Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cruise control not working  (Read 7232 times)

marshall10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHX
cruise control not working
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:15:07 PM »

I have a 2009 FLHX and today the cruise control stopped working. Then check engine light came on three times during the ride. finally towards the end the cruise started working. When I got home I started checking the bike out. The brake light does not come on with the rear brake depressed. There was some fluid on the rear brake light switch. Could this be causing the problem. Also why would there be fluid on the switch. Wanted to take it by the dealer, but they closed at 6 pm. I've had no problems from this bike before and any help would be appreciated.
Anyone can piss on the floor, but Chuck Norris can crap on the ceiling.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
Re: cruise control not working
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:40:02 PM »

I have a 2009 FLHX and today the cruise control stopped working. Then check engine light came on three times during the ride. finally towards the end the cruise started working. When I got home I started checking the bike out. The brake light does not come on with the rear brake depressed. There was some fluid on the rear brake light switch. Could this be causing the problem. Also why would there be fluid on the switch. Wanted to take it by the dealer, but they closed at 6 pm. I've had no problems from this bike before and any help would be appreciated.

I would check fuses first, then ride it to the dealer, you have a warranty use it.
I hope you have one of those "good" dealers!
I know this is not always convenient, but, probably your best bet!
 :nixweiss:
HOGMIKE

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 10:17:05 PM »

The short answer is yes, the brake light switch and the brake lights themselves will affect the cruise control.  And if that is fresh brake fluid on the switch, indicating a leak, that is a likely cause.  The switch is plumbed into the hydraulic line and is activated by fluid pressure.

Take the bike to the dealer, as previously noted.  If you want to investigate yourself, read the stored codes.  There should be one or more diagnostic trouble codes stored from when your check engine light came on.  There are several threads on how to read the codes, search on "diagnostic trouble codes".

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

marshall10

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHX
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 06:09:39 PM »

So I ran the diagnostic and I got:

p0132 Which I believe is the front O2 sensor high  AND

P0572 which is the brake switch low.

what exactly do these mean. I have a screamin eagle stage one intake and rineheart slip ons also have the race tuner. the race tuner and pipes were done at the dealer.

Anyone can piss on the floor, but Chuck Norris can crap on the ceiling.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:38:36 PM »

So I ran the diagnostic and I got:

p0132 Which I believe is the front O2 sensor high  AND

P0572 which is the brake switch low.

what exactly do these mean. I have a screamin eagle stage one intake and rineheart slip ons also have the race tuner. the race tuner and pipes were done at the dealer.

The ECM monitors voltages from the various sensors, and each one has a normal range of values.  A fault could result from either a higher than normal value, or a lower than normal value.  That's why the DTC's are broken out that way, "low" or "high".  That code for the brake light switch, and the fluid you saw, leads me to believe you have a defective switch.  The O2 sensor high code could mean that that particular cylinder is running too rich (a higher voltage indicates rich, a lower voltage indicates lean), or it could mean the sensor is bad and isn't switching (the system normally switches from rich to lean to rich, etc. rapidly as the ECM controls the mixture around the set value).  The codes in and of themselves don't always tell you exactly what the problem is, they just lead you to the proper systems and diagnostic routines.  If you have the electrical manual, there will be diagnostic routines listed for the various codes to help isolate the cause.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

J-Carr

• Got to keep the Loonies on the path
  • Elite CVO Member
  • SoA#911.2

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 08:24:31 AM »

Jerry's covered the how's and why's of fixing the switch/sensor.  The reason the break light switch is affecting the cruise control is that it's what deactivates the cruise when you hit the breaks.  So the computer is programmed to disconnect the cruise whenever there's a code sent indicating a problem with it.  I'm sure once you do as Jerry suggests or take it the dealer to have it repaired under warrenty the cruise will be fine.

Ride Safe,
JC

Me, Screamin' Nemo and The Kid.

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you're happy and you know it, Punch the Clown!!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 02:36:53 PM »

Just had this issue POP on on my bike yesterday.  No rear brake light and no cruise at certain times.  Did the brake switch fix you problem.  Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 03:30:59 PM »

Had dealer replace switch.  All is good , but know I have to push my foot pedal way more than before to get a satisfactory stop.  Before I just set my Fipe in the brake pedal start to press down and it was right there. 
Will bleeding the rear brake get the pedal up and will that mess up my abs light.
Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Limited Lou

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLHTCUI
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 02:36:54 PM »

Had dealer replace switch.  All is good , but know I have to push my foot pedal way more than before to get a satisfactory stop.  Before I just set my Fipe in the brake pedal start to press down and it was right there. 
Will bleeding the rear brake get the pedal up and will that mess up my abs light.
Let's Roll

I had warranty work on rear switch also. Had switch replaced and had to go back next day and believe they bleeded it.
2008 FLHTCUI
Olive Pearl/Vivid Black

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 02:56:21 PM »

Let's Roll

Yes, almost certainly the dipsticks technical staff need to bleed the brakes and didn't.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 03:07:36 PM »

Yes, almost certainly the dipsticks technical staff need to bleed the brakes and didn't.

Good grief! I can't believe that they gave your bike back with a soft rear brake! Morons...

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

LETS_ROLL

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 03:30:23 PM »

I asked the tech. if he bleed the brakes and he said " yes, the pedal came up pretty nice, is good to go". 
So Don, you say if I bleed it a couple more times I should get a firmer pedal.  Will it mess up my abs light?
BTW , hope things are good there in Joplin and you considere making the trip to the GTG here in Spokane next summer.  Thanks. Let's Roll
LET'S ROLL
2009 FLTRSE3
2011 FLHXSE2

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »

I asked the tech. if he bleed the brakes and he said " yes, the pedal came up pretty nice, is good to go". 
So Don, you say if I bleed it a couple more times I should get a firmer pedal.  Will it mess up my abs light?
BTW , hope things are good there in Joplin and you considere making the trip to the GTG here in Spokane next summer.  Thanks. Let's Roll

Thanks Gabe.  And I'd love to make the trip west.  It's been hard to get any travel in the last two or three years though.  I still keep trying!

And yes, you can bleed the rear brake as you always would have.  Switch fitting is downstream of tha ABS pump so no worries of air within the pump.  Bleed it like you always would have. 

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 24 queries.