Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Fairing alternative  (Read 3145 times)

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey, why not enjoy the ride?
Fairing alternative
« on: June 08, 2006, 08:27:21 PM »

Anyone have experience with this version of the RK fairing ?

Looks like one approach where you don't lose the tach and maybe room for gauges as well. Lists for $698.00, and of course will need paint and radio, etc. But, this may be a decent alternative to Hoppe, etc.
http://www.thegaragefather.com/Index.aspx?page=Products/Display&pn=16AE5ACE-20E4-458D-807E-698C37A08944
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 08:31:41 PM by CVOJOE »
2003 FLHRSEI2. (Sold) :(

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Fairing alternative
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 08:29:23 PM »

From the rear:

Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall.Torque is how far you will take the wall with you.

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 08:30:13 PM »

And in Barney Purple. Notice the reptile on the ride side  :):
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 08:01:04 PM by CVOJOE »

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 08:30:56 PM »

Barney purple rear view:

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 08:45:06 PM »

Hey Joe
             That is a nice looking alteranative. I got a couple of bros who like the pics of Elvis, but are looking to watch the budget. I wonder why this one is so much cheaper than the Dragonfly and the Hoppe ?

I just bought the upgraded chrome faced speakers and the chrome head bezel for my Hoppe    LOL  OCD strikes  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006, 08:47:14 PM by SPIDERMAN »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 09:42:18 PM »

i'm not sure the tach would work with that, looks like barney opted for the combo in the tank panel
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 09:43:41 PM »

from their site

Just cut out the filler panel around your tach.
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 01:56:52 AM »

Yes, now I recall seeing that note on the panel. Maybe that can be requested when ordering if you want to retain the stock tach setup, and if done before painting it may be OK. I'd like to see one of these in person, I think they're in the Atlanta area somewhere. I'm going to at least call them see if they ever exibit at bike shows, and get some more information, mabye some specs...and of course will post them here.  Too many OCD options!  [smiley=nixweiss.gif]
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006, 02:00:54 AM by CVOJOE »

EZRIDN

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG - Paying tribute to an American legend
    • NE

• CVO1: FLHRSEI2
    • CVO2: 1947 FL
    • CVO3: 2004 FXSTI
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 10:32:03 AM »

Thanks for posting Joe.

I like the looks of this piece.  I noticed from their site that they said they laid it back a little... [highlight]"We styled our fairing after the FLHT™ fixed fairing, but angled it back more for a sleeker hot rod look."[/highlight]  

I wonder if that eliminates or creates some buffeting issues at speed?

Also is this fiberglass or ?  I'd be interested in knowing the approx. weight.

I may give them a call here today or early next week for more info.

"My goal is to become that old person everyone is afraid to take out in public."

"I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended...please be patient...I will get to you shortly ."

HD Owners Tip #39:  "Although the manual doesn't mention it, some swearing seems to help most machines run a little better."

Michael

• Michael's Stable
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 FLTRXSE BLACK & BLUE
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 11:56:46 AM »

I put this fairing on my buddy's bike last year.

Hoppe Industries.
2012 FLTRXSE B&B
2010 Haulmark VHauler
2007 Shelby Mustang GT

Michael

• Michael's Stable
  • Full CVO Member
  • 2012 FLTRXSE BLACK & BLUE
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 11:57:58 AM »

Here is the inner.

I mounted and wired the stock tachometer to a quick diconnect under the fairing.
2012 FLTRXSE B&B
2010 Haulmark VHauler
2007 Shelby Mustang GT

cuthbertss

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • red bikes..lots o red bikes

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2 (Red!)
    • CVO2: 2001 FXDWG2 ( way red!)
    • CVO3: 2005 Ford F350 HD True Blue Metallic
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006, 01:03:23 PM »

This is kinda amusing.....  I started down the road by buying a Hoppe Fairing for my RK Classic...
decided the cost would be off the chart by the time i got it painted etc etc....  looked at the FLHX...  ddint like the Stealer mark-up ..... ended up selling my kids and buying the SEEG.... i liked the fit and quality on the Hoppe..... but really wanted the hand controls...  fumbling with a small remote while riding didnt make sense to me...  so, instead of 2 grand i spent 30-ish
cool!

Nasty Habit

• Full CVO Member
  • Starting Dec. 22nd, you can say Summer's Comming
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006, 08:57:14 PM »

I looked into as many Fairings as I could before I did mine. I used Dragonfly's, and really loved the fact that there is a lot of room to add options. I used a new Tach/Speedo comnbination, as I hated the extra notch DF did to accomodate the stock tach (actually sold it off ebay to a guy in Milwaukee for $350.00, which paid for the new Tach/Speedo).  I have two power outlets (1 for Cig/ 1 for x-tra); Radar & Laser blockers; 30 W x 4 ch. audio w/ XM satellite; Vibe rider; three sets of lights switched; power for heated gloves; power for Fog Ligghts; Formotion clock and thermomoter;power and audion feed to the receiver for an I-pod;etc, etc, etc.
Hey CVO Joe, I thought you saw my bike; guess not. I have a ton of pictures. If anybody needs any help, ask away, as I already made most of the mistakes,  [smiley=huepfenjump3.gif]  and you can benefit from my mistakes. There are a ton of pictures too, and a few on my home page here at this web-site. I absolutely love the "Elvis" version too. The DF optional graphics came already painted and was worth every cent I paid ($700.00). I even got a nice pin-striping job on the inner side ($125.00), although it takes space for all the gadjets. If we ever have a contest, I'll enter the Rat Bike Catagory. It was a bit expensive ($849.00), but when you have no money, money is no issue! Hah! I got the Fairing painted both sides with striping on the inner portion; and the lower set of the vented parts too ($755.00), including freight ($90.00) for a grand total of $2,797.00. This included the windshield and chrome molding ($49.00), cigarette lighter ($29.00), and two speaker pods ($200.00). The nicer fact of their fairing and pods is that they take a 6-1/2" speaker, not the 5-1/2" (I think they are), like stock H-D. It is all fiberglass, and really doesn't weigh much. I don't know for sure, but it feels like about 10 pounds. I ran two circuts up inside the Fairing to power everything. 1 circut is filtered, and 1 is not. I did all this last Spring after having a total knee replacement. It was my therapy. Dragonfly make theirs as a removable version, so it has very little provision to do all the stuff I did. I made mine a more permanent installation. I don't oplan on going somewheer and removing it. All I had to do was to ensure that I could access the fork tops to change the fluid. I am pretty mechanical, and good with electronics, so I had a blast doing it. Sound is decent. Above 65, it fads off into the sweet and mellow rumble that my engine produces. It will be at Cripple Creek (5 days until I leave). I hope this helps. Best to you all and all of yours.
NH
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body; but rather to skid in sideways, cold beer in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and yelling WHO, HOO! What a Ride...

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2006, 03:50:14 PM »

Hey Paul,
Yes, I've had the tour of your electronic marvel  [smiley=xyxthumbs.gif] and the fairing is a work of art as well.

My thinking is more along the lines of not converting a SERK into an Electra, and have an easily removable fairing with maybe one electical plug. It would only be used for long trips to reduce fatigue or when foul weather is expected,etc. I like the ability on the SERK to quickly remove nearly everything (windshield, backrests, etc.) and have the cleaner RK look. But hey that's just me. When you add all the connectors and hard wired gauges,etc. you're pretty much stuck with the fairing.

I'll see what details I can get from these guys and make a decision then. For $700 plus painting it may be an decent alternative to the pricer fairings, as long as the quality is there and they stick behind their product, etc.

Later,
Joe

CVOJOE

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2006, 12:31:37 PM »

I finally reached these guys, and they're mailing me some literature and disty pricing (5 or more quantity). They only come in primer color at this time, and the pricing is going up next month due to materials cost increases. Will scan and post the info when I get it. This one looks like a simpler solution than the Dragonfly or Hoppe, but would like to see one in person.

Joe

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 24 queries.