Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: NEW Exhaust pipe issues!  (Read 2423 times)

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
NEW Exhaust pipe issues!
« on: July 14, 2010, 11:46:34 AM »

We are beginning to see more and more mismade exhaust pipes coming on the market when it comes to the O2 sensor placement. So this is a CYA for all of you looking to replace the stock head pipes. These are not coming from noname manufactures but from the big suppliers! The issue comes from not placing the O2 bung properly in the pipe and/or making the bung the WRONG size! This is causing issues with how the bike runs and is purely an exhaust pipe manufacture issue.

http://www.bosch.com.au/content/language1/downloads/Oxgen_Sensor__Cat_WEB.pdf

Go to page D4 lower left corner of the page to see how to properly install and O2 sensor! You can continue on to page D5 and it describes a general procedure for O2 placement.

If you are going to put pipes of any brand on your bike make sure and inspect this area before wasting you time because the wrong sensor placement is going to give you a poorly running bike. The sensor itself MUST be inside the exhaust flow so it can properly read the exhaust mixture!

I have also seen some exhaust manufactures now moving the 2010 small sensor closer to the cylinder head. I have not seen any failures yet but I am concerned about this, as the new small sensor will not take the heat due to its size. It has a heater in the sensor to warm it when cold and that is why HD moved the placement downstream!
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

digga25

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 serg
    • CVO2: 2010 sesg
Re: NEW Exhaust pipe issues!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 07:39:13 PM »

This may be a difficult ques to answer but can you say what manufacturer.I would understand if you dont want to divulge that info.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:44:08 PM »

Several all one needs to do is go look at what is being done. The link that I provided shows how it needs to be done! It seem HD can make them so they work so it should not be a big deal for the rest of them!

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »

Just for reference, here's a couple of shots of an '10 head pipe pulled apart, you can see the location of the sensor bungs, and also the extended tube inside from the front cylinder.
Hope this helps a bit
 :2vrolijk_21:
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:37:46 AM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 09:37:03 AM »

last one
HOGMIKE

skunk237

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 11:42:01 AM »

The collector off the 10 shows the pipe basically seperating the two sensors.. Is it critical to have them seperated to avoid overlap of informaiton.. I would guess so. How can we determine, as just a backyard mechanic switching a head pipe, if the collector actually does seperate the sensors, before purchase.

Thanks for you input

skunk237
2010 Limited, 113 miles,  with no mods as of today

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 03:24:10 PM »

The collector off the 10 shows the pipe basically seperating the two sensors.. Is it critical to have them seperated to avoid overlap of informaiton.. I would guess so. How can we determine, as just a backyard mechanic switching a head pipe, if the collector actually does seperate the sensors, before purchase.

Thanks for you input

skunk237
2010 Limited, 113 miles,  with no mods as of today

I have the same bike as yours.......only with 22000 miles. I replaced my stock head pipe (modified with no cat) with a Fullsac x-pipe. If there is any issues with overlap, reversion, bad sensor info or all the rest, I cannot tell from the drivers seat.
My bike runs fine, pulls hard, sounds great, gas mileage is fine, no stalls, hiccups, surges or all the rest. It just does what it should without any surprises.
This is my long distance bike, and I want "reliability" and good manners.......got all that!
JMHO
HOGMIKE

skunk237

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 09:37:51 AM »

Thanks HogMike for the info...... Mods are a coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skunk237

1Man1God

• 1Man
  • Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE (Blue-Bullet)
    • CVO2: Non CVO-2003 100th Anniversary Roadking (Pearl)
    • CVO3: Non CVO-1981 FXE (Crazy-Bitch)
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 06:51:52 PM »

Wow, So if I'm hearing you correctly, the '10 Model headpipe has a Catalytic Converter in it. The easy way to get around this and open the pipe up for air flow would be to just order new pipes from the exhaust manifold on back. Only "Some Manufacturers" of aftermarket pipes are building the O2 sensor bungs where the sensors don't fit far enough down into the exhaust flow to be accurate. And/or they located the Bung too close to the head which could cause premature failure. Is that about right????????
      Because I was fixing to pull the trigger on a set of Vance & Hines 2into2 and a TTS Tuner! Help me please!!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 06:53:42 PM by 1Man »
When life hits you hard....you either give up and lay down....or make your mind up that Nothing is gonna get in the way of your happiness. It starts with making that decision

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 07:50:03 PM »

I can only say what we've found and what we can see. I would take a stock sensor and measure it so when you go to look at a new set of "X, Y or Z" aftermarket head pipes that the sensor element is in the exhaust stream. If you look at the side of the sensor there are slots to allow the exhaust into the sensors element and this needs to stick in far enough to allow the exhaust to enter these slots.

Steve Cole

• Manufacturer TTS
  • 1K CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 01:50:47 PM »

Here is a link to a customer that has had the issue and just gotten it fixed.

http://harleytechtalk.org/htt/index.php/topic,29246.0.html

His exhaust supplier stepped up and solve the issue.

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.