Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Lithium Ion Starter Batteries... Experience? Opinions?  (Read 3451 times)

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
Lithium Ion Starter Batteries... Experience? Opinions?
« on: January 09, 2012, 01:32:59 PM »

Came across an article on Shorai Lithium Ion Batteries for Motorcycles and other power sport applications.  Autoweek gives them a very high rating.  Looked at their website,  Shorai.   The claim is the batteries are smaller & lighter, stronger, last 2x longer and do not dissipate a charge nearly as fast as lead acid.  Bad news is the standard application for my 2009 SERG is $276 and the "heavy duty" version is $350. 

I have always used the standard batteries in my HD's but have put in an Odessey in my Titan which sits alot.  They both work fine and the Odessey can be had for less than the HD's.  Anyone out there with Lithium Ion experience or opinions? 

Thank you in advance. 

Shorai Standard Specifications:

Voltage (V):           12
A/Hr PbEq:             27
Cranking CCA (A):  405
Weight (grams):     1900.00
Weight (lbs.):         4.19
Max Charge (A):     24

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
Re: Lithium Ion Starter Batteries... Experience? Opinions?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 01:51:06 PM »

Standard for a softail springer is $249.99 and $275.95 for the duration or "heavy duty" battery.
Jesus is Lord

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »

At those prices, it would have to last twice as long just to break even!!!!!! Whats an extra 10lbs in the center of a bagger????
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 02:06:12 PM »

When they say twice as long......is that at least 10 years???  Personally I have upgraded bikes a few times in the last 10 years so I almost never need a battery, but a friend just replaced his original from his 2003 SERK(purchased in early 2004)......almost 8 years on a battery is damn good!!

dlaws01

• 1K CVO Member
  • Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulltion

• CVO1: 105th Anniversary FXSTSSE2
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 02:09:01 PM »

I think the biggest benefit would be losing the lead and acid and the reduction in weight. JMHO
Jesus is Lord

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 02:10:57 PM »

Greg...personally, I think it's overkill and unecessary, especially if a person keeps their battery on a battery tender when not riding.  If I had a race bike where every lb. counted, I'd probably look at one of those.  In a few years, the prices will likely come down to something more in line with regular batteries.  JMHO...
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 02:13:58 PM »

Greg...personally, I think it's overkill and unecessary, especially if a person keeps their battery on a battery tender when not riding.  If I had a race bike where every lb. counted, I'd probably look at one of those.  In a few years, the prices will likely come down to something more in line with regular batteries.  JMHO...

Makes sense.......

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 02:31:27 PM »

There are lots of folks selling cordless drill battery technology for powersports applications.  Some go with the absolute minimum size for weight reduction in things like motocross bikes or other weight critical applications, and for those it probably makes sense even after factoring in the huge difference in price.  However, when you scale everything up to handle a full zoot Harley dresser, you're only looking at a few pounds difference, and if you eat a really big breakfast before your ride you will lose any weight advantage gained with the Li battery.  As for the lower self discharge rate, make sure you understand that only applies to the discharge rate when the battery is not connected to any sort of load.  If you leave it connected while your bike sits for weeks or months, then it definitely will discharge as the always on items on the bike continue to draw current.  The Li has a lower self discharge rate than a standard lead acid battery, but the latest AGM's don't have a high self discharge rate either.  Maybe it would be a good selling point if you planned to buy one and let it sit in the basement for a couple years, but otherwise it's just more marketing smoke that has little impact for the majority of customers.  In other words, don't throw away your battery tender if you plan to let your bike sit for any length of time unless you plan to disconnect the battery.

Lithium is a highly reactive and hazardous material, regardless of what the advertising copy implies, and lot's of Li batteries have had safety issues, including laptop batteries that caught fire and similar problems with certain electric and/or hybrid car batteries.  So read those ads with a healthy dose of skepticism.

The time will come when the older lead acid technology will probably be pushed aside by Li-ion and other technologies, but only when the economics make sense.  Right now Li-ion is way too expensive to become the mainstream starting battery for vehicles.  If you race small motorcycles with kick starters, the high cost but lower weight might be justified.  If you ride a 900+ pound street bike loaded with electrical accessories, IMHO it's just one more of the many things being offered for sale that isn't worth the price.  If you want to pay three times as much just for bragging rights, go ahead if that's the sort of thing that impresses you and your friends.  I'll stick with my AGM for now.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »

Great comment, all!  Thanks.  More are welcome....

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

jgandara

• johnny gandara
  • Ride today, rust tomorrow.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Crimson Black/Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE2 Black Ice/Electric Orange, international
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 08:17:46 PM »

I'm also considering this. My stock battery is bad, and extended warranty doesn't covers that. I'm now thinking about to buy Oddysey PC925L or Shorai LFX36L3-BS12, that shows 540 CCA and 36 AH reserve capacity. I like to hear music from my bike 2, 3 or 4 hours and have enough energy to crank it up, but I don't know how really works a lithium iron on a touring motorcycle, I mean, what disadvantages could has Shorai lithium iron vs Oddysey AGM, other than the price.
johnny gandara

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2013, 05:24:39 PM »

When I replaced the battery in the wifes Road King I looked at them but could not justify the added expense and the unknowns of how long it would really last. Plus did not want to put a battery in the bike that could last X-amount of years and maybe not keep the RK for only another year or two. Bought the Deka and it's working great. JMO.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

Unbalanced

• FUD Examiner
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 SESG,
    • CVO2: 2004 SEEG Pumpkin,
    • CVO3: 2002 Police Roadking, Maudie and Maybelle Slayer
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2013, 08:49:36 PM »

http://antigravitybatteries.com/?page_id=2267

Check the bottom of the page.   720 CCA.   

The Antigravity 24-Cell

The Antigravity 24-cell  is the most POWERFUL and compact Lithium Battery you can buy anywhere! This battery can  start the largest of motorcycle engines and even Car Engines up to 5.7 litre V8 motors….yet only weighs 4.3 pound.  At only 6″ long x 3.4″ wide x 5.1″ tall this is a true monster power in a ultra small and massively lightweight battery.
   720 CCA
 22 Amp Hours (PbEq)
 6″  Long  x 3.5″ Wide x 5.12″ Tall
 5.0 lbs
 Use in Touring, Adventure and and Large V-Twin Applications
 For Race vehicles up to 5000cc
 For Street Motorcycles up to 2500cc

Buy Now $469.00
HBRR Florida Chapter,  STILL - The Fastest Chapter - Proven yet again Bikeweek 2017

jgandara

• johnny gandara
  • Ride today, rust tomorrow.

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Crimson Black/Slate
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE2 Black Ice/Electric Orange, international
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2013, 09:57:13 PM »

I called today with a Shorai tech and the inconvenience of their lithium iron is reserve capacity. They measure their AH or reserve by a different method than others and told me that real reserve or AH are about the half they show, I mean, about 20 AH instead 28 AH from a Harley or Odyssey PC925L. And that's not good for hearing music during 3 hours with the bike parked on acc switch and drinking some beers with friends. Odyssey is the best choice for now, same AH than Harley but a lot more cranking amps, and 2 years full warranty instead 6 months full + 6 months prorated from Harley. Price about $180 for Odyssey. But for now, I'm installing a new XS Power S975 (975 Cranking amps) that I bought by error 2 years ago and keept. Let's see how it works.
johnny gandara

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 09:53:57 AM »

I called today with a Shorai tech and the inconvenience of their lithium iron is reserve capacity. They measure their AH or reserve by a different method than others and told me that real reserve or AH are about the half they show, I mean, about 20 AH instead 28 AH from a Harley or Odyssey PC925L. And that's not good for hearing music during 3 hours with the bike parked on acc switch and drinking some beers with friends. Odyssey is the best choice for now, same AH than Harley but a lot more cranking amps, and 2 years full warranty instead 6 months full + 6 months prorated from Harley. Price about $180 for Odyssey. But for now, I'm installing a new XS Power S975 (975 Cranking amps) that I bought by error 2 years ago and keept. Let's see how it works.

Go back and read the fine print jgandara.  The cranking amps they promote and include in the model name of their batteries is not the industry standard CCA, but something they call pulse cranking amps.  For instance, the PC925 battery they recommend for a late model Touring bike actually comes in at 330 CCA when you measure that battery using industry standard SAE methodology.  The stock Harley battery is actually rated better than that these days. They also claim a whole lot of benefits that are based on comparisons to the old technology flooded wet cell batteries Harley used a few decades ago, not the AGM batteries standard in all Harley's for the past decade or two.  While CCA is the industry standard, you will still see some companies who try to muddy the waters by using CA numbers, or in this case a totally made up "Pulse" number.  If you want to do an honest and meaningful comparison, use the industry standard CCA numbers.

CCA is a measurement of the number of amps a battery can deliver at 0°F for 30 seconds and not drop below a specific voltage.  CA is an older standard that made the measurement at 32°F, and there was an HCA (hot cranking amps) figure in the old days that was measured at 80°F.  I don't know of anyone using that one any more.  And then we have the five second "pulse" measurement used by Odyssey that isn't supported by any industry standard at all.  It does make for attention grabbing numbers when trying to sell your product however.  I imagine that XS Power S925 is the same thing as the Odyssey PC925, btw.

If you want to use your bike as an entertainment center, why not consider a dual battery setup similar to what people pulling camping trailers often do?  One battery to operate the vehicle, and a second battery and isolator dedicated to the accessory circuit or just the audio system.  That way you can jam all night and still never worry about being able to start the bike.  Worked great back in my camping days.  You don't need a big heavy battery to run the audio system, so you could use one of those small lightweight batteries for the second battery.  Just a thought.

Jerry

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 11:15:22 AM by grc »
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 06:29:11 PM »

i have a Ballistic battery in my cvo ...so far so good

http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/batteries.php
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 24 queries.