Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Tilt Angle Sensor  (Read 12880 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Tilt Angle Sensor
« on: July 13, 2006, 07:43:18 PM »

So I'm talking to my dealer service manager about my SEUC and the problem with the cough or spit and the fact it died turning left after the SERT was installed and run.

"How far were you leaning", he asks.  Hell I don't know the running boards weren't dragging, I was just starting out onto a one way street so fairly sharp.

Maybe it was the tilt/tip angle kill switch.  What the hell is that?  Since 99 they have had it.

So has anyone else had a problem with the damn thing shutting of the bike?  The more I thought about my sputtering it is always on take off and mostly if not always turning left.

Jerry, 2Ln ?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2006, 07:44:16 PM by Rjob749 »

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
    • CVO2: 2009 FLTRSE3
    • CVO3: 2013 FLHTCUSE8
Re: Tilt Angle Sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »

I don't think that's the problem Roger mine does it whether I'm turning or not.
2014 FLHTKSE Stardust Silver/Autumn Sunset
2013 FLHTCUSE8 Anniversary
2009 FLTRSE3 Orange/Black
2008 FLHTCUSE3 Anniversary
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

arcticdude

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 08:08:40 PM »

I think you've got to get to 60 degrees or so- well beyond any normal riding position to get the tilt/angle sensor to kill the bike.  It's only designed as another g-d safety device to prevent further injury incase of going down.
don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- chitty products with chitty support

hd-dude

• Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2005 Cherry FLHTCSE2 "Obsession"

• CVO1: 05 FLHTCSE2
    • Metal Dragon
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »

The bank angle sensor if activated will shut the bike down and it will not restart until the ignition is turn off for 10-15 seconds to reset it. Coughin or sputtering upon take off is not the bank angle sensor if the bike does not turn off.

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 08:16:43 PM »

One other thought, mine never does it after it's up to full operating temperature, what about yours?
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 08:26:47 PM »

One other thought, mine never does it after it's up to full operating temperature, what about yours?

That's the weird part.  After the SERT install the bike showed an oil temp of 240 when I took off as they had just finished a road test and wash.  So it was warmed up.

It did shut of with a cough.  It had never died before only sputtered.  But it did re-start immediately without the ignition being turned off.

They got it on the computer and it showed no faults and has test driven fine for them, so I guess I'll just get it back and ride it like I stole it like always.

Oh, after they get a new radio, seat relay switch they broke and hopefully get my reception back where it was.....long sotry another thread, possibly looking for another dealer if this doesn't work out.

Tbone

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2006, 08:38:55 PM »

I know what you mean, the saga continues...
2003 FLHRCI Silver/Black

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2006, 08:40:47 PM »

I know what you mean, the saga continues...

There you go

geezerglide

• 1K CVO Member
  • New Geezerglide
    • AB

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2006, 09:26:25 PM »

Roger,

Their has been a problem with the fuel line in the gas tank, it may have pin holes in it and this will cause the bike to sputter and eventually die. It has to be replaced with the new fuel line which is apprx. 12" compared to the old one at 14.5"

Just a thought, while it is in the shop you might as well have them check it out.

geezerglide

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2006, 09:54:31 PM »

The one on my SED worked perfectly when I went down last year...

So I'm talking to my dealer service manager about my SEUC and the problem with the cough or spit and the fact it died turning left after the SERT was installed and run.

"How far were you leaning", he asks.  Hell I don't know the running boards weren't dragging, I was just starting out onto a one way street so fairly sharp.

Maybe it was the tilt/tip angle kill switch.  What the hell is that?  Since 99 they have had it.

So has anyone else had a problem with the damn thing shutting of the bike?  The more I thought about my sputtering it is always on take off and mostly if not always turning left.

Jerry, 2Ln ?
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

06ULTRASE

• Senior CVO Member
  • In Memory of Scott Wheelihan

• CVO1: 06 FLHTUCSE (SOLD)
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 (SOLD)
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTUCSE8
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2006, 10:08:13 PM »

What do you expect the thing only cost 32K. Too run properly will cost you at least 2K more. Just kidding you sound fairly pissed off but not as pissed as me. Never had a problem with mine running, but everything else is crap. Radio replaced 2 times, now has 2 lines accross the display, heated grips replaced twice, not working again, gas gauge in twice still doesn't work. The new owner is picking it up Sat. It is the best and worst HD I've owned.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2006, 10:40:33 PM »

What do you expect the thing only cost 32K.[highlight] Too run properly will cost you at least 2K more[/highlight]. Just kidding [highlight]you sound fairly pissed off [/highlight]but not as pissed as me. Never had a problem with mine running, but everything else is crap. Radio replaced 2 times, now has 2 lines accross the display, heated grips replaced twice, not working again, gas gauge in twice still doesn't work. The new owner is picking it up Sat. It is the best and worst HD I've owned.   [smiley=nixweiss.gif]

It is stupid we have to make the dumb bikes run better, I suppose I could have jus left it but what fun would that be.  Not too pissed off, I'm am afterall a car dealer and understand how some chit can go wrong, but it is disappointing when it happens.

New owner as in you sold it or as in the shop sold and you are starting over?

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 10:41:37 PM »

Roger,
Their has been a problem with the fuel line in the gas tank, it may have pin holes in it and this will cause the bike to sputter and eventually die. It has to be replaced with the new fuel line which is apprx. 12" compared to the old one at 14.5"
Just a thought, while it is in the shop you might as well have them check it out.
geezerglide

Leo, I'll check it out, it's still there waiting for the radio replacement.  You heading out to Vancouver?  I think you had said something about it.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 10:59:02 PM »

The "Bank Angle Sensor" is part of the TSM/TSSM (turn signal/security module), and is designed to shut the engine off if you exceed a 45 degree bank angle for more than one second.  When the sensor kills the engine, the odometer will display "tip".  To restart the engine, make sure it is upright and then cycle the ignition switch off then back on.

There were problems back in '99 or '00 if I remember correctly with defective sensors that would shut the bike down during normal operation (shiny side up), but I haven't heard of that issue since then.  In this case, I seriously doubt that the bank angle sensor has anything to do with the stumble/stall problem.  So far, everyone has indicated that the "hiccup, stumble, stall, etc." is only a major issue before the bike reaches normal operating temperature.  This makes me believe that it is a too lean mixture and poor atomization of the fuel when cold.  H-D has their ECM's programmed to come out of cold start/warm up enrichment way too fast, to more easily meet EPA emissions standards.  If you have a SERT, you should be able to change the values in the "cold start" and "warm up" tables to richen the mixture until the bike is actually warmed up.  One of the SERT experts on this site could probably give you more detailed information on accessing the tables and recommended settings.  For those with other tuning devices like the PC, you have to richen the low speed mixture (1000 - 2000 rpm @ 0 - 10% throttle) just enough to eliminate the stumble when cold without going too rich when up to normal operating temp.  That's the method I used, since I don't have a SERT.  Once you get the low speed mixture dialed in, you'll also notice that the bike will run smoothly below 2000 rpm.  Stock, it bucks and jerks any time you let the rpm's drop below about 1900.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 11:05:04 PM »

The "Bank Angle Sensor" is part of the TSM/TSSM (turn signal/security module), and is designed to shut the engine off if you exceed a 45 degree bank angle for more than one second.  When the sensor kills the engine, the odometer will display "tip".  To restart the engine, make sure it is upright and then cycle the ignition switch off then back on.
Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the detail.  We are working the issue somewhat as you describe.  I'll just need to get it back and ride it to see if it contiues in the cold/warm area and go from there.  I do appreciate everyone's input here as well.

Roger
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.18 seconds with 24 queries.