Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Locks not working  (Read 4026 times)

Devil Dog

• Junior CVO Member
Locks not working
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:50:30 PM »

I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I just found that my locks aren't working. Tried the fob, nothing. Tried the button on the dash, nothing. Checked the fuse with an ohm meter and it's fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Like I said, I'm going on a trip tomowwor and need to lock things up. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou
Lou
USMC 77-81
"In GOD We Trust"

John53052

• CVO1: 2011 FLHTCUSE
Re: Locks not working
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:18:07 PM »

Had the same thing happen and HD found the wiring under the fairing had been pinched.

cahdbiker

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 12:41:17 AM »

Devildog, I never had mine stop working, but I would definitely lubricate all the locks and use your key to rotate them back and forth until they move smoothly( mine were probably never lubed at the factory because they were very difficult to turn manually, saddlebags, tourpak, ignition, from day one) Sprayed some penetrating oil into all locks and rotated them manally. Big difference. It sounds like you have an electrial problem but maybe if they are all hard to turn they are making some sort of resistance electrically. Just a shot in the dark but it is worth a try. Worse case you can always use your key. I hope you get if fixed before you leave for your trip. CAHDBIKER

2009 SEUC just south of Point Mugu Ventura County, Ca.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
Locks not working
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 02:45:31 AM »

I'm going on a trip tomorrow and I just found that my locks aren't working. Tried the fob, nothing. Tried the button on the dash, nothing. Checked the fuse with an ohm meter and it's fine. Has anyone else had this problem? Like I said, I'm going on a trip tomowwor and need to lock things up. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou

I just had this happen and it turned out to be shorted wires for the left side saddlebag. The dealer never clipped the connector back onto the fender and the wiring became exposed to my rear tire which rubbed through the shielding and caused the copper to ground out against each other. In addition, I found my rear air suspension line to be ruined by the same exposure to the moving tire. It was covered under warranty but I was still irritated with the sloppy work by my dealer.

Devil Dog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 03:41:20 AM »

I'l check my saddle bag connections when I get home this afternoon, I did have them off recently for cleaning.

Thanks
Lou
Lou
USMC 77-81
"In GOD We Trust"

CVOThunder

• Retired avionics squid 1984-2004
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 04:30:03 AM »

I just had this happen and it turned out to be shorted wires for the left side saddlebag. The dealer never clipped the connector back onto the fender and the wiring became exposed to my rear tire which rubbed through the shielding and caused the copper to ground out against each other. In addition, I found my rear air suspension line to be ruined by the same exposure to the moving tire. It was covered under warranty but I was still irritated with the sloppy work by my dealer.

Mines in the shop for the same thing except it completely seperated the wiring. A couple of times the locks wouldn't function and I got to thinking it was a bad remote battery. After seeing the damage while cleaning I'm thinking it might have shorted out the system. Then there's the rear head oil leak. After riding GoldWings since 92 and stepping to a HD this summer, sometimes I'm second guessing my decision. The CVO is a blast to ride but we shouldn't be having problems like this for the money we spend.
2020 Road Glide Limited, 131" kit
2007 Softail Custom
2015 Road Glide Special, denim traded
2011.5 Big Blue Screamin’ Eagle Ultra Classic traded

Devil Dog

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 05:21:53 AM »

Copout, that was exactly it.Took off the left saddle bag and found it. I butt spliced them back together for the trip and they worked fin, now that I'm back, I'll make a more permanent connection.

Thanks
Lou
Lou
USMC 77-81
"In GOD We Trust"

dep47

• Full CVO Member
  • What a color
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 08:59:02 AM »

Had the same problem with mine.  Dealer changed the tire, and did not clip the wire in place.  It rubbed through the insulation. 

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 10:25:29 AM »

I always remove my saddlebags before my bike goes to the dealer.  Rather have them safe in my garage and I can insure that everything is re-installed correctly.

While cleaning my '11 ruse the other day I noticed that the wire going to the ABS sensor to the front wheel was hanging down.  Discovered that the connector is supposed to be attached to a clip on the fairing cap and it was not.  Also the three plastic clips that attach the wire to the brake line were all pushed down near the caliper vs being spaced out.  Had the bike in for a pulsing problem with the brakes.  Got it addressed but I guess they must have disconnected the wire and not properly secured it after reconnecting it.

Things like this are why I cringe whenever I do have to take my bike in for repair.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

Anthem Rider

• Once you get on a Harley, you'll never get off it
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 11:23:17 PM »

My Right Saddle bag does not lock. Still have not figured out what the cause is...but this is some good info.

Any other possible causes - especially for just one side?
2008 CVO Screaming Eagle Ultra Classic Electra Glide

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 09:04:09 AM »

I think if I had electrical wiring going to the saddlebags I'd rig up a much better solution than the one Harley did.  The bike harness needs to be fully enclosed and attached to the fender just like the rest of the wiring, and lead to an easily accessible plug solidly mounted to the fender or bracketry that doesn't get moved during normal maintenance or bag removal.  Simple short lead from the bag to the plug, and you're done.  Think of how a trailer is wired to a properly equipped tow vehicle as an example.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Anthem Rider

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:35:50 PM »

So I checked my Bag and found that the wires had pulled out from the Plug connector. I took the plug connector apart and the the Terminal Sockets will both need to be replaced (Where the wire plugs in).  :-\

Does anyone know of some local stores, like Radio Shack, Fry's Electronics, etc, sell the Terminal Sockets? Looks like the Plug Connector takes a Size 20 Terminal Socket.

I know I can order them online, but would rather pick up locally for such a small amount.

Anthem Rider

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 09:48:40 PM »

So I checked my Bag and found that the wires had pulled out from the Plug connector. I took the plug connector apart and the the Terminal Sockets will both need to be replaced (Where the wire plugs in).  :-\

Does anyone know of some local stores, like Radio Shack, Fry's Electronics, etc, sell the Terminal Sockets? Looks like the Plug Connector takes a Size 20 Terminal Socket.

I know I can order them online, but would rather pick up locally for such a small amount.
Picked them up from my local HD store for $0.48. Couldn't find them at any of the Auto/Electronic stores. Could have saved a whopping $0.15 if I ordered them online...not worth the hassle and wait.

First thing I ever bought at the HD store that did not cost me less than $40.  :D

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 01:31:07 AM »

Can we all spell lack of quality control and basic design for reliability ? Just saying. :nixweiss:
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

copout221

• Still Shopping !
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5
    • Taillight Solutions
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 01:46:27 AM »

Copout, that was exactly it.Took off the left saddle bag and found it. I butt spliced them back together for the trip and they worked fin, now that I'm back, I'll make a more permanent connection.

Thanks
Lou

Glad you figured it out. I know it's a simple fix (for us owners) but what a horse s**t design IMO. Almost as bad as two huge fobs for security and remote locks rather than incorporating them into ONE (YES ONE) fob that can be easily carried in your pocket.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.878 seconds with 24 queries.