

I'll have to take it in so HD can listen and fix it. I would hate for it to get louder while on a long ride and lockup the back tire when the wife is on it.

Would still like to know, before I take it in, if anyone else has heard this noise. I've never had a bad rear bearing.

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 08:51:50 AM »

I have heard that on a number of occasions also with mine.  Did it right out the gate.  Usually when I am coming off the freeway and slowing down in the 35-40 mph range, I would guess.  Sort of a low whine, I think.  Sort of a "turbine" effect.  I don't know why they put a turbine on our bikes but I guess we needed one!  So, there we have it.  The first turbine powered bike out there!  If we had our local Harley dealer was open for business, I would be tempted to call them up and ask what's up?  But they have been closed since last September and it doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.......... yet.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 08:53:26 AM by porkypig »

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 09:15:01 AM »

Hey Porky

Well, if it is simply a design in the wheel spoke, like a turbo sound you say, I could agree with you, no biggy. Since all wheels, spoked or other, are like solid wheels over 45 MPH the noise would have to be in the MPH range we are talking about. This would be a relief. It could be a flute noise from the spokes on that big fat rear tire. Yep, makes plenty of sense.

But, there's always a but right?, if it is a wheel bearing someone isn't going to be a happy camper during the aftermath. Ya know?

It's raining and will continue to be cold out for a while. I want to listen to it again but still wondering what other ConV owners have heard.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 01:13:14 PM »

I have not heard that from mine but I will pay close attention on my next ride and let you know if I hear anything. My exhaust is still stock so I am sure I would have noticed if the conv was howling like that.

Mike V
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

goldfar

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 03:06:55 PM »

Are there any others that make this sound?

I'll give it a listen tomorrow at 30 - 35 mph.  I do coast into our development after every ride in order to not disturb the other residents but only at 25 mph.  At that speed, I haven't heard a thing.  I will definitely try 30 -35 tomorrow when the rain stops.

I am starting to feel less and less dejected because you beat me to this bike and I had to wait a week longer.  Perhaps your bike was built during, “Yorkfest” which as you know is a very local holiday to York, PA during the 3rd week in October where it is traditional for the young women in town to invite the men from the CVO plant to come out during lunch break and the gals are required to buy all the beer the CVO folks can drink otherwise they will never marry and die old, alone and childless.  Never, never buy a CVO bike built during the 3rd week in October!!
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

goldfar

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »

Are there any others that make this sound?

Mr Wizard, tried it today, no howling sound.

Tried coasting from 50 on down, even shut the motor off to hear better - no wolf.  At 35 or so, I did hear what sounded like loudish tire whine from the front tire, that's about it.
2010 Screaming Eagle Softail Convertible
Crimson Red/Autum Haze

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 02:46:51 PM »

Did you ride down our road this afternoon?  If not, there's another Scarlet nearby. Thought it was you at first but the helmet was a different color.

Thanks for checking that sound. It's really strange. Maybe it only sounds like that with the bags off?

C and I are going to the bike show tomorrow AM, are you and L going? I think P & P are going too. I'm running out of alphabet.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »

I wish I would have read this before I went so we could have met. I just got back from the show. and I was a bit disappointed, It seems like it is getting smaller every year. There was a blue convertible there and I must say it was nicer in person then in the pics. The frame was a dark metallic blue not black as I thought. I bet it will be killer in the sunlight.

Mike
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 08:32:19 PM »

That's too bad Mike, would have loved to meet you. We found that goldfar lives just up the street from us and today there was another Scarlet ConV that came down our dead end road.

I wished you had better news about the show though. We will be headed there in the morning to check things out.

Hope more chime in about this howling or turbine noise on the rear. Would be nice to see what's up.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:25:26 AM »

Mr. Wizard,

Don't get me wrong, I DID spend 6 hours there :-). I did get a chance to chat with one of the factory reps and at the HD booth. Most of the people manning the booth are from various dealerships but there are a few factory reps in the mix. I met with one and gave him some feedback on the bike including the windshield buffeting, brakes etc. I let him know that it would be cool to have HD produce a rear engine guard and make it a quick release to go along with the convertible theme. I also pointed out that it would be cool to have a way to secure the side bags to the bike. He was very attentive, liked the feedback and said he would take these ideas back to the CVO team.

Speaking of the luggage locks one of the vendors there who was selling different kinds of bike locks had some nice quality Master gun locks. They were essentially small cable locks that could be used to secure the bags to the frame from the inside. They were only $5.95 and he will give you matched sets (same key) if you ask him. I got 3 as it could also be used as a handy helmet lock in a pinch.

I found another custom winshied fabricator (Steve I think) who uses Lexan and told him of the need of a quality replacement for the CONV's wonshield. He was also very interested and would probably start making them if enough people were interested. Be sure to inquire and get them moving!

Have fun at the show - how long will you be in town for?

Mike

Mr. Wizard

• Elite CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 08:01:04 AM »

Mike, why do I have this funny feeling that we are not talking about the show?   :nixweiss:

We live Atlanta and there is a show here this weekend.  :2vrolijk_21:

I will hijack a rep from this show and give him the same feedback. Would have been funny to tell both of them, from different shows, that we wanted a ConV in Green/Yellow/Purple combo with pink grips or something like that or that we want MP3 w/surround sound built into the footboards...  LOL Think they would have considered a conspiracy?

Wiz

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 03:35:16 PM »

Yep, I was talkin bout the NY show  :nixweiss:

Have fun!

Mike.

Mandrew13

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLSTSE
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 10:10:46 PM »

Just came across this old thread. Did anyone determine the cause for that sound?
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 24 queries.