Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Inspection sticker  (Read 15668 times)

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
Inspection sticker
« on: November 15, 2010, 01:33:51 PM »

Need some ideas.  Texas requires and inspection sticker on the bike, and currently the dealer has it mounted on a 90 degree bracket under the license plate.  It looks bad, and covers the top of the license plate light.  Anybody have a better place to mount it?

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
Re: Inspection sticker
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »

In Virginia the inspection sticker is supposed to be mounted on the left side of the bike so my dealer uses a polished stainless steel plate with an offset hole and mounts the plate on the bottom bolt on the front left brake. The plate goes down from the bolt. Not the prettiest but it complies with the law without messing up the bike.
I have seen the plate and sticker bolted in may places such as the bracket between the downtubes on a softail,or bolts on the side of the engine/transmission so kinda where sticker is visible but doesn't affect function of bike or interfere with riders.
Good luck.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »

Back when I lived in VA ('70's and 80's) the sticker had to be applied to the lower fork leg, and the method of removal for most state inspectors was the same one they used on car windshield stickers, the handy dandy razor blade.  Needless to say, didn't do good things for those nice anodized aluminum fork legs.  Back then we didn't have the alternative of mounting it to a removeable plate, it had to be mounted directly to the forks as spelled out in the manual.  Glad to see they've become more enlightened.

dep47, before we can give you our best ideas we will need to know exactly what the law allows in Texas.  Are you given optional locations for the sticker, or is there a specific location spelled out?

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 05:45:09 PM »

Not sure, but I have seen them on the left side, but not on an Ultra.  The back and side seem to be allowed.

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:40:30 PM »

In Virginia the inspection sticker is supposed to be mounted on the left side of the bike so my dealer uses a polished stainless steel plate with an offset hole and mounts the plate on the bottom bolt on the front left brake. The plate goes down from the bolt.
Good luck.

I do the same except I put mine on the right side, my DOD sticker goes on the left side. If a cop gives me a ticket for it being on the wrong side...........I'm going to court  :P
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

BillH

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FLTRI
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 11:09:15 PM »

This is how a lot of us do it in Austin, and both of the local dealers sell the plate.  I haven't heard of anyone being hassled about the placement at the annual inspection.  I personally have had it here on my last 2 Harleys with no issues.

FWIW

Bill
2008 FLTRI - 103, S&S 570 cams, SE cam plate, Ness Big Sucker, Woods lifters, GMR adjustable pushrods, Lozano Brothers heads, HPI 54mm throttle body mod, Supertrapp 2:1, SE compensator, BDL +1 clutch TTS tuner w/GMR Dyno, Ricor fork valves, Progressive 440's, Wild 1 515's bars, HID's, TrueTrack, J&M 71/2" speakers, Clearview +2, lots of other small stuff.

GC_Super

• Elite CVO Member
  • Great Ride!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 06:32:01 AM »

Need some ideas.  Texas requires and inspection sticker on the bike, and currently the dealer has it mounted on a 90 degree bracket under the license plate.  It looks bad, and covers the top of the license plate light.  Anybody have a better place to mount it?

Texas boy here also.  According the law it states that the inspection sticker and the license plate must be visible together.  I took mine ( 2006 CUSE ) and flipped it upside down, which puts it underneath the tour pack and although you or the POPO would have to get down on a knee to see it, the way the law is written, I would still be legal. Never been stopped or checked so I've never been challenged.
2006 SEUltra ordered, born on Feb 10, recieved Feb, 28, 2006

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:58:40 AM »

Great idea GC, I will see if I can do the same and see what happens.  Thanks  again, I knew someone else had to have come up with a simple solution to this situation.

Dracula

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:22:02 AM »

I've had mine here for almost two years.  No problem so far, but I also have not been pulled over.  As long as it is current ???????

:vampire:

jcraig147

• Full CVO Member
  • Batmobike 757 of 999

• CVO1: 2010 SEUC-BLK
    • CVO2: 2004 Fatboy
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 07:52:44 PM »

I do the same except I put mine on the right side, my DOD sticker goes on the left side. If a cop gives me a ticket for it being on the wrong side...........I'm going to court  :P

Where did you get your plate to mount the DOD sticker

Joe
Fullsac Stage 1, 2 in Cores, TTS Tuner

DICKW

• 1K CVO Member
  • If you ain't Riding..You ain't living
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2010, 04:23:00 AM »

Where did you get your plate to mount the DOD sticker

Joe

Our dealership carries them HRHD (most likely because they are 6 miles away from an Army base).
2009 Screaming Eagle Electra Glide Ultra Classic, Hawg Wired, KW 10.5, 2" Pull Back Handlebars, Dakota Digital, V&H Power Dual w/ Monster Ovals (Black Tips),
SE Air Cleaner, Zippers 575 Cams, Zippers Adjustable Push-rods, Fueling Lifters,
Thunder-Max Auto Tune, SE Compensator, Legend Air Suspension.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »

This is where I have my inspection sticker on my dresser.  It's out of the way.  They make some nice chrome plates too, but I just never seem to think about switching it out at inspection time.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 11:35:20 AM »

After looking through various bits of Texas information, the best I can determine is that they are the exact opposite of the Federal folks, who use 100 pages to tell a manufacturer what color the turn signals have to be.  Texas doesn't seem to spell out the sticker location other than it must be visible from the rear.  So I would guess that the examples mounted at the front frame cross brace or on the sides wouldn't exactly meet the intent or the letter of the law.  Probably not a big deal unless you manage to PO a member of law enforcement enough that he starts looking for more stuff to add to the ticket.

Here's an idea.  Convert the stock license plate bracket (above the taillight) to the style used on the SEEG's (below the t/light), then use one of those plates that mount behind the license plate and have a tab that sticks out to mount the sticker.  Orient the plate so the tab sticks out the bottom, and the sticker will be directly below the license plate and will definitely comply with the law.  J&P, Drag Specialties, etc. have these plates in their catalogs.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

1abastarsmda

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 11:51:18 AM »

After looking through various bits of Texas information, the best I can determine is that they are the exact opposite of the Federal folks, who use 100 pages to tell a manufacturer what color the turn signals have to be.  Texas doesn't seem to spell out the sticker location other than it must be visible from the rear.  So I would guess that the examples mounted at the front frame cross brace or on the sides wouldn't exactly meet the intent or the letter of the law.  Probably not a big deal unless you manage to PO a member of law enforcement enough that he starts looking for more stuff to add to the ticket.

Here's an idea.  Convert the stock license plate bracket (above the taillight) to the style used on the SEEG's (below the t/light), then use one of those plates that mount behind the license plate and have a tab that sticks out to mount the sticker.  Orient the plate so the tab sticks out the bottom, and the sticker will be directly below the license plate and will definitely comply with the law.  J&P, Drag Specialties, etc. have these plates in their catalogs.

Jerry

This looks to be the pertinent section of Texas law:

TRC 548.255
ATTACHMENT OR PRODUCTION OF INSPECTION CERTIFICATE.

(a) An inspection certificate shall be attached to or produced for a vehicle in the manner required by department rule.

(b) The department shall:

(1) require that a certificate for a motorcycle be attached to the rear of the motorcycle near the license plate; and

(2) adopt rules with respect to display of an inspection certificate for a moped.

With that being said, I wonder if you could get away with the setup I have on my Vrod...it's certainly near the license plate even though it's not facing the rear.  This wouldn't work on a bagger though.

Dracula

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 02:41:42 PM »

So here is where the dealer put it when they prepped my SERG for me to pick it up.

Not sure if covering part of the tail light/trun signal/brake light conforms to the law or not...but it sure did look stupid!

:vampire:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 24 queries.