Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Motorcycle Armor  (Read 4667 times)

philgrocks

Motorcycle Armor
« on: April 28, 2012, 04:53:56 PM »

I just got a motorcycle armor kit (www.motorcyclearmor.com) for my CVO Street Glide.  I have used similar products on my cars and thought I would protect the front forks.  I had fashioned my own protection for the lower part of the kit, but since they were cut by hand I thought I could do better with a kit.  I was wrong.

I did not have protection on the very top of the forks, so I started there.  I read the instructions, watched the video and found it to be very similar (perhaps exactly the same) as the method used to apply 3M products of like kind.  So I did one of the top forks.  It looked terrible.  I had no bubbles, but it did not look nice and shiny as the bottom forks looked.  I guess the sticky material was not stuck all of the way down.  I kept working it, but it did not seem to get better.

I then found some old 3M material I had used on an other project and cut a section the same size as in the kit and applied it.  This material looked great.

So I am going to order some of the 3M material and finish the job.  I would not buy this stuff again, very expensive and not as good as the 3M product.

Also for the lower part of the forks the very bottom is not long enough.  Too short by about 3/4".

FLHXSE3

• "Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

• CVO1: 2005 FLSTFI
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHX
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHXSE3
Re: Motorcycle Armor
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 05:39:05 PM »

Take a pic if you still have it on.  I was thinking about going that route.  I would love to see the 2 compared.

SE-5

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:02:23 PM »

I was thinking about some for the tops of my saddlebags, getting harder as the years pass by to clear that sucker without kicking it.

dmnrdn

• Avoid the 8P's
  • Full CVO Member
    • KS
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »

I am looking at going this route on my hard saddle bags.   http://www.hogcovers.com/
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 11:27:29 PM by dmnrdn »

philgrocks

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 10:52:08 PM »

Take a pic if you still have it on.  I was thinking about going that route.  I would love to see the 2 compared.

I was so disgusted, I took it off and put the 3M version on the other side.  I am going to order more 3M material from here http://www.invisiblemask.com/bulkfilm.htm and make my own!

Ghost Rider

• 1K CVO Member
  • EBCM # WHORE

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE2 Kermit
    • CVO2: 2015 Victory Ness Magnum #31 of 299
    • CVO3: 2013 Can-Am Spyder RTS
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 11:30:19 PM »

I am very surprised to hear this report. I have every piece of motorcycle armour they make on my streetglide and it works and looks great. I only use 3m in places you can't see like under the seat. Micheal and his team are great to work with I would at least give them a call and give them chance to make it right. Just my 2 cents

philgrocks

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 12:22:20 AM »

They must have gone cheap and are not using 3M now.  3M marks their product proudly with their 3M logo.  The product I got does not have the 3M mark.

kiwihog

• KIWIHOG
  • Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLTRUSE Rio Red & Black
    • CVO2: 2007 FXSTDi NON CVO
    • CVO3: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 12:33:27 AM »

I have Motorcycle Armor on tank, sidecovers, front fender, saddlebag tops and front.  and am very happy with them I will put it on the fairing as soon as it is available for the Roadglide. I dont think what Michael sells is 3M as it is designed to be taken off with relative ease for replacement didnt try putting on chrome I found they were great to deal with and am sure they would have tried to make it right if given the chance..I have put the 3M automotive product on hidden surfaces as it seems thicker and more easily seen.

Kiwi
Things I have had to buy because of this site 2.0 fullsac baffles, PV tuner, glare polish, floorboard extn, clearview w/shield, locking lower doors, motorcycle armour, bass ports in tourpac, Iron aces mount for Power Vision Tuner V&H Power duals
and not close to finished!!!

49445CVO

• 1K CVO Member
  • 06' FLHTCUSE Black Candy Crimson/Slate

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 09:19:22 AM »

I was so disgusted, I took it off and put the 3M version on the other side.  I am going to order more 3M material from here http://www.invisiblemask.com/bulkfilm.htm and make my own!

Wow I had no idea this stuff was so expensive
Why is it that I never seem to succeed the first time, unless I screwed up?

Buy early

• 5k CVO Member
  • My future if I were Benjamin Button

• CVO1: 2001 FXDWG2 Switchblade - The Beast
    • CVO2: 2004 FXSTDSE2 Deuce - Beauty
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »

Phil,

Might want to read thru this thread

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=56446.0;all

I have met Michael (owner of MA). He installed the product on my bike and I love it! The MA product is not and never was the 3M product (I have that on my car and love it).

My suggestion would be to PM Michael and explain your situation. There are a few threads on this forum where guys have had issues installing the film and MA has always gone out of their way to make it right by the customer. Give them that opportunity.

I wouldn't feel capable of installing the film myself. Just not that handy and you have to get this stuff on right for it to disappear like it should. When it is installed correctly, it's the bees knees!

Keep us posted on how it works out.

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 03:24:35 PM »

So I put this on my bags, tank and front fender.  The fender was a pain, but after working, working and did I say working it.... It eventually went on.  That being said I will be ordering other items, but I really wish they had the fairing.
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

2harleys

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE5 Burnt Amber/Hot Citrus
    • CVO2: FLSTFSE2 Wife's bike
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 12:12:12 AM »

Took mine to a place that does custom install with 3M product called Clear Bra. Had the fairing completely covered and front half of front fender done. They charged a total of $75.00.  I already did the Body Armor on the saddle bag lids. All look perfect and not detectable unless I point it out to someone.

HarlyFan

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 02:18:24 PM »

I just installed the armor on my ride, I did the fairing, front fender, LED headlight, side panels and the complete saddlebags including lids. I used a product by XPEL called the Ultimate which is a self healing product which has a 10 year warranty and because it is self healing will never show scratches. The bike turned out FANTASTIC!!! Would highly recommend!!!

SmokeyJoe

• 2012 RGC CVO
  • Elite CVO Member
    • MS

• CVO1: 2012 Road Glide
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 03:05:46 AM »

We're they precut or bulk?   Can you post a link where you bought the film?
FuelMotos exhaust and tuning, Ohlins Front/Rear

HarlyFan

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »

We're they precut or bulk?   Can you post a link where you bought the film?

They were precut and they have ALL pieces including Batwing and Shark Nose Fairings available. I will post a link they are just setting up a site. This product exceeds all expectations!!!

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 25 queries.