Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dyno Tuned ... Does it "hurt" the engine ?  (Read 4908 times)

Two Wheels

• Junior CVO Member
Dyno Tuned ... Does it "hurt" the engine ?
« on: February 24, 2010, 01:40:39 AM »

Gents:

I recently had my 2007 SERK Road King professionally dyno'ed by a recommended professional. Good reputation.  But I noticed on the print outs that he took it up to 6,500 RPM's with the RED line being 5,500.   now worried ...

While I rarely go above 4,500 RPM, could the fact that it was taken past red line several times hurt or damage the engine ?   I was a little bummed when I saw that.   I immediately changed the oil and no problems but its one of those things thats now on my mind.

What are your thoughts. I mean I never red line my bikes and now Im "worried" that engine damage has been done. 

Is there a rev limiter on the 2007 110 engine ?   The fact that its been above red line several times...well has damage occurred ?

Runs great.  Just on my mind now....

Bumming me out.

Thoughts appreciated ...

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
Re: Dyno Tuned ... Does it "hurt" the engine ?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 08:19:02 AM »

Gents:

I recently had my 2007 SERK Road King professionally dyno'ed by a recommended professional. Good reputation.  But I noticed on the print outs that he took it up to 6,500 RPM's with the RED line being 5,500.   now worried ...

While I rarely go above 4,500 RPM, could the fact that it was taken past red line several times hurt or damage the engine ?   I was a little bummed when I saw that.   I immediately changed the oil and no problems but its one of those things thats now on my mind.

What are your thoughts. I mean I never red line my bikes and now Im "worried" that engine damage has been done. 

Is there a rev limiter on the 2007 110 engine ?   The fact that its been above red line several times...well has damage occurred ?

Runs great.  Just on my mind now....

Bumming me out.

Thoughts appreciated ...

It's highly unlikely there is any damage in your motor.  The 5500 stock rev limit is very conservative in terms of potential damage to your motor.

The rev limiter can be raised or over-ridden by most tuning devices....  And there is a difference between 6500 rpm on the highway and 6500 rpm on a dyno as it relates to loads placed on your motor.
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:37:11 AM »

Consider if you will that H-D's own Stage 1 downloads increase the rev limiter setting to 6200 rpm, even on the stock TC88 and now TC96 engines.  So that 5500 "redline" you find on all the tachometers is very, very conservative, and IMHO is just another of Harley's little tricks to get folks to spend more for upgrades.  I wouldn't lose any sleep over the higher rpm's on the dyno.

On the other hand, unless you changed cams I do wonder why any tuner would turn a CVO110 up that high.  The stock cam timing is heavily biased toward the bottom end, and doesn't do diddly at high rpms.   :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 10:13:28 AM »

I agree, but once the power starts to drop there's no reason to rev the bike any higher.  :nixweiss:

Godeater

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2001 ScreaminEagle Road Glide Blk/Sil
    • Radical Cycle
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 02:10:32 PM »

I have been running a Dynojet dyno for over 3 and I just got back form PC V training in vegas.  Was a greeat class.  They have test mules with over 30,000 dyno miles on them that have had nothing more then normal mat and upkeep done on them. I have only damaged one shovel head ever on the dyno and it was tired.  Few tires blown.  That is all.  If there is a weak link you may find it.  But better on the dyno then on the highway. BTW if you have need dyno jst can unlock you pc up to 6700rpm  farther if you can send in a dyno sheet showing you are still making power past that.  Just have to send in form and get unlock code.  For a stock bike it is point less, and for many bikes with nothing more then bolt in cams there is no point.  But if you have built a roller motor and have some bigger high breathing cams it might be usefull.  The wrong guy on the dyno can possible hurt your motor, but if done right it will extend the life of the motor by getting rid of lean spots or places where maybe you need timing taken away. 
2001 FLTRISE2 103 Stroker
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Crank
Screamin Eagle Forged Stroker Pistons 5 Over
Stock Jugs 5 Over
Polished and Ported Stock Heads
Manly Titanium Springs 640 Lift
Manly Stainless Valves
Screamin Eagle Cam Plate and High Flo Pump
S&S 585 Gear Drives
Horse Power Inc. 51mm Intake with Screamin Eagle 25 deg Injectors 62 psi Fuel Reg
Power Commander III USB
Screamin Eagle Heavy Breather
D&D Fatcat Stand Baffle
Baker OD6 speed
Lowered 2 inchs
Danny Grey Seat

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.