Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Riding the hills Oakland and Berkley.....a different perspective of the bay area  (Read 9175 times)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8

This ride report is dedicated to my friend Judy.....while she's laid up, recouperating from her accident.

Rode over to the bay area yesterday.  Don rode over from Freemont and met Andy and I at the Elephant Bar for dinner last night.  I spent the night at Andy's guest house (or is that the pool house?).  Due to all the recent rains, the early morning sky was crystal clear and so I broke out the Nikon....

The view of Andy's home taken from the front door of the guest house, as I first stepped out...

and various views from the deck around the outside of Andy's home

You can see the southern end of San Francisco off in the distance...

We're rollin.....going to meet Don for breakfast.

Andy said he owns Solyndra......paid for it through his taxes.... :huepfenlol2:

We headed out to Niles Canyon and left on Palomares Rd.

Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

We're on Redwood Rd. here, headed towards Skyline.  These pictures are pretty indicative of most of our ride today.....just a beautiful ride, twisties and some incredable views.

and now we're in a grove of coastal redwoods.....

You would never guess what's in here...... ;D

More switch backs and 13% grade.....very steep....

a view of Oakland at the bottom of the hill and San Francisco across the bay....

This home has it's own personal railway system to get down to the front door.....haul the groceries down, etc.

and in the center of this pic you can just make out the towers of the Golden Gate bridge....

and the bay bridge.....

As you can see......it was just a great ride.  These are roads that I'd never been on before so that made it even more exciting for me.  I'll post more tomorrow.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

By the way.......can we get a collection going to get Andy a new pair of riding gloves? :nixweiss:

West Coast GTG   

backroad Mike

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Krypto

Looks like some fun rides..

One day, I'll get to come back out to visit family and have a bike..  Family lives north end of Sac Valley and Sacramento is closest place to rent a bike.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Looks like some fun rides..

One day, I'll get to come back out to visit family and have a bike..  Family lives north end of Sac Valley and Sacramento is closest place to rent a bike.

Don't know of any place here in the Sacramento area to rent a bike anymore.  Sacramento HD used to rent them but no longer. :nixweiss:  But you come on out......we'll get something worked out! :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

Fireguy

• 1K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO Road glide. Traded
    • CVO2: 2014 CVO Limited Sold

Was one of the roads you were on highway 9 where Alice's kitchen? That is a great road.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Could you ever get tired of these views?   Kind of like the views from Andy's home, overlooking the whole Santa Clara valley.......I just never get tired of staring out across it for long periods of time.  The American Indians were definately on to something.......

Eucalyptas grove.....

quite a number of little lakes on the east slopes.  Here are two of them....

Mt. Diablo (Mountain of the Devil) in the background.  Mt. Diablo is one of two places on earth where you can view for a hundred miles in 360* radius.  Mt. Kilmanjero in Africa is the second place.

Andy and I were just tryng to figure out......is she dong yoga or pilates?  Whatever, she sure enhanced the view......

We were inspired..... ;D

They mean "20 MPH" on the blind curve at the top of the hill.  It's a blind curve from both directions..... :o

West Coast GTG   

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Was one of the roads you were on highway 9 where Alice's kitchen? That is a great road.

No, Alice's Restaurant is on the pennisula......across the bay.  I've posted that road in another ride report recently.  There's a part of that road where you look to one side and you see the Pacific ocean and look to the other side and see the San Francisco bay. :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana

WOW Some of your best pics yet. Beautiful city and still great riding the hills. In the words of gabe " lets roll"

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

Plants and flowers are on the bloom.....

As we stopped in Martinez to get a bite to eat, Andy informed me that if I want to keep riding with him......I'll have to get my bike cleaned up. :huepfenlol2:

After lunch, to top the afternoon off, we came across the Oakland Raiderettes... :2vrolijk_21:

Sorry guys.......they were hired to be there for a fundraiser so they didn't feel it would be OK for them to pose by the bikes.....although they would have really liked to.

This is the moth ball fleet at the north end of the bay.  A bunch of old retired war ships from the Viet Nam era war and earlier.....

bay area wet lands....

Rice patties.....

Coming in on I-80.......the skyline of downtown Sacramento....

Tower Bridge across the Sacramento River, connects the cities of West Sacramento and Sacramento (two different cities, two different counties).

a shot of the Sacramento River as I passed over on the bridge....

The end of a great day and a great ride......lookin forward to the next one Andy! :2vrolijk_21:

West Coast GTG   

VANAMAL

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 SESG
    • CVO2: 2005 seeg banana

Hey ANDY- Mine looks good but yours is kinda hammered lookin :huepfenlol2:

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hey ANDY- Mine looks good but yours is kinda hammered lookin :huepfenlol2:
AT least now your giving me 3 to 1     and who says you get to pick anyhow
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)

Hey Andy...Can I come live in your Guest House and be the permanent Pool Boy?  I'll even keep your bikes all Glared up.   ;D
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

1sharprdkg

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 FLHTCUSE4 Screamin' Eagle Ultra Classic
    • CVO2: Not CVO 2003 Road King Classic (Wife's) Sold her 99'RKC (Tinman)

I agree with VANAMAL, WOW best pics yet. Are the yellow and red flowers growing wild on the roadside? I call them "Red Hot Pokers", don't know there real name. Never just "ran into" anything as NICE as the Raiderettes, they are all HOT! I'm OK with the hammered one!lol.
" Life is Tough, Life is Tougher if Your Stupid"... John Wayne.

ak

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hey Andy...Can I come live in your Guest House and be the permanent Pool Boy?  I'll even keep your bikes all Glared up.   ;D
I,ll tell my pool guy he has to start waxing my bike or he,s fired and your in. lol   
,04seeg,s 09 roadglide,09 ultra
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 25 queries.