Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Springer front brake caliper upgrade ?  (Read 5367 times)

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
2008 Springer front brake caliper upgrade ?
« on: June 19, 2012, 03:22:58 AM »

Sorry from Perth Western Australia folks if this is a "well worn" topic . I'm all new to CVO's, but 17 years on Harleys here in Australia.

I'm looking at the single caliper on the front of the 2008 CVO Springer , and it looks to me like my old 1995 Dyna caliper ?

A single piston sliding caliper, like a 1970's Jap bike ! My 2008 FXSTC has a good stock brake, 4 piston caliper. I like that well enough.

My question is, is there a simple bolt on Caliper on the aftermarket, 2 piston or more , that fits up with no other modifications to brackets etc ?

I don't want to change brake lines or brackets if i can avoid it !

I know the 2009 CVO Springer has a multi piston caliper as stock but it doesn't look like it will swap right over ?

Brake manufacturer names and Kit details will be most appreciated.

Also any personal experience of doing the same.

No illegitimi carborundum

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Re: 2008 Springer front brake caliper upgrade ?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 04:26:27 PM »

There's a company called Hawg Halters. Check that out. 4 Piston Springer KitFK-SR-CC-100. hawghalters.com

Not sure if it fits an FXSTSSE2 due to wheel size. Owning one of these bikes, braking is pretty good. YOu can see if it fits the FXSTC.

Check out the wheel size to compare.
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 03:52:08 AM »

Carl mate, thanks I will look into that "Hawg halters" option .

I'm on the brink of buying a 2008 FXSTSSE2 either in Inferno Orange or Black Diamond , I have a choice of 2 !!

These are both in Melbourne, over 2000 miles away from me in Perth so it's a flight to see them I'm afraid.

Now riding a Springer CVO here in Australia was always VERY hard, as they were $60K  new here at the time.

Yes I know, hard to believe ! Especially at our current exchange rate of dollar for dollar pretty much .

Back then in 2008 it was closer to 65 US cents to our Aussie dollar, but recent "events" have made CVO's an affordable option here compared to 2007/2008.

Buying one ex-US at the mo' it still costs us from 25 to 30K to have one road registered in Australia. Shipping/duty/blah blah blah...

Back to the front brake. I'm sure what you say is good info, but I've just gotten used to the Brembo clone calipers on my 2008 FXSTC and don't want to go backwards ( so to speak !)

I'd also prefer to have an easy bolt on job to the FXSTSSE2, no bracket engineering or brain damage ensuing.

I will keep looking , and thanks again mate !  
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 03:57:43 AM by gmeikle »

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 07:04:35 AM »

I'm on the brink of buying a 2008 FXSTSSE2 either in Inferno Orange or Black Diamond , I have a choice of 2 !!

These are both in Melbourne, over 2000 miles away from me in Perth so it's a flight to see them I'm afraid.

I have seen the inferno and you can't go wrong with that colour, however the black looks good as well but comes down to personal preference. For me it would be the Inferno.
Are the bikes at HH?

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 09:45:53 AM »

To "Aussie"

No mate, they're both private sales.

And surprisingly they're both "Aussie" delivered from new. ( No pun intended mate !)

The relative deluge of grey import CVO's over the last 6 months has crashed the Australian residual values

There are over 30 CVO Springers for sale in Australia right now , market is super saturated mate !

Good for me but tough titty if you bought a new CVO at Australian retail price 4 years ago !

If I'm buying a "grey" then I'll buy it myself in the US !! I'm NOT giving any Australian "wise guy" $5K profit, no way Jose...

chit I was at Daytona bikeweek in 2011 and should have bought one then at $1.10 US to our Aussie shekel haha...

But I didn't !

Sorry , getting off topic , easy done...

I'd still like a bolt on 2 or more piston caliper Kit to go straight onto a 2008 FXSTSSE2 with the "big" 18 inch front wheel if anyone has any info ?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:50:04 AM by gmeikle »

Screamin Eagle Carl

• Livin' Large with Loud Pipes
  • Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 10:00:30 AM »

Hey there mate,

thought I'd share this for some inspiration:

Orange is the fastest colour!
2008 Harley Davidson FXSTSSE2 CVO Screamin' Eagle Softail Springer
Livin' Large

SEgle

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: FXSTSSE3. Deweys Pro Street Heads, Fueling 574 Reaper cam, Smith Bros Adj Push Rods, Woods directional Night Prowler Lifters, Cometic 0.03" Head gasket, D & D Low Cat, SEST, SE Clutch Spring & AIM VPC92T Clutch kit.
    • CVO2: '76 FXE LIberty
    • CVO3: '68 GTO

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 09:06:26 AM »

Segle mate, thanks for the contact, but I think we've corresponded already maybe !

The 2 bikes I'm most interested in are Aussie delivered from new, both being sold privately by the first and only owner.

Both could also be bought for a tad under $30K Australian. Now that's a sign of the times indeedy.

Those guys paid high $50's + 4 years ago !!

Sorry "off-topic" again...

Any news from anybody on a bolt on caliper kit for a 2008 CVO Springer FXSTSSE2 ?

tjp

• 08 FXSTSSE2
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 04:22:36 PM »

Check out this thread:  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=41938.0

Apparently the Performance Machine Direct Bolt-on 4 Piston Front Brake Caliper will work on the 2008, with some additional mounting bolts.

Which is a little odd given the description indicates this will not fit FXSTS....so if you try it make sure there is a good return policy!

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »

tjp Thanks mate i will look into that.

Just today missed a 2008 FXSTSSE2 in my home state of Western Australia today.

Looks like I have a 2000 mile flight weekend after next...

Bike will have to be trucked back across Australia as it's winter here with LOTS of rain and flooding !

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 24 queries.