Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: The new Rubber Paved Road – Traxxion Dynamics AK-20’s  (Read 6450 times)

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO SERG - Silver 2009
The new Rubber Paved Road – Traxxion Dynamics AK-20’s
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:10:18 PM »

(this is an abbreviated version due to charater limit on CVO Harley)

Well, I’ve gotten 1,500+ miles under my belt with the Traxxion AK-20’s and now I’m ready to provide a general review of this top tier aftermarket front end cartridge system offered by Traxxion Dynamics for Harley Touring motorcycles.

My install was done by the only Traxxion Dynamics authorized installer (I think?) in the Northeast; Rocket Moto @ www.rocketmoto.com located in Hollis, New Hampshire – which is a short ride from Boston, MA.

My experience at Rocket Moto: Owner Adam and his wife are two of the most professional and friendly people you could ever meet. Leading up to the install, Adam and his staff responded quickly to all of my emails and phone inquires I placed inquiring about their services and the Traxxion AK-20 install. Adam’s knowledge and passion for his craft came through loud and clear as I asked my questions, which put any concerns I had about spending $1,400+ (parts and install) to rest. It was refreshing to talk to someone who knows what they’re talking about and who can convey information in a clear and concise manner to their customer. Rocket Moto was also very accommodating by allowing odd drop off and pick up times for my motorcycle. For those interested in installing the Traxxion AK-20 on their Harley Touring and live in the Northeast or outside the Northeast for that matter, I highly recommend Adam @ Rocket Moto.

Adam mentioned one other important fact I want to share. Invariably, with many new mechanical based products there is usually some sort of break-in period before said product performs at its optimum design. So I asked Adam what that period was (in miles) for the Traxxion AK-20’s? He stated – there is no break-in period, the Traxxion AK-20’s perform 100% once installed.

Now for my initial riding experience after the Traxxion AK-20’s was installed. I left Rocket Moto around 9:00pm to motor home and when I sat on the bike, I knew something special was done. Moving the handlebar left too right was more precise than it had been. Turning the bike around to head out of the driveway was less strenuous and feathering first gear felt smoother for some reason – quite possible a placebo moment. Still in first gear, leaving the long driveway / cul-de-sac area from Rocket Moto, the front end felt like I was riding on a Rubber Paved Road.

For the next 1,500 +/-100 miles, I put my 2009 CVO Road Glide through its paces with the new Traxxion AK-20 front end leading the way. Each time out, I would ride about 250 – 300 miles – checking for front fork oil leaks, listening for any new sound, feeling handlebar feedback and general motorcycle reaction to bumps and road irregularities.

Observations related to the 1,500 miles after returning home:
First observation; the CVO Road Glide always performed well in crosswinds and passing semi trucks on the highway. I never thought the experience of traversing these road conditions were problematic due to the frame mounted “Shark Nose” fairings ability to slice through the wind. The Traxxion AK-20 front end enhanced an already great attribute of the frame mounted fairing. During my testing period, I purposely sought out semi trucks on the road and rode in the rain with heavy winds (yeah, I know not safe – only did this once) and could not believe the improvement in stability the front end has.

Second observation; for those in the know, owners of the Traxxion AK-20 cartridge system can make manual adjustments to the cartridges; i.e., turn left on the internal knobs and the cartridges get softer, turn right and the cartridges firm up. Adam explained that the Traxxion AK-20’s offers a full 3 turns of adjustment. He, (and I assume all) as a factory authorized Traxxion AK-20 installer set the cartridges midway of the total adjustment; 1 ½ turns. Adam showed me how I can get my index finger between the opening in the covers that enclose the forks and handlebar risers to make adjustments on the fly. During test ride #2, I increased the damping on the cartridges by a mere quarter turn to the right. My quarter turn adjustment firmed up the front end more than I expected. For this test ride, the front end still exhibited the same premium characteristics it did previously but now it felt more Ferrari like and less Mercedes like – if that makes sense. When I made it home, I changed the settings back to the factory 1 ½ midway setting and all was back to normal.

Third observation: Cornering felt more surefooted than in the past. The bike was easier to lean into corners and straighten up when rolling on the throttle out of a turn. The front tire felt planted to the pavement but didn’t communicate much through the handlebar. This is the feeling of riding on a “Rubber Paved Road” I mentioned in the heading. I don’t know how Traxxion Dynamics accomplished this but it works and works well.

Last observation; there is nothing else to report other than I have ultimate compliance from the front end of my motorcycle.

The issue now, I have to get the rear end into the same league as the front end. After an extensive research, I have decided to ask Howard Messner of Motorcycle Metal to cook up some Ohlins 3-3 for me. Once I receive them and get them installed, I will provide a write up on their suitability with the Traxxion AK-20’s.

So there you have it – one man’s opinion of the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 front end suspension upgrade for Harley Touring bikes. I’m extremely happy with my choice of the Traxxion AK-20’s and just as happy with Adam @ Rocket Moto as the authorized installer.

Now time to ride the Rubber Paved Roads again.

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: The new Rubber Paved Road – Traxxion Dynamics AK-20’s
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »

It's good stuff...the very best, IMO.  Try getting on a stock bike now...the difference will be even more amazing.  You quickly forget how different your bike is now.

Regarding rear shocks...have you taken a look at the Bitubo shocks offered by Traxxion Dynamics?  An excellent shock once you get them set up.  There are several here that run them...I had them on a Vrod, and they were great.

If you look at the Bitubo's, give Dan a call at Traxxion's home office in GA...tell him you're a CVO forum member.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

cold1

• Full CVO Member
    • AB

• CVO1: 04 SEEG pumpkin
    • CVO2: 2010 WOLF Big Dog
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 10:57:15 PM »

I have been using AK-20's on front of FLHTCSE about 25 k miles,love em.  (Bitubo's on rear good) But ! (best ride is Legand air ride on rear), it complements AK-20's (IMHO) CHEERS  :pumpkin:

BryantH

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: CVO SERG - Silver 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 11:58:25 PM »

TCnBhan / cold1 - thanks for the suggestions for Bitubo's - I did consider them for the rears but my research led me to conclude that the Ohlins #3-#3 may provide slightly better results. Based on cost - it was almost a wash between the two aforementioned shocks as well.

cold1 - I had Legend Air's on my V-Rod years ago and loved them. This time around, I wanted to go with a non-air shock in the rears though.

My Ohlins were just delivered and I plan to get them installed within the next week or so (family matters abound) and get them dialed in.

In either case, I don't think a person can go wrong using Bitubo's or Ohlins - both top notch from what I read.

BryantH

tkbalt

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 10:39:16 PM »

I am also going with the Ohlin #3-3's - will get the rear sorted out and then address the front.  Bottoming out in the rear feels worse that brake dive in the front.

BryantH - what about that update - anxious to see how Traxxion goes with the #3-3's.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:34:43 AM by tkbalt »

donvito

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 11:22:06 AM »

What ever happened to the review? Question about the fork cartridges. I had Progressive monotubes on my 07 (I know theyre junk, but have to ask) in leaning through sweeping turns if I hit a tar snake the front end was so sensitive it became downright scarey, does the Traxxion carts react like that?
Im considering Ohlins 6's, Ktec and now looking into Traxxion for all around system on my 12 CVO RG

greglyon

• 1K CVO Member
  • 2013 FLHRSE5
    • AZ

• CVO1: FLHRSE5
    • Phillips and Lyon LLC
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 12:15:23 PM »

Every time I read these reviews for the replacement of component parts I get pi$$ed!
Clearly, these after market mods make our bikes perform better and in some instances make them safer.  The factory suspension on this 31k bike was in my opinion awful. Spending 2k more to replace the front and back suspension in order to get the bike you thought you were buying in the first place, is just plain wrong.  I am done.  :soapbox: 

good review.
"A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory"

Jswerve

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 12:30:08 PM »

Every time I read these reviews for the replacement of component parts I get pi$$ed!
Clearly, these after market mods make our bikes perform better and in some instances make them safer.  The factory suspension on this 31k bike was in my opinion awful. Spending 2k more to replace the front and back suspension in order to get the bike you thought you were buying in the first place, is just plain wrong.  I am done.  :soapbox: 

good review.
I agree. Now they are 40k and still require suspension upgrades.

2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
|Color Matched Detachable Tour Pak | Fuelmoto PV | Dragos 580 cams | Dragula 2-1/Ghost Pipe | Cyclesmith 13's | Sachs heads | Yaffe Stealth III License Plate Frame| Long Angled High

FlaHeatWave

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '01 FXDWG2 RED 103 6sp
    • CVO2: '05 FLHTCSE2 CHERRY
    • CVO3: '09 FLTRSE3 YELLOW 117/DD7
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »

Thanks for the write-up :2vrolijk_21: Once you change the shocks and get them dialed in, it should be another big improvement...
"I've read dozens of books about heros and crooks, and learned much from both of their styles"

DrSpencer

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 02:00:15 AM »

2011 FLHX: Traxxion in the front, Bitubos in the back.

No better setup.

Previously had Progressive Monotubes & HD Premium shocks.

Night & day difference.

garya1

• Full CVO Member
  • 2015 CVORG and a host of others
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 09:39:06 AM »

I have had 4-5 sets of TD cartridge forks along with many different rear shocks from Progressives to Ohlin's, but never tried bitubos.

Now that I have Howards, Ohlin's kit for 49mm new touring forks and his #6 rear shocks, I will say that are far ahead of the TD forks. TD was my benchmark before Howard's, Ohlin's kit with 50% more front end travel and full comp. rebound and preload adjustment.

As for his #6s for the rears, same thing, nothing I have experienced comes close.
I have had a passion to ride since age 10 when Dad told me I would NEVER have a motorcycle!

NYSport

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide, Skunk
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2015, 09:45:13 PM »

Garya1, did you do the install?
Former US Army
160th Little Bird Pilot

garya1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2015, 09:27:59 AM »

Yes, on my 2015 CVORG, I put Howard's 49mm "special kit on the front and his #6 with remote reservoir on the rear. Dialed it all in for both one up and two up operation. I have pre-load adjustments to both front and rear when going from 1-2 up. Takes about 2 minutes.

This is my new benchmark for Harley suspension. No comparison to ANYTHING else, including the AK-20s, of which I am still running three sets on other bikes. Amazing improvement in handling, performance and plushness (is that a word?)

Just waiting for a few more bits to get a 2006 Dyna street bob back on the road with Howard's front and rear set up as well. This is my "canyon carver". However, I took the CVORG over Diablo Canyon Saturday. 70 miles from I5 to 680 on a 2 laner with 100+ 10 mph curves. Amazing ride, amazing view from James Lick Observatory over the SF bay area. Really proved how GREAT this suspension package is.

The bike sits taller in both front and rear by about 1/2 inch. I added the PM extended jiffy stand. This got the lean angle back to about the same as stock when sitting on the jiffy stand.

I realize this is EXPENSIVE at close to $3K for the parts. I did the install myself so no labor. I rationalized this cost by figuring it is about 7% of the cost of the bike. My only regret is now all other bikes handle like #SH$T after riding Howard's Kit on the front and rear.

I will note that GRC's comments on other threads are accurate IMHO regarding all the things we needed to do on the pre 2009 models like glide-pro, true-track etc. These items are not needed anymore. The motor company really improved things with the new frame and new motor mounting system. I only wish  I had that knowledge BEFORE I bought some of them and found them to not really make a difference I could feel!

I am sure this same argument could be made about my spending $3K on suspension, but in this case the difference it made was truly profound.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 09:35:22 AM by garya1 »
I have had a passion to ride since age 10 when Dad told me I would NEVER have a motorcycle!

CultusRider

• Just because you have a crack in your arse doesn't make you a cripple.
  • Junior CVO Member
  • Know What Matters

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4 (sold)
    • CVO2: 2013 FLHTCUSE8 (sold)
    • CVO3: 2015 Fltruse
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2015, 01:50:40 PM »

Yes, on my 2015 CVORG, I put Howard's 49mm "special kit on the front and his #6 with remote reservoir on the rear. Dialed it all in for both one up and two up operation. I have pre-load adjustments to both front and rear when going from 1-2 up. Takes about 2 minutes.

This is my new benchmark for Harley suspension. No comparison to ANYTHING else, including the AK-20s, of which I am still running three sets on other bikes. Amazing improvement in handling, performance and plushness (is that a word?)

Just waiting for a few more bits to get a 2006 Dyna street bob back on the road with Howard's front and rear set up as well. This is my "canyon carver". However, I took the CVORG over Diablo Canyon Saturday. 70 miles from I5 to 680 on a 2 laner with 100+ 10 mph curves. Amazing ride, amazing view from James Lick Observatory over the SF bay area. Really proved how GREAT this suspension package is.

The bike sits taller in both front and rear by about 1/2 inch. I added the PM extended jiffy stand. This got the lean angle back to about the same as stock when sitting on the jiffy stand.

I realize this is EXPENSIVE at close to $3K for the parts. I did the install myself so no labor. I rationalized this cost by figuring it is about 7% of the cost of the bike. My only regret is now all other bikes handle like #SH$T after riding Howard's Kit on the front and rear.

I will note that GRC's comments on other threads are accurate IMHO regarding all the things we needed to do on the pre 2009 models like glide-pro, true-track etc. These items are not needed anymore. The motor company really improved things with the new frame and new motor mounting system. I only wish  I had that knowledge BEFORE I bought some of them and found them to not really make a difference I could feel!

I am sure this same argument could be made about my spending $3K on suspension, but in this case the difference it made was truly profound.
Getting a system from Howard is something I have considered for a few yrs now... and your great description isn't helping me save my pennies! I also have a 15' SERGU, riding 2up about 50% of the time. When we do head out together, we are loaded (riders plus gear is 450 - 475 lbs) and it's usually for several days at a time doing 450 mpd on average. When alone (235 lbs rider + gear) on the bike I often have the tour pack removed and ride aggressively to enjoy the twisties as per the "recommendations" in the guide books like Destination Highways :)

All this to say I probably need the same set up you have? Other considerations.... I've had a few surgeries - back, neck, etc. and find I still get a pretty sore back, even with the much improved equipment and ride of the Rushmore and wondering if the set up you have will also help in this regard? Comments / suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance.
CultusRider

garya1

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »

Getting a system from Howard is something I have considered for a few yrs now... and your great description isn't helping me save my pennies! I also have a 15' SERGU, riding 2up about 50% of the time. When we do head out together, we are loaded (riders plus gear is 450 - 475 lbs) and it's usually for several days at a time doing 450 mpd on average. When alone (235 lbs rider + gear) on the bike I often have the tour pack removed and ride aggressively to enjoy the twisties as per the "recommendations" in the guide books like Destination Highways :)

All this to say I probably need the same set up you have? Other considerations.... I've had a few surgeries - back, neck, etc. and find I still get a pretty sore back, even with the much improved equipment and ride of the Rushmore and wondering if the set up you have will also help in this regard? Comments / suggestions appreciated and thanks in advance.

Cultis:
Sorry for tempting you!

I have two low back surgeries under my belt (pun intended) the state of California considers me 89% disabled.
Since we have the same bike (is YOURS BLUE? If not then mine is faster!) you already have the best comfort seat around. I like it so much, I took a heated Corbin off a07 CVOUC and replaced it with this seat!

As for the suspension upgrade, only you can decide if it is worth the cost. You WILL LOVE it if decide to get it. You can dial in for two up 500 mile days with PLUSH factor over the top, then, in about 3 minutes you can change it to solo canyon mode without tour pack. You have a full 3/4 inch of spring preload adjustment on the front forks!

I would have to look it all up to be certain, but I think stock suspension travel on 2015 RG / UC is 4.6 inches front and 3 inches rear. Mine now has 3.625 rear and 7.500 front. A huge increase and in translates to an amazing improvement along with the superior Ohlins dampening.

My wife (who is always ignorant of upgrades) noticed the first ride and still comments on how comfortable the bike is.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 24 queries.