Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New CB Antenna  (Read 2111 times)

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
New CB Antenna
« on: August 05, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »

Well, I juat got back from a nice 1,600 round trip from Chicago to Parry Sound, Ontario, through Port Huron on the way there, and around Sault Ste Marie and the UP on the way back. In preparation, I got in contact with the folks at FireStik, and they recommended removing the AM/FM antenna, and mounting a 4" Firefly attenna in place of the existing POS. To make it work, you have to buy a Sierra adaptor, but this set up made a huge difference! I actually found my AM/FM reception was about the same without the attenna, so I just fashioned a black cap and it looked fine with the one antenna.

The way there it was great actually being able to hear trucker miles ahead offering bear warnings, especially on Canada, where you can't run the Valentine 1. As I started head north from Toronto up the 400, there were less and less trucks and didn't notice much talk.  It wasn't until I made my stop in Barrie, that the antenna was gone and the antenna stud was broken off.   :-\

I think part of the reason why is that Sierra adaptor didn't thead all the way down so that the shoulders hit the base. At least it worked great while it lasted - Back to the drawing board...
2004 SE Deuce - Cobalt Blue
2006 SE Ultra Classic - Autumn Haze

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
Re: New CB Antenna
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »

Why can't you use the Valentine 1 in Canada?

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 12:03:04 PM »

Because radar detectors are illegal. Found out the hard way  a few years back that they use sniffers of some sort, when they confiscated a V1 and gave me a $300-something ticket to boot. That hurt alot!  However, while it's nice to know where the bears are, those crazy Cannucks drive so fast you don't need one anyway. Just tuck in behind them.  Most of the highway speed limits are 100kph which is around 60mph. However, that vast majority are running at least 70mph, some closer to 75 or 80. So it's real easy just to slide in behind and follow the crowd. With the 5-spd tranny, I like running around 70 anyway, so I was practically the slowest guy on the road!

rheiner

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 120r motor Black Diamond/Crimson Tag Graphics
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Riptide Blue/Titanium Dust
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 01:32:54 PM »

That's all good to know. Last Sept. I rode through parts of Ontario, New Brunswick & Nova Scotia and used my Valentine 1 the whole time. Guess I got lucky it wasn't sniffed.

mrmagloo

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 02:22:40 PM »

Very, very lucky~!  Now, I'm not sure if it's just Ontario, but I'd definitely check it out before risking it again!

BT

• Elite CVO Member
    • BC

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:50:01 AM »

Because radar detectors are illegal. Found out the hard way  a few years back that they use sniffers of some sort, when they confiscated a V1 and gave me a $300-something ticket to boot. That hurt alot!  However, while it's nice to know where the bears are, those crazy Cannucks drive so fast you don't need one anyway. Just tuck in behind them.  Most of the highway speed limits are 100kph which is around 60mph. However, that vast majority are running at least 70mph, some closer to 75 or 80. So it's real easy just to slide in behind and follow the crowd. With the 5-spd tranny, I like running around 70 anyway, so I was practically the slowest guy on the road!

Hey, I resemble that remark  ;) 

There was talk a few years back of raising the speed limit 10kph in BC on most roads and for roads with less than 600 cars per day to remove the posted limit and make it whatever is "reasonable and prudent" based on road conditions.  What could possible happen  :angel: :sneaky: :huepfenjump3: :rolleyes2: :evilgrin:   :helmet: :stop:

Radar Detectors are Illegal in: Newfoundland & Labrador, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, the Yukon Territory, the Northwest Territories:

Legal: Alberta, British Columbia, Saskatchewan

Regardless of whether they are used or not, police there may confiscate radar detectors, operational or not, and impose substantial fines in provinces where radar detectors are illegal.
West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (05)  Cripple Creek, CO (06) Nelson, BC (07) Sedona, AR (08) Hood River, OR (09) Pala, CA (10) Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Spokane, WA (12) Santa Fe, NM (13) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray, CO (15) Fortuna, CA (16) Victoria BC (23)

MITM
Eureka Springs (17)

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 24 queries.