Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Very disappointed in the 2011 CVO Street Glide paint quality...  (Read 21516 times)

wiseasp

• Senior CVO Member
  • 1BAMF

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE6 RED
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 KRYPTONITE
Very disappointed in the 2011 CVO Street Glide paint quality...
« on: October 30, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »

Well I have a deposit on a Kryptonite and a Inferno Orange bike.  The Inferno Orange bike came in Thursday, so I went to go look at it yesterday.  Let me tell you, my 10 year old daughter could have painted the bike better.  All tins need to be replaced except the rear fender and the saddle bags.  The lowers were sprayed with too much clear coat and was dripping off the bottom, when they painted the pinstripe on the tank the gold dripped all over the black and then they left it and clear coated over it.  The bat wing fairing edges were not painted black or the orange part and HAIR HAIR HAIR all in the paint.  The dealer is going to contact Harley about this. 

Isn't this the first year the CVO's are not painted in a separate building?
2011 CVO FLHXSE2 Kryptonite DYNO 132.97 RWHP and 134.89 RWTQ, Woods CAM TW-9B, ported & polished heads, CFR 4" Black, V&H power duals Black, HPI 58MM Throttle Body, SE Injectors, Painted lids w/speakers, SE tuner

2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R SE Green Blaze Edition

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
Re: Very disappointed in the 2011 CVO Street Glide paint quality...
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 10:19:58 PM »

Well I have a deposit on a Kryptonite and a Inferno Orange bike.  The Inferno Orange bike came in Thursday, so I went to go look at it yesterday.  Let me tell you, my 10 year old daughter could have painted the bike better.  All tins need to be replaced except the rear fender and the saddle bags.  The lowers were sprayed with too much clear coat and was dripping off the bottom, when they painted the pinstripe on the tank the gold dripped all over the black and then they left it and clear coated over it.  The bat wing fairing edges were not painted black or the orange part and HAIR HAIR HAIR all in the paint.  The dealer is going to contact Harley about this. 

Isn't this the first year the CVO's are not painted in a separate building?

This is the first year the bikes are assembled on the regular assembly lines, but that doesn't mean they are painted in the regular paint operation.  In fact, I would doubt that anything has changed with regard to the painted part supplier, since the regular paint operation isn't set up for anything more ambitious than simple tutone paint jobs.

There have been many instances of really lousy paint on CVO's, and after the problems peaked in '06 they seemed to be getting better.  Unfortunately, better isn't the same as consistently good, as you found.  Quality Control isn't a high priority at H-D; they don't control quality, quality happens by accident when and if the stars are properly aligned and the gods feel generous.  Obviously the gods were taking the day off when the parts in question were painted, and the stars weren't aligned properly when the assembly plant accepted the poorly painted parts and installed them on the bike. 

I'd suggest that you insist the parts all be replaced before purchasing the bike, if you are still planning to purchase it.  Otherwise, you may find yourself even more unhappy when they feed you some BS about the paint meeting their standards, or they don't replace the parts on a timely basis, or they replace them with something just as bad or worse, or manage to damage something during all the replacements.  Read some of the threads on the major paint issues from 2006 in the CUSE boards. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

wiseasp

• Senior CVO Member
  • 1BAMF

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:55:49 PM »

You are exactly right. I did not buy it. I told them to contact HD and see what is going to happen first. He said that they might just try to fix the problems. I told him no way I wanted the parts replaced before I bought it. We will see what happens. I may just wait for the kryptonite one now. The dealer could not believe the paint job either. He brought out little round orange stickers to put next to the defects and soon we were tearing the stickers in half because we were running out of them.
2011 CVO FLHXSE2 Kryptonite DYNO 132.97 RWHP and 134.89 RWTQ, Woods CAM TW-9B, ported & polished heads, CFR 4" Black, V&H power duals Black, HPI 58MM Throttle Body, SE Injectors, Painted lids w/speakers, SE tuner

catz66

• Full CVO Member
    • MO

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG, 2010 SESG, 2013 SEUC
    • CVO2: 2016 RGUC RUBY & Silver
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 08:20:23 PM »

The paint on my 2010 SESG tank had dirt specks when I took delivery. I am now on my 3rd gas tank. This one is the best of the 3 but still not perfect.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »

I found a huge run in the clearcoat on the tank of my Black Diamond the minute I looked at when it arrived at the dealer. It looked like a fuel drip starting right at the filler and running all the way down the side of the tank. I told him I didn't want it. Lucky for me they had gotten 2 of the same bikes that day and I took the other one. 

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »

Any issues on the burnt orange and black????????

DavidG

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2
    • CVO2: 2007 FLHRSE3 **Sold**
    • CVO3: 2007 FXSTSSE **sold**
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 09:36:27 PM »

The paint on my Inferno Orange was almost perfect. There was a scratch in the paint around one of the windshield screws. It wasn't a paint defect just an assembly defect. They ordered a new fairing. The only thing i found that was chitty was that on the inside part of the saddlebags, they left it pretty raw. Paint strips overlapped etc. It was like they knew it would not show so they didn't bother. Otherwise it was very nice.
2011 FLHXSE2

RedDevil

• 5k CVO Member
  • EBCM #747.2 It's all good

• CVO1: '11 FLTRUSE Gray Ghost
    • CVO2: '12 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »

Read the first post.

:devil:

2012 FLHXSE3
Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock

wiseasp

• Senior CVO Member
  • 1BAMF

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 11:25:21 PM »

That is the one I am talking about.  Kryptonite has not come out yet...

Lucky88

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 SESG Spiced Rum
    • CVO2: 2011 SESG Kryptonite/Black Diamond
    • CVO3: 2011.5 SEUC Twilight Blue/Candy Cobalt
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 11:50:44 AM »

Due to the cutbacks at the MoCo, I wonder if quality has gotten from bad to worse.... :confused5:
2004 Honda RVT1000-(RC51) still in crate
2004 BMW K1200RS - Go anywhere bike
2006 BMW GS Adventure special edition -still in crate
2009 BMW HP2 Sport  #1-w/ABS- still in crate
2010 CVO SESG- Spiced Rum- wants to come out to play
2011 BMW HP2 Sport - Waiting for a Motorsport Edition-wishful thinking
2011 CVO SESG- Kryptonite- Finally arrived 2-21-11
2011.5 CVO Ultra Classic- Blue or Red? ...BLUE! arrived 3-28-11

trahog

• Elite CVO Member
  • Living life
    • FL

• CVO1: 2000 screaming eagle road glide
    • CVO2: 2005 screaming eagle v-rod 2009 cvo road Glide 2011cvo street glide
    • CVO3: 2015 cvo street glide
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 02:50:14 PM »

I've had the lowers replaced the cow bell,now the outer fairing and dash Dirt in the  paint ,missed paint and clear over it,and the swirl marks in the clear are unreal,I think they should fix all the problems in the Paint so far they are but should no left factory like this

kraut

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride & Have Fun

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
    • Harley Café Dresden
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2010, 05:03:00 PM »

... The only thing i found that was chitty was that on the inside part of the saddlebags, they left it pretty raw. Paint strips overlapped etc. It was like they knew it would not show so they didn't bother.

Harley invented a new rating system for warranting paint deficiencies lately. Category D applies to all defects hidden and with no effect to safety or durability - those parts will not be warranted at all. So they do not bother any more indeed
CU on the road, Hans

Ride & Have Fun

glenpick

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE2 Orange / Black
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2010, 05:54:15 PM »

Maybe they concentrated on ensuring all the Australian delivered bikes were of a better quality - I spent an hour alone with mine in dealership before pickup looking for any paint issues - I found a small chip on a panel under the batwing fairing that appeared to have been painted over - dealer will be replacing that panel with no issue - overall I feel the quality of the paint on mine is excellent.
Regards
Glen
"Be Thankful We're Not Getting All The Government We're Paying For"

FLHXSE2

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 BLK/OR
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2010, 07:27:02 PM »

OK. you guys are scaring the hell out of me :'( My bike is scheduled to be built this Thursday, Nov 4th (or that's what the stealer sez). I had to order from a dealer 200 miles away because the dealer 5 miles up the road wasn't sure he could get me a B&O bike. Bad paint, LED failures, throttle body problems, is this a good bike or not? Has anyone purchased a bike from one dealer and had to go to another for warranty? I purchased a few bikes from the local dealer and I know he isn't happy I went elsewhere for this one.

wiseasp

• Senior CVO Member
  • 1BAMF

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 07:51:55 PM »

The dealer called me today to tell me that he thinks Harley will just try to fix the problems not replace the parts. I told him to forget it. I went to another dealer an put a deposit on a 2011 cvo ultra that is coming in any day.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 24 queries.