Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FXDSE fork chrome issues  (Read 5264 times)

HDbeerman

FXDSE fork chrome issues
« on: March 21, 2010, 10:23:20 AM »

How many have the fork chrome pitting / bubbling issue? Is there a warranty recall on this? Anybody have trouble getting the problem corrected by the dealer? My 2007 with only 9000 miles is really getting bad on both the lowers and uppers. Getting ready to go see the dealer but want to have as much info as possible to take with me.

kerdmann

• Prayer Works

• CVO1: 08 FXDSE2
Re: FXDSE fork chrome issues
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:36:27 PM »

I have an 08 no problem yet but I will keep an eye on them.

sblade1948

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FXDSE
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 05:56:40 AM »

Same on mine.

PAPA T

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXDSE2
    • CVO2: Not CVO 99FXSTS
    • CVO3: NOT CVO 83 Ironhead & 98 Sportys
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:48:45 AM »

Just finished a Trip to Tulsa and back. On the way down it was rain most of the way from St louis to Joplin.When I

got to my sons in Tulsa bike was parked until morning then I did a quick rinse/Hand wash and noticed "bug Splatter"

all over The Chrome uppers and lowers and mirrors. Rode back home St Pats day and hit a lil mist/rain so morning

after I got back same rinse /hand wash quickie the into the garage.

Well today I did the full detail on it and as I was washing the uppers Chrome started flying off of them!!!

It looks now like someone tried to sand blast it with Pea Gravel!!!   Uppers, Lowers, mirrors and mirror stems, Triple

tree all has chrome peeling off of them!  Jugs are peeling Powdercoat, Inner Primary peeling Powdercoat also!!

No other Chrome or paint is even scratched.

Going to dealer this afternoon and will post some pics tonight!  Wish me luck!

Tim
It'll feel better when it quits hurting!!!

Shovelhead

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FXDSE, SERT, SE Heavy Breather, V & H Big Radius 2 into 1, S&S 585 gear-driven cams, Rivera tapered adjustable pushrods, H-D Oil cooler, Baker DD7, SE Compensator, SOHB Wedge Tensioner
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 01:02:55 PM »

Haven't experienced that one yet, but my right fork seal has been leaking since new so I would assume the oil hasn't helped the integrity of chrome plating in the slightest.
.....started off having a great day this morning,had not been lied to or treated like a fool, then I visited an H-D dealer service dept

PAPA T

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 08:00:41 AM »

I have some pics to post but to large for here. I will try to get somewhere today to upload to Picasa web albums. Don't want too use all the bandwidth up here at home!

MoCo is sending a rep to look at bike the 31st. They seem concerned.

Tim

CK

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 07 FXDSE
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 08:21:15 PM »

My forks were all pitted/chipped, but since I purchased the bike used (with only 1300 miles), I could not get it covered under warranty.  I've read other posts about people having the same problem with this model year bike and I think they were able to get it covered by the factory warranty, since they were the original owners.  So, I just replaced the front forks last month and the bike looks so much better.

PAPA T

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »

Well, all I can say here today is that it was a phenomenal day!!!

I still havn't had time to upload pics but I will get to it eventually.

This morning I met with the service manager (Mark Boyer), the H-D rep (Mike can't find his card to remember last name), and briefly with the owner (Tim Surdyke, Surdyke H-D) at the dealership and I can't say
enough good things about the way everything was handled!!!

The gist of it is this:

Replace Tripple Trees, both front forks, headlight bracket, front wheel spacers, mirrors, jugs, heads, inner primary, (with Chrome inner primary, It is cheaper than re-powdercoating).

Also split motor and send cases out for total refubishment of powdercoat!!!

I also had a fitment issue with the gas tank (Bad/misaligned weld, pics to come) and so get a new tank!

The downside is the time it will take to do all the work in the middle of the riding season :(

The good news I can see is crank welded and pinned, cams, Diamond cut Jugs, head work, Cometic gasket, possible

piston change, and bearing conversion? (Need some help on those two) all with No Labor Cost For disassembly/reassembly!!!! :orange: :huepfenjump3: :bananarock: :apple: :jalapeno: :cucumber: :pineapple: :pepper:

What am I missing that I can do while this all taken apart???

Sooooo, once again Thank you H-D and Surdyke H-D for everthing!!!! Also big Thank You to the site for being so well informed and educational. I could not have dealt with this without all the people here on the site!!!!

Tim

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 05:35:38 PM »

My forks were all pitted/chipped, but since I purchased the bike used (with only 1300 miles), I could not get it covered under warranty.  I've read other posts about people having the same problem with this model year bike and I think they were able to get it covered by the factory warranty, since they were the original owners.  So, I just replaced the front forks last month and the bike looks so much better.

I didn't see this back when it was originally posted, but I have to say something now that I've seen it.  The warranty has nothing to do with being the original owner, it is for two years from the date the bike was first placed into service.  So if the bike was less than two years old when you were told this, whoever came up with that owe's you whatever it cost you to fix this yourself.  Contact H-D customer service with all the details and see what they say.  You might get a refund.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.