Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: P1511 Trouble Code  (Read 45377 times)

steelhorse37886

P1511 Trouble Code
« on: August 13, 2010, 07:33:16 PM »

I'm having a problem with my 08 Ultra and can't figure it out. I've spoken to three different Harley Shops and they don't understand it either. Maybe you guys will know.... While riding my bike it all of a sudden went into limp mode and the engine light came on. Thinking maybe water had gotten into the ETC I air hosed it good and it straightened out. Riding a week later the same thing happened, then it happened again and again and again. I might make it 15 miles then it would happen again. Checking the troble codes I get P1511 and P2135. A little research tells me that P1511 is the problem. If I'm riding and it happens I can stop and clear the trouble codes then it will go 10 to 15 miles before it does it again. Seems it occurs mostly while riding in hot temps. When the temps outside are cooler it hasn't happened. OK, I'm open for suggestions. Any ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: P1511 Trouble Code
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 07:41:46 PM »

Doesn't initially specify exactly.  But if it helps narrow the search here's those codes:

P1511 EFI Power Management Mode
P2135 TPS Correlation Error

Herko

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 07:50:24 PM »

Disconnect and reconnect the connector at the Thr Body three to four times in a row.
Scrapes away the micro-corrosion on the pins. This seems to work to help cure the recurring limp mode woes.
Mgmt system has to be continually happy with the likes of balance (twist grip/TPS) voltage.
Seems this is a bit more common on the 08's.
Somewhere in 09 IIRC the TB p/n went to a 27685-08A whereas the 08's have a 27685-08.
Not exactly sure what the change was.

lonewolf55

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 09:24:36 PM »

I think this is what John's talking about.

steelhorse37886

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 01:08:52 AM »

Thanks, I'll try it first thing in the morning. I really appreciate it...

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 11:56:58 AM »

that's my suggestion too.

Had my pleasure with exactly your symptoms in May on our way to Greece. Called the dealer and just disconnecting and reconnecting this stupid connector solved the problem:

When home again, the pins got cleaned, polished an bathed in dielectric grease. Never had the problem since.
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

steelhorse37886

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 06:01:58 PM »

OK, I think we fixed the problem. What we found was kind of weird. I want to explain it just in case someone else has the same issue. First we check all of the connestions around the throttle body and they were clean, no corrosion, ect. Just in case and for future protection we coated the plugs with dielectric grease. Next is where we found what I believe to be the issue. We removed the front part of the fairing and found the fly by wire connector that comes from the throttle itself. We removed the assembly from the right side of the handle bars (switch cap, master cylinder, brake lever and handle grip). The purpose was to check all of the connections within the electronic throttle wiring. When we unplugged the lower connection water ran out of it. It seems that the protective cover around the wiring was placed in an upward position in a way that it would catch water. We pulled the throttle assembly out of the handle bar enough to reach the protective cover the took and air hose and blew air through the cover. We also blew the connectors dry and cleaned them, the lower connector that plugs in behind the fairing and the small 4 prong connector that is found within the handle bars. Dielectric grease was applied to all of the connectors. we also siliconed the ends of the protective cover as to not allow any water to get in it again. Everything was reassembled. I took of for a ride of about 30 miles and didn't have an issue. Going to take a longer ride tomorrow and see what happens. I hope this helps someone in the future if they have the same issue.

Also here's a hint... If you remove your outer fairing check and see if a corrugated plastic cover, approximately 1" in diameter on the right side, is laying across the steel fairing brace. If it is try to position it off of the brace. Over time viabration will cause the steel brace to wear thru the corrugated plastic and eventually the wiring thats found inside. Needless to say, if this happens, you will have an electrical short.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions...

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 06:37:29 PM »

oha - thx for the report. Will check that connector next thing as I happen to live in a rainy country  ;)
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

steelhorse37886

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »

Going to have to back up and punt.... It did it again twice today  :confused5:

steelhorse37886

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 06:40:52 PM »

OK, after a bunch of research hopefully I've narrowed the problem down to the actuator. Went to the Harley shop to get a new one and here's whats funny... They were out of them. They called another shop and they were out too. I said order one and when they check we learned they were on back order. Finally called another Harley shop and they had one, yea one. The part number for the new actuator had an A at the end. The part number for the original one didn't. So, what does this tell me... Looks like Harley has had a problem with the actuators in the 08's. The new one is in now so next in order is a road trip to see what happens. Hopefully this has fixed the problem.
Guys, this is scary... with no warning whatsoever you completely loose your throttle. Think about what could happen if you're merging into traffic on the interstate and all of a sudden no throttle. What about being somewhere like on the Dragon and as you're powering out of a curve you loose throttle. Even if it is fixed I'm still going to constantly worry about it happening again. I love my bike but I am absolutely no fan of the fly by wire throttle. This is almost like someone coming up with a plan to eliminate hydrolic brakes and developing some goofy electronic brake system. Hey, it might work, it might not. I believe throttle cables were a much safer system.

My opinion... FLY BY WIRE SUCKS!!!

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 12:30:47 AM »

actuator? Which P/N?
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 04:25:57 PM »

OK, after a bunch of research hopefully I've narrowed the problem down to the actuator. Went to the Harley shop to get a new one and here's whats funny... They were out of them. They called another shop and they were out too. I said order one and when they check we learned they were on back order. Finally called another Harley shop and they had one, yea one. The part number for the new actuator had an A at the end. The part number for the original one didn't. So, what does this tell me... Looks like Harley has had a problem with the actuators in the 08's. The new one is in now so next in order is a road trip to see what happens. Hopefully this has fixed the problem.
Guys, this is scary... with no warning whatsoever you completely loose your throttle. Think about what could happen if you're merging into traffic on the interstate and all of a sudden no throttle. What about being somewhere like on the Dragon and as you're powering out of a curve you loose throttle. Even if it is fixed I'm still going to constantly worry about it happening again. I love my bike but I am absolutely no fan of the fly by wire throttle. This is almost like someone coming up with a plan to eliminate hydrolic brakes and developing some goofy electronic brake system. Hey, it might work, it might not. I believe throttle cables were a much safer system.
My opinion... FLY BY WIRE SUCKS!!!

My suggestion would be that you don't ask too many questions about how various systems on your next car work, or you may become really upset.  Almost everything is electronic throttle these days, it's old hat.  Now you can get steer by wire, and brake by wire is already available too.  How do you think those Volvo's with the radar system can apply the brakes for you when you get too close to something or someone?

The electronic throttle idea doesn't suck, it's just the typical Harley half-assed version that sucks.  They have had problems with every single system they've borrowed from the automotive world so far, and I expect they will continue to do so.  There's a right way to do things, then there's the cheap Harley way.  After they kill a few folks, they'll come out with a fix.  Much easier than paying to do proper testing and engineering up front.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

mud man

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 silver
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:40:09 PM »

wow jerry we ALMOST FIT THE BILL TONIGHT on the way through a traffic circle of all places my 09 serg took a crap that sucked! was on the side of the road the wife and I for a while playing the flip the ignition game with traffic whizzing by inches away me cursing. now when you put it that way it really makes me angry! obviously they haven't fixed it yet will know more Tuesday when I go to the stealer's.
it ain't about getting to the grave in a perfectly preserved body it's about sliding in sideways saying  WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!

Markum

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Silver/Blue
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTP
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 09:38:40 AM »

When I had the P1511 code, the dealership replaced the induction module assembly. It only took 7 weeks to get the assembly. The bike runs great, good luck.
With the right tools, anything is possible.

mud man

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 silver
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 07:42:34 PM »

Yep turned out to be a 1511 trouble code also guess I'll be on the parts wait list too can't imagine my stealer having anything like that kicking around!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 07:47:06 PM by mud man »
it ain't about getting to the grave in a perfectly preserved body it's about sliding in sideways saying  WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 24 queries.