Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Extended Zoom or "Bridge Digital Camera" Questions?  (Read 766 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Extended Zoom or "Bridge Digital Camera" Questions?
« on: December 29, 2010, 04:11:59 PM »

I'm investigating the purchase of a new digital camera to upgrade my point and shoot Sony Sureshot and my old Canon
AE1 Program 35mm camera.  My little Sony at 7.2mp does okay, but does not do enough.

I started to look at the new Sony Nex 3 or 5 series camera with a 18-55mm lens.  The new Nex cameras are Four Third cameras and are a digital DSLR camera with replaceable lens.  They do the whole thing without the mirror so the body is only about 1.2" thick.  But with the lens having the zoom portion of the camera, 18-55 just isn't a lot of zoom even with additional lens.

I've been looking at the new "bridge" cameras that are more than a point and shoot, but are NOT a DSLR camera.  Most also have at minimum a 15x zoom and one has a 35x optical zoom.  Most of the bridge extended zoom cameras take a true 720p video as good or better than most camcorders.

So, does anyone here have any experience in this type of camera?

All input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
Re: Extended Zoom or "Bridge Digital Camera" Questions?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 05:29:32 PM »

Dan, I never used a "bridge camera". I do love my Nikon D80. You may want to check the product reviews from www.cnet.com. I saw pros and cons on the Sony Nex5 you ask about. From the prices of bridge cameras would you not do just as well by getting a full size DSLR like a Nikon D80 or if I bought another today I would get a D90. I think you would get more camera and versatility for a little more money. If you are against a full size, Nikon has the Coolpix P90 listed as a bridge camera. Don't get me wrong I think Sony has good cameras also. What is your reason that you want a bridge camera? Size, money, etc. The only advantage I see for a bridge camera is the smaller size. I had a old Minolta SRT202 35mm film camera that I was unable to give away. So I just went full size DSLR. Sometimes I do get tired of packing and carrying it around but I'm always happy with the photos when I get home. I hope this helps, I know this is kind of and old post.   
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 01:01:35 PM »

Dan, I never used a "bridge camera". I do love my Nikon D80. You may want to check the product reviews from www.cnet.com. I saw pros and cons on the Sony Nex5 you ask about. From the prices of bridge cameras would you not do just as well by getting a full size DSLR like a Nikon D80 or if I bought another today I would get a D90. I think you would get more camera and versatility for a little more money. If you are against a full size, Nikon has the Coolpix P90 listed as a bridge camera. Don't get me wrong I think Sony has good cameras also. What is your reason that you want a bridge camera? Size, money, etc. The only advantage I see for a bridge camera is the smaller size. I had a old Minolta SRT202 35mm film camera that I was unable to give away. So I just went full size DSLR. Sometimes I do get tired of packing and carrying it around but I'm always happy with the photos when I get home. I hope this helps, I know this is kind of and old post.   

Thanks for your report.  Yes, the Nikon DSLR's are great, but after years of carrying around an extra lens or two with my Canon AE1-Program, the thought of this again with a DSLR makes me think twice.

I did play with the Sony NEX-5 and I like it a lot, but again, only the one short focal length lens and they are heavy when they are the telephoto zoom type.

I ended up buying a Panasonic FZ100 extended zoom camera over the holidays.  It's a 24x zoom with an additional 4x digital.  It does video in 720p or 1080i, saves pictures as JPEG or JPEG / RAW for more editing control.

I have a 32 gig class 6 chip and also a 4 gig class 2 chip.  The speed of this camera is amazing and the write time for both chips is great.  The point and shoot function in iA mode is very quick, just look at the subject and press the shutter button and you’ve got the picture.  Even in dark settings, like our New Years Eve outing, was great, although cameras are not the best with lots of video functions, especially in low light.  Out in the sun light the video is very good and maintains the stabilization built into the camera.

It has a 3” articulating LCD that makes overhead and down low shots a lot easier to compose.  The camera is a 14.1 mp camera in 4:3 and goes down to 12.5 in 3:2 aspect ratio.

There is also a panoramic assist setup that lets you take a picture, move to the right and then line up the ghost picture over the new shot and then snap.  This can go from left to right, right to left or down up or up down.  It works very well on the couple I’ve tried so far.

The Panasonic is also a full manual with all the normal speeds and aperture settings one might expect.  I did a couple 8 second exposures and they did quite well for me.

The FZ100 has a good heft feel to it and does not feel overly plastic.  It has a hot shoe for additional synchronized flash when needed.  It has a stereo mic for video recordings and burst mode both mechanical shutter and electronic shutter at up to 60 fps, although the per picture resolution drops considerably.  It does the 11 fps at full resolution for those sports shots.  It also lets you pre-focus so you can do running shots or even auto focus tracking for following a car or runner when taking a moving shot.

All in all so far, I’m happy with this Panasonic FZ100 and I think carrying this in my saddlebag without a lot of extra lenses will be a lot of fun with the optical 24x zoom on this thing. 
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2011, 01:41:37 PM »

Hey Dan, 

I'm no expert and studied the reviews at Cnet.com for months before a trip to Alaska last year.  I finally went with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1K.   I recommend you check out the reviews of it.  Like you, I did not want to find myself having to carry extra lenses.  The GH1 ships with the Lumix G Vario HD f4-5.8 14-140mm lens.  Since it is a Micro 4/3ds camera, that is equivilent to an 18 - 280 film lens.  You can shoot anything with it and it's smaller than a traditional SLR because it lacks the mirror.  Like the review says, pricey but well worth it. 

Here is a shot I got of an Orca from a float plane, at least a couple of hundred feet away: 

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2011, 05:41:17 PM »

Hey Dan, 

I'm no expert and studied the reviews at Cnet.com for months before a trip to Alaska last year.  I finally went with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1K.   I recommend you check out the reviews of it.  Like you, I did not want to find myself having to carry extra lenses.  The GH1 ships with the Lumix G Vario HD f4-5.8 14-140mm lens.  Since it is a Micro 4/3ds camera, that is equivilent to an 18 - 280 film lens.  You can shoot anything with it and it's smaller than a traditional SLR because it lacks the mirror.  Like the review says, pricey but well worth it. 

Here is a shot I got of an Orca from a float plane, at least a couple of hundred feet away: 

At a quick glance that looked like a submarine...not drinking yet, may need to start.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Sklywag

• 1K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 09 Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: 06 CVO Ultra - Sold
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2011, 06:18:36 PM »

I have been using the Kodak professional series for a number of years, they have gotten even more reasonable in price, I love them.

Check this out
The 26X SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH VARIOGON Optical Zoom Lens (35 mm equivalent: 26–676 mm) zooms in even faster and closer to deliver crisp, steady shots for extraordinary creative performance

Fast (f/2.8–f/5.0) 26 mm wide-angle lens.  14mp
http://store.kodak.com/store/ekconsus/en_US/pd/Z981_Digital_Camera/productID.169236500

Bill (Sklywag)
  There are too many roads for one lifetime...

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 24 queries.