Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road Glide Tire Pressure  (Read 27351 times)

panhead

• Panhead

• CVO1: 2011 Road Glide Ultra CVO Frosted Ivory & Vintage brown
    • CVO2: 2002 Ultra Classic orange & black
    • CVO3: 1963 Duo Glide all orignal
Road Glide Tire Pressure
« on: January 28, 2012, 09:44:59 AM »

Had my bike in for head bearing tighten. My mechanic said that the HD recommened tire pressure is wrong. It should be 40LBS. front and 42-44 LBS. in the back. With the low profile tire this will make it wear twice as long.

PANHEAD

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Road Glide Tire Pressure
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 09:47:04 AM »

Best recommenation you can ever follow on tire pressures is to disregared the owner's manual and look on the tire's sidewall.

gabe

• because i can
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:39:49 AM »

i run 42 rear 40 front and dyna beads  had 11,618 when i drove over a nail on rear replaced it under tire warranty
front replaced also under warranty at 12,100 and both had less then 1/2 wear on them
2009 ultra black
1962 impala 409/ 4 speed /posi rear/ 2 4 barrels

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »

Harley has been using the same 36 psi front tire recommendation for as long as I can remeber.  They obviously use the same approach many auto companies use, where they recommend a lower than optimum pressure to help create a better ride.  It's cheaper than installing better suspensions.  But just cranking everything up to the the max or higher isn't always the best approach either.  Tires are designed to be run at a particular pressure that maintains the designed profile, and this is even more important on a motorcycle tire than a flat profile radial on a car.  Excessively high pressures reduce the contact patch of a motorcycle tire, so don't get carried away.  Check the tire manufacturer's recommendations along with the vehicle manufacturer's recommendations, sometimes you will find they don't agree.  In the case of the Dunflops, however, both recommendations do tend to match.

Anyhow, I tend to look at the recommended pressures as the absolute minimums, and usually adjust to somewhere about halfway from the recommended and the sidewall maximum numbers.  That applies to my four wheeled vehicles as well.  For instance, if the manual says 36 and the sidewall says 40, I set it at 38.  It's worked fine for me for a lot of years. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

DOOFUS

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 03:41:28 PM »

I always run 2 pounds under max noted on the sidewall -- my tires last forever :).

UFO_HOG

• Good Guys Wear Black
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLTRSE3 Orange / Black
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 09:11:50 PM »

42 rear 40 front
You gotta be smart enough to understand the rules of motorcycling, and dumb enough to think the game's important.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 24 queries.