Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Note to self...  (Read 883 times)

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
Note to self...
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:29:45 PM »

Note to self...

The Harley Oil Temp Gauge (75320-05A) faceplate is prone to popping off.  Take care while installing the gauge so when the glass plate comes off you don't drop it causing it to shatter.   :oops: too late.   :soapbox:

Note the air temp gauge is constructed better then oil temp gauge.  Glass can be removed from air temp gauge but takes time due to better construction.  Glass face plate in air temp gauge is about 1/16 of an inch smaller then oil temp gauge.  The glass can be forced to fit the oil temp gauge but may leak during wet periods.

Broken parts cost:  $0.99

Total cost to note installation cautions:  
Oil Temp Gauge (75320-05A)  $139.99
Air Temp Gauge (74715-09)      $49.95

Value of lesson learned, priceless.

See HarleyCharlie1992's note about using the air temp gauge bracket instead of the one included in the kit to prevent this from happening again:
CVO Dash Oil Temperature Gage question

« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 02:11:54 PM by charles05663 »
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

aclass

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
Re: Note to self...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 02:36:30 PM »

I'm glad to hear someone else had the same situation, it helps heal the pride a bit.
I tried taking apart my air temp gauge to steal the glass but the construction was different between the two gauges and it wouldnt work. Ended up going to a Mennonite who cuts glass and he made a piece for my gauge. The fix was perfect but the only time you can tell the difference is at night, the glass was a tad thicker and the gasket blocks all the red light from coming around the gauge. The fellow charged me $5 for his work.
When mine popped off, it shot like a cannon across the garage and shattered when it hit.

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 02:41:57 PM »

I love hearing, in a sick sort of way, that others screw up their little projects just like I do!

charles05663

• 1K CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 - Petunia
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »

Ended up going to a Mennonite who cuts glass and he made a piece for my gauge. The fix was perfect but the only time you can tell the difference is at night, the glass was a tad thicker and the gasket blocks all the red light from coming around the gauge. The fellow charged me $5 for his work.

I wish I knew someone who could do this.  I ended up calling Jenni and it cost me $500 to replace the gauge (I ordered a bunch of other stuff I am sure I don't need at this time).  BTW, Jenni is great to work with.  My first time calling and the total length of call was less then 4 minutes.
And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

http://www.thefishermenministry.net/

Q:  What is the USA's number one export to China?
A:  Trash!  They loved our high quality trash. (not any longer).

Stolen technology and Jobs!

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 25 queries.