Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Saddle Bag Thefts...  (Read 14612 times)

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: 09 SERG Silver/Titanium
    • CVO2: 86 FLST
Saddle Bag Thefts...
« on: January 13, 2012, 10:14:50 PM »

Seems this is becoming VERY common in Nor Cal these days. Friend sent this to me.

Good Morning...... This is an FYI, warning, beware, ect. For those who ride touring bikes with hard saddle bags it seems to be the new thing to steal them. This was witnessed first hand the other night, after a meeting that I was attending, several people who rode their bikes came out to discover that all their hard saddle bags had been STOLEN! All were locked,somehow the thieves were able to remove the pins( that hold them on) from the outside!You might want to look into something to secure your bags and property, as people lost valuable items that were inside their bags as well. Be aware and hope that it doesn't happen to you!

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Saddle Bag Thefts...
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »

Seems this is becoming VERY common in Nor Cal these days. Friend sent this to me.

Good Morning...... This is an FYI, warning, beware, ect. For those who ride touring bikes with hard saddle bags it seems to be the new thing to steal them. This was witnessed first hand the other night, after a meeting that I was attending, several people who rode their bikes came out to discover that all their hard saddle bags had been STOLEN! All were locked,somehow the thieves were able to remove the pins( that hold them on) from the outside!You might want to look into something to secure your bags and property, as people lost valuable items that were inside their bags as well. Be aware and hope that it doesn't happen to you!

I'd like to know what paper or news agency this is reported in..  Did a search in all the local here and didn't find nada... Kind of makes me wonder of there is an add buried in that story.... :nixweiss:  pretty common with computer virus industry.... :confused5:

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »

This has been discussed at length on this forum...once in a while theft and sometimes having a bag fall off while riding. Several members have used Saddlebag Secure made by this company to help prevent this.

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=60689.0

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »

I'd like to know what paper or news agency this is reported in..  Did a search in all the local here and didn't find nada... Kind of makes me wonder of there is an add buried in that story.... nixweiss  pretty common with computer virus industry.... confused5

email that was forwarded to me came from local HOG chapter pres...   I have no other info other than what my friend sent.

Chuck Pryor

• Elite CVO Member
    • TN

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:30:42 PM »

I'd like to know what paper or news agency this is reported in..  Did a search in all the local here and didn't find nada... Kind of makes me wonder of there is an add buried in that story.... nixweiss  pretty common with computer virus industry.... confused5

email that was forwarded to me came from local HOG chapter pres...   I have no other info other than what my friend sent.

Came from:

James Buckley
Assistant Director
Sacramento Chapter #295
http://sachog.com

cvobiker

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 11:39:46 AM »

Hey Chuck

Actually i did find several New's accounts about saddlebag theft last night on Google, so I apologize sir for my assumption  :2vrolijk_21:  The accounts i read said that saddlebag thefts are up because of the latest craze with motorcycle high-end stereo equipment noting most thefts are saddlebags with speakers... Thefts also know that things such as cameras, tools and even weapons are carried in saddle bags and an experienced theft can take off with two saddle bags in less then 30 seconds..   So again, I apologize..  Anyone interested in reading what i found, just Google Harley Davidson Saddle Bag Thefts. 

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2012, 01:03:21 PM »

Get the Saddlebag Secure things from Brukus...CVO members get a discount.  The stock pins are useless as a theft deterrent...all it takes is a screwdriver and 30 seconds or less.  With the Saddlebag Secure, they'd have to break something to get them off.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:27:33 AM »

Sounds like a good idea to take a precaution like this.   Bad enough losing your bags with all we might have in it, how bout when it's loaded with speakers and an amp?  I think it's a good Idea to protect ourselves.  I will definitely look into this and it's a good idea that it's been brought to our attention.   I agree,  doesn't take a whole lot to pop these off even when locked.  Sucks that we have to deal with this too.  >:(
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:24:24 AM by cvostu »

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 07:39:06 AM »

With the automatic security system on the new bikes, wouldn't it activate if someone was taking bags with speakers in them?  :nixweiss: spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

faceracer

• Faceracer
  • 1K CVO Member
  • 2019 FLHRXS Road Kind Special
    • KY

• CVO1: 2019 FLHRXS Road King Special (not a cvo)
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 07:50:25 AM »

I purchased the brukus kit and feel its a cheap piece of mind. Made my mind up when one of the forum members lost a bag just like mine doing 60mph! That was a $1200 saddle bag / CVO paint job! I also purchased the kit for my tour pack.

On another note, Do any of you think this is happening because bikers stopped punching people in the face for messing with their bikes? Interesting thought proposed to me by a 1%er friend as we discussed these thefts saddle bag thefts?

Face
2019 FLHRXS Road King Special
2016 FLSS Softail Slim Special
2009 CVO Road Glide FLTRSE3
2007 Cobalt Blue FLHX
2001 Chrome Yellow & vivid Black FXDL
1985 Candy Red FXRS
1955 Triumph T110 Tiger chopper built by me!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2012, 07:53:05 AM »

I see a plug on the inside of each bag. Lots of wires too.   I'm not sure, hbut on the sesg3 there are wires for the ipod and the speaker on the right side.     The left side has wires for the speaker and an amp.   Not sure about any security back there.   Wouldn't be a bad idea to protect ourselves anyway.  I'm gonna look at the one that  Terry ( TC) recommends.  Can't be too secure these days.  Seems like more bad people are around in a bad economy.  :nixweiss:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:56:06 AM by cvostu »

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2012, 11:10:44 AM »

I see a plug on the inside of each bag. Lots of wires too.   I'm not sure, hbut on the sesg3 there are wires for the ipod and the speaker on the right side.     The left side has wires for the speaker and an amp.   Not sure about any security back there.   Wouldn't be a bad idea to protect ourselves anyway.  I'm gonna look at the one that  Terry ( TC) recommends.  Can't be too secure these days.  Seems like more bad people are around in a bad economy.  :nixweiss:

The Brukus kit is cheap insurance and a quick install. If they really want what's in the bag they would need to break it off the bike to get it. If they want the bag in good condition, that's not happening with the kit installed. If the thief really wants it, all we can do is make it more difficult to steal and hope they walk away, but after that, that's what insurance is for.....

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2012, 11:58:01 AM »

On another note, Do any of you think this is happening because bikers stopped punching people in the face for messing with their bikes? Interesting thought proposed to me by a 1%er friend as we discussed these thefts saddle bag thefts?
Face

I'm not sure about how many "bikers" actually punched people in the face in the past, or how many are doing it now.  Unless you stay out in the parking lot with your bike, you can't possibly keep an eye on it 100% of the time.  I always attempt to keep my bike in view when in a place to eat, and try to stay in motels that either have secure parking, will allow me to park the bike in view of the front desk, or outside my motel room door.  But that can't always happen.  It only takes a minute for someone to steal something like bags, and less than that to just do damage to your bike for the hell of it.  These people who are stealing bags are not just your average person deciding to mess with bikes...they are thieves intent on a specific purpose, and have a market for their goods.  Walking up to one of them to punch them in the face is likely to get a gun pulled in your face.  Even if they are unarmed, and you are armed, shooting someone in defense of your motorcycle is likely to land you in jail, and getting into a gunfight in a parking lot over saddlebags, or someone sitting on your bike without permission, is probably not a real good idea either.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

MAT

• 1K CVO Member
  • Ride baby ride

• CVO1: 2009 SEUC Ruby Red / Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2012, 01:18:01 PM »

Here is the kit from Brukus - http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&item=35502

I do believe I will be putting a kit together from my local hardware store, with what I have invested in the stretched bags and paint, I will definitely be doing this upgrade very soon.

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 01:21:01 PM »

Here is the kit from Brukus - http://brukus.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=brukus-motorcycle-parts&item=35502

I do believe I will be putting a kit together from my local hardware store, with what I have invested in the stretched bags and paint, I will definitely be doing this upgrade very soon.

Don't forget to use tamper proof torx bolts like the Brukus kit does......
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.477 seconds with 24 queries.