Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: FLSTSE2 Audio System Retrofit?  (Read 9856 times)

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 FLSTSE CVO Softail Convertible
FLSTSE2 Audio System Retrofit?
« on: July 28, 2010, 04:45:16 PM »

OK - I cannot stop thinking about the audio system built into the new ConV windshield. I love the idea and want to retrofit it into the 2010 windshield. I guess I can do this several ways:

1. Order the entire windshield assembly and swap out the front colored panel (assuming it fits). Given this is a CVO specific part I am not sure I can buy it without owning a 2011 FLSTSE2. This would mean paying for parts I don't need like the actual lexan shield and the front cover.

2. Order the individual parts which include the speakers, amp, cables, mounting hardware and back cover with the cutouts.

3. Cut my own back cover for the speakers and purchase the new HD handlebar mounted system for the audio components.

4. Cut my own back cover and go totally aftermarket for the audio components.

Point 4 has me wondering if 20W / channel and 3.5" speakers are enough to actually hear anything while riding at highway speed. Then again it may be all I can fit into the limited space of the small ConV windshield. I would rather not have handlebar mounted speakers and the amp on the frame the way the new H-D Softail system is set up. It's self contained or nothing as I want to keep the lines as clean as possible. Has anyone else been thinking about this or have done something similar with aftermarket parts?

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

fastbikedroid

• Full CVO Member
Re: FLSTSE2 Audio System Retrofit?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 11:52:04 PM »

Mike,

I've been wondering the same thing, it'd be interesting to see the service manual.  At the same time I'm having trouble figuring out how it's all that different than the offerings from hogtunes, etc.  I think 20w is way too low.. 
-------------------
'10 BMW R1200Rt
'11 SESG / FLHXSE2 Black Diamond
Previously '10 FLSTSE

fadyco

• CVO1: 2009 Fatbob FXDFSE Sunrise Yellow
    • CVO2: 2010 Softail Convertible FLSTSE Orange
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:11:40 AM »

I have been toying with the idea of speakers since i bought this bike; and it is actually the only thing (other than ABS) I like about the 2011.  I am going to speak to my dealer (once he gets back from Vegas) to see if original 2011 parts can be fitted on the 2010.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 08:00:24 PM »

There are three new speaker systems that are in the new 2011 catalog. They are 76262-08 Chrome and 76320-08 Black. They retail for $399.95. They're handle bar mount, but they may be the ticket for FLSTSE owners. There is also a Windshield mount system 76321-09 which fits the Kingsize windshield if you have changed yours. Same price.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »

The 20w is fine. You just have to turn the ipod up to 3/4 volume and than at any speed you can hear what is being played. At least on my 2011 it works.  8)
Bob

ezpgh

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »

I have been toying with the idea of speakers since i bought this bike; and it is actually the only thing (other than ABS) I like about the 2011.  I am going to speak to my dealer (once he gets back from Vegas) to see if original 2011 parts can be fitted on the 2010.

It is my understanding that it can not because of the new wiring harness and ecm, but I suppose anything is possible if you want it bad enough.

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 02:47:44 PM »

I looked at the aftermarket options and I really don't want anything on my bars when the bike is stripped down in bar hop mode. Even my GPS mount is a non-marring quick release that comes off in seconds with nothing left behind.

I did recently get my hands on the 2011 exploded diagram for the 2011 fairing. Everything for the audio system is self contained in the fairing including speakers, amp and controls. As far as I can see it looks like with the right parts the only thing you need is the power on a quick disconnect. The big question is can i add these parts to my stock fairing which from the initial scam looks very possible. The other question is can it be done at a somewhat reasonable cost (not likely). The part #'s are not in the system yet so I cannot get prices for them and I really need to compare the two diagrams in detail to see exactly which pieces I will need so I can get a total amount. More to come...

MikeV
Fullsac 1.75" Baffles / TTS / Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads / H-D LED Headlight / CeeBailey Windshield

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 03:19:26 PM »

I looked at the aftermarket options and I really don't want anything on my bars when the bike is stripped down in bar hop mode. Even my GPS mount is a non-marring quick release that comes off in seconds with nothing left behind.

I did recently get my hands on the 2011 exploded diagram for the 2011 fairing. Everything for the audio system is self contained in the fairing including speakers, amp and controls. As far as I can see it looks like with the right parts the only thing you need is the power on a quick disconnect. The big question is can i add these parts to my stock fairing which from the initial scam looks very possible. The other question is can it be done at a somewhat reasonable cost (not likely). The part #'s are not in the system yet so I cannot get prices for them and I really need to compare the two diagrams in detail to see exactly which pieces I will need so I can get a total amount. More to come...

MikeV

Mike

Sounds like an interesting project.....good luck getting all the parts.

And on a side note...haven't run into you at OBI lately....hope you have been riding more exciting places.....

Mike

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 04:11:54 PM »

Mike,

I do the 5:30 am work call every day and drive to NYC. Not being a morning person this kills me and the only way I can get to OBI is way early as I need to get back in time for 10:30 church service (a good thing especially for bikers :-) ).  So the little extra sleep usually wins out however I plan to be there the next sunny Sunday. BTW now that the park is closed for the season has everyone moved back to Captree?

MikeV 

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 04:34:09 PM »

Mike,

I do the 5:30 am work call every day and drive to NYC. Not being a morning person this kills me and the only way I can get to OBI is way early as I need to get back in time for 10:30 church service (a good thing especially for bikers :-) ).  So the little extra sleep usually wins out however I plan to be there the next sunny Sunday. BTW now that the park is closed for the season has everyone moved back to Captree?

MikeV 

I usually don't do the early Sunday morning thing..I don't want to get stopped to get my helmet, exhaust, etc check for violations. I am there in the afternoons. I think Sunday morning was still happening as of last week, but I also know people are starting to migrate to Captree for coffee. Coffee truck was still at OBI last week as well. I will see if I can get out of bed on Sunday morning early enough to run in to you.....

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 02:22:09 PM »

Well I now have the exploded diagrams of the 2011 ConV fairing with the audio components and part numbers. So far they are not in Harley's catalog and I don't know if they are "CVO protected" parts but I am guessing that they are probably not as they are not "painted" or CVO branded parts which seem to be the most highly guarded. I am hoping that the inner fairing assembly along with the speakers and amp can be retrofit with the 2010 CVO fairing shell. That is not as much of a worry as what the cost will be ordering 21 individual components once I add up all the #'s. It will most likely not be worth it but it is an interesting exercise.

The other way is to hope someone gets tired of the buffeting and swaps the windshield for one that actually blocks the wind and would consider selling theirs. Not to unreasonable as there are a lot of 2010 ConV winshields sitting on a shelf never to see the road again. More to come as the quest continues...

MikeV

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 02:43:30 PM »

Well I now have the exploded diagrams of the 2011 ConV fairing with the audio components and part numbers. So far they are not in Harley's catalog and I don't know if they are "CVO protected" parts but I am guessing that they are probably not as they are not "painted" or CVO branded parts which seem to be the most highly guarded. I am hoping that the inner fairing assembly along with the speakers and amp can be retrofit with the 2010 CVO fairing shell. That is not as much of a worry as what the cost will be ordering 21 individual components once I add up all the #'s. It will most likely not be worth it but it is an interesting exercise.

The other way is to hope someone gets tired of the buffeting and swaps the windshield for one that actually blocks the wind and would consider selling theirs. Not to unreasonable as there are a lot of 2010 ConV winshields sitting on a shelf never to see the road again. More to come as the quest continues...

MikeV
MikeV,
Don't forget about my previous post on the Harley systems for handle bars or windshield.  May someone would sell you their 2011 stock setup???  Good luck and keep us posted.
RC
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

MikeV

• Senior CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 03:38:25 PM »

RC,

I remeber and have looked at them but I am pretty picky about keeping the bars clean as I love the lean look when she is in cruise mode. Even my GPS mount is a plastic quick release style that was meant to mount a Garmin on a mountain bike. it's basically a giant zip tie with a swivel ball mount. It works great and comes off as quick as the rest of the CVO parts with no evidence it was ever there.

http://www.amazon.com/IG-B01A-i-Trek-Mount-Garmin-265WT/dp/B001EUCWQK

So I am stuck trying to do the retrofit to the current windshield or trying to fab my own using parts from the generic HD offering.

MikeV

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 11:23:50 AM »

Here are some pics showing the parts we are talking about:  sorry about the poor quality of pics here, but my camera doesn't do so well in just room light.  Pork

porkypig

• The only "easy" day was yesterday........
  • Elite CVO Member
  • Badeah, badeah, b'dat's All, Folks!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »

another one.......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 24 queries.