Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: How about disappearing neutral light?  (Read 1936 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
How about disappearing neutral light?
« on: May 17, 2006, 10:55:44 AM »

I don't have any problem finding neutral, but when the bike gets real hot (fuel managment active) and riding in stop and go traffic, the light stops working.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
Re: How about disappearing neutral light?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 11:42:26 AM »

I don't have any problem finding neutral, but when the bike gets real hot (fuel managment active) and riding in stop and go traffic, the light stops working.
Hey, mine does the same thing.. :(....glad to know it's got good company in this quirky manuver.  har!  :D spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

DAMD

• Have a good time and go deeper in debt!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 01:14:52 PM »

Yep, same issue....happens when the bike is very hot.  It has always gone away after things cool down and hasn't happened yet this spring.  Damned if I can figure it out. Happened multiple times last fall.  Hoping it doesn't happen again.

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 02:32:06 PM »

Maybe it's Harley's way of saying if your engine is hot you need to be moving? [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
It's the new overheat protection plan...you can't be in neutral if you can't find it! [smiley=huepfenlol2.gif]

I haven't had that problem yet just once and awhile it's hard to shift into if I don't keep the revs up some.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 04:30:01 PM »

Yep, same issue....happens when the bike is very hot.  It has always gone away after things cool down and hasn't happened yet this spring.  Damned if I can figure it out. Happened multiple times last fall.  Hoping it doesn't happen again.

Me too, not hot, just doesn´t come on sometime.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 09:02:08 PM »

Mine STAYS HOT  :o so I don't know if that is a factor in mine not coming on or not?????  [smiley=nixweiss.gif] spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 09:24:08 PM »

I've had this happen a couple times on the SEEG, and quite often on my previous bike as well.  Slightly "wiggling" the shift lever would normally get the light to come on.  This can usually be traced to the neutral switch. The neutral switch is a simple spring-loaded plunger switch mounted on the trans top cover, with a ball end that rides on the shift drum.  The plunger can bind in the switch housing, and any misalignment between the switch and the depression in the drum it drops into aggravates the condition.  

The switch is easy to get to, so you could remove it and check for any binding of the plunger, or poor wiring connections / high resistance.  BTW, the switch completes the ground for the indicator light circuit.  

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 09:29:20 PM »

I've had this happen a couple times on the SEEG, and quite often on my previous bike as well.  Slightly "wiggling" the shift lever would normally get the light to come on.  This can usually be traced to the neutral switch. The neutral switch is a simple spring-loaded plunger switch mounted on the trans top cover, with a ball end that rides on the shift drum.  The plunger can bind in the switch housing, and any misalignment between the switch and the depression in the drum it drops into aggravates the condition.  

The switch is easy to get to, so you could remove it and check for any binding of the plunger, or poor wiring connections / high resistance.  BTW, the switch completes the ground for the indicator light circuit.  

Jerry
hey Jerry, you reckon putting a chrome cover over that switch could mis-align it????   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]spyder

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 09:59:50 PM »

hey Jerry, [highlight]you reckon putting a chrome cover over that switch could mis-align it[/highlight]????   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]spyder
spyder,

That looks like a question for our resident chrome expert - Fired00d, what do you think?  ;)

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 10:14:51 PM »

spyder,

That looks like a question for our resident chrome expert - Fired00d, what do you think?  ;)

Jerry
d00d is down South at the Beach as we speak.  [smiley=pumpkin.gif] Saw him in NC on the way down Tue... 8-)..har!  spyder

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 10:20:03 PM »

Well guys, I don't know if this is gonna help, but when wifey gets hot she ain't got no neutral either !

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 10:27:22 PM »

Well guys, I don't know if this is gonna help, but when wifey gets hot she ain't got no neutral either !
Hey BB, it helped me!  Now I understand the whole deal mo-better. :o  Har!  spyder

Garznhogs

• Elite CVO Member
  • $$$ heals all

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 10:45:21 PM »

[highlight]Mine STAYS HOT so I don't know if that is a factor in mine not coming on or not?????   spyder

Hey, mine does the same thing.. :(....glad to know it's got good company in this quirky manuver.  har!

It has always gone away after things cool down and hasn't happened yet this spring.  Happened multiple times last fall.  Hoping it doesn't happen again.

Well guys, I don't know if this is gonna help, but when wifey gets hot she ain't got no neutral either ![/highlight]

[smiley=worthless.gif]

Garz   ;D ;D ;D  [smiley=smoking.gif]
Ness Big Sucker, SuperTrapp 2:1, SERT, Dyno by Cycle-Rama = 107 hp, 108.5 tq. And that's all I need. Oh, wait... a working radio would be nice.

TheVgirl

• 1K CVO Member
  • Hold on bro! Life is one heckuva ride.

• CVO1: 2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE2 Sunrise Yellow Pearl and Stingray Silver sold
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 11:13:14 PM »

d00d is down South at the Beach as we speak.  [smiley=pumpkin.gif] Saw him in NC on the way down Tue... 8-)..har!  spyder

Is d00d in Myrtle Beach?  Wonder if he'll be checking the site while there???????

d00d, you gonna still be in MB this weekend?  Maybe heading back your way late Thursday or early Friday.  If not, will be heading to Charleston to go sailing Memorial Day w/e.  Still be around then??  Nothing better than fresh seafood and cold beer while propped up on the deck UNLESS it's after riding all day to get there!  
~TheVgirl~  2005 VRSCSE Two-tone Electric Orange and Black

"The shortest distance between two points is a straight line, but on a motorcycle you want to take the longest way to get there."  - Jerry "Motorman" Palladino

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 11:22:46 PM »

spyder,

Jerry
Hmm, can't say as I know about this, I haven't experienced this that I know of. I'll have to be on the look out in the future. As for adding the chrome cover.... If it wasn't already there from factory I haven't added chrome to this. But now that you mention this I will have to investigate.  ;D

Yep, I'm down in NC enjoying myself and riding all over the state. Went to Jacksonville (Home of Camp Lejeune Oooh Rah!!!), and then went to Kinston today. Thought about you Spyder when I was in Kinston as I saw a sign saying I was only 27+/- miles away from Goldsboro. Really enjoying the back roads here, only thing I'm not used to all the sand being kicked up, but that's the benefits of being near the water. :) Not sure where I'll be riding to tomorrow, but definitely will be in Myrtle on Friday.

[smiley=pumpkin.gif]
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 [smiley=fireman.gif]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 11:25:02 PM by flhtcse2004 »
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 20 queries.