Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Check engine light....with "limp mode" after  (Read 16408 times)

insp737

Check engine light....with "limp mode" after
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:05:47 PM »

Gentlemen!
   Just returned from Sturgis with a total trip of 3681.3 miles in 6 days. From Ohio to museum,Sturgis,Nebraska,Colorado,Kansas, Missouri, and back to Mid-Ohio....My only problem and it's a problem that everyone should look into!!!! After gas and in the deep woods of Missouri at 2am my "check Engine" light illuminated and went into "limp mode" (one cylinder and 1500rpm max which gave me about 20mph in 2nd. gear!) Was lucky enough to have had friend show my how to get to diagnostics on thge speedo! Two codes...1151="limp mode" 1123=throttle psotion sensor.... After reset I could go about 20 miles before it would shut down again. 100 miles to Ozark HD in Lebanon Misssouri were awesome...They got me in their packed schedule to get me on the road! The tech handed me two broken wires from the throttle position connector (located behind your air cleaner) They said HD knows about the problem and has yet to send a service bulletin or recall. The wiring is routed to tight and vibration will break or loosen these pins/wires in the connector! I'm so glad I wasn't on the interstate running in traffic when this happened!! I guess someone will have to get critically injured before something is done? I'm going to fill out a NTSB report to get the ball rolling!!....safe travels!!

insp737

Re: Check engine light....with "limp mode" after
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 08:07:47 PM »

Forgot....bike is 2012 "Hot Citrus" Streetglide CVO....problem happened at approx. 13,000miles.

smkymtnboy

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • TN

• CVO1: flhxse
    • CVO2: flhtcuse5
    • CVO3: flhtcuse6
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 08:16:20 PM »

Gentlemen!
   Just returned from Sturgis with a total trip of 3681.3 miles in 6 days. From Ohio to museum,Sturgis,Nebraska,Colorado,Kansas, Missouri, and back to Mid-Ohio....My only problem and it's a problem that everyone should look into!!!! After gas and in the deep woods of Missouri at 2am my "check Engine" light illuminated and went into "limp mode" (one cylinder and 1500rpm max which gave me about 20mph in 2nd. gear!) Was lucky enough to have had friend show my how to get to diagnostics on thge speedo! Two codes...1151="limp mode" 1123=throttle psotion sensor.... After reset I could go about 20 miles before it would shut down again. 100 miles to Ozark HD in Lebanon Misssouri were awesome...They got me in their packed schedule to get me on the road! The tech handed me two broken wires from the throttle position connector (located behind your air cleaner) They said HD knows about the problem and has yet to send a service bulletin or recall. The wiring is routed to tight and vibration will break or loosen these pins/wires in the connector! I'm so glad I wasn't on the interstate running in traffic when this happened!! I guess someone will have to get critically injured before something is done? I'm going to fill out a NTSB report to get the ball rolling!!....safe travels!!
what is the procedure for getting bike out of limp mode?

michaelbmenaker

• Elite CVO Member
  • Ride hard, ride safe!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 09:02:18 PM »

Exactly the same problem on my '10 SESG in September 2010. But, I was stranded in CA twice and the dealer there never diagnosed it. Two tows and ended up shipping the bike and flying home. My dealer in CO found it in a couple of hours. Oh, I mine died in the fast lane of an LA freeway. Yikes! (Oh, btw, no "engine check light" for me.)

ChiTracker

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 10:16:35 PM »

Same problem while at Sturgis.  Was leaving deadwood and somewhere between Sundance and nowhere it was like the kill switch was hit but the bike was still running. Had to be towed into Sundance HD where i received the absolute worst service in my history.  After 8 hours they finally got around to my bike 2012 FLHXSE3. Could not diagnosis the trouble. They expected me to just wait a few days. They provided no help with lodging or any hospitality. I had to call a friend in Milwaukee at HD. The dealership actually closed up shop and left me standing around. A rep was sent out the next morning and replaced the entire throttle body. I had codes 1511 and 2135. I know i was not the only one with this experience at Sundance i was there with a hundred other riders who could not believe the dealership.
Even with bad service i had a blast 3200 miles Chicago to Deadwood and back with some great riding in between.
MOCO came through, but Chuck/owner Deluxe HD of Wyoming can bite me.

insp737

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 05:41:16 AM »

what is the procedure for getting bike out of limp mode?
Press your odometer button while turning on the key...Both your Tach and Speedo will go to full deflection singnaling that your in diagnostic mode. pushing the button again will cycle you through several codes of opperation. The first letter code is "P", hold the odometer button down again and it will give you the codes. By pressing again it will let you  clear the codes unless the ciode is a "hard" fault. Such as my broken wire....My wires were loose first, hence I could clear the codes....but after about 50 miles they broke and "limp mode" was constant....

FLY-DOG

• 1K CVO Member
  • U.S. Navy (30 years); Delta Air Lines (22 years)
    • FL

• CVO1: FLHXSE3
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 07:21:40 PM »

Holy smokes that's not good as any of us could get killed given the wrong set of circumstances.  Hope MOCO comes up with a recall fix soon!!
Current Stable:
2021 BMW R1250 GSA Rallye
2016 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited w/392 Hemi
2012 CVO Street Glide
2007 Mustang GT500
2006 YZ250F

Chainsaw

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 07:46:37 PM »

The moco has had a problem this for a while.  First they blamed it on the connector that plugs into the throttlebody behind your air cleaner, but only after months of people having the same problems you encountered.  The new part number that is supposed to fix it is 72663-11, however they never officially did a recall.  This if the first I've read about the broken wires.  If you guys are still having the problems on 2012 bikes, well then obviously it wasn't the connector if there are bikes out there still doing it.

I myself have been fighting this since late 2009.  My bike has done it over 2 dozen times,.. sometimes sitting in the driveway, sometimes passing 18 wheelers on the interstate doing 85mph.  Sometimes I just pull over and shut the bike off, wait 30 seconds and Im off again.  Sometimes its an hour before the damn thing decides to go again, but Its never left me stranded.  Every time pisses me off and Harley won't admit there is a problem, but as you can see here there is a problem.  I guess its going to take someone getting killed before they do a recall or look into why its happening.  I have found that if you unplug it from your throttle body, then replug it in most times it will start up and work fine.  Also smacking the end of the handlebar on the grip has worked for me, but I think it helped relieve tension more then anything.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:23:13 PM »

This has been going on since they came out with the electronic throttle control in '08, and obviously they still have a problem after five years.  Not surprising to me, considering all the other stuff they've never really fixed over the years.  But if I were one of you guys still fighting this problem, I do believe I'd escalate this beyond the local dealer and the morons at Harley customer disservice.  It is a safety related defect under the definition of such defects, and if we were talking about an automobile company this crap would have been recalled four years ago.  Somehow Harley has gotten a free pass again from NHTSA, but perhaps that is because none of the victims have filed complaints.  I'd suggest you do so.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Chainsaw

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:52:03 PM »

This has been going on since they came out with the electronic throttle control in '08, and obviously they still have a problem after five years.  Not surprising to me, considering all the other stuff they've never really fixed over the years.  But if I were one of you guys still fighting this problem, I do believe I'd escalate this beyond the local dealer and the morons at Harley customer disservice.  It is a safety related defect under the definition of such defects, and if we were talking about an automobile company this crap would have been recalled four years ago.  Somehow Harley has gotten a free pass again from NHTSA, but perhaps that is because none of the victims have filed complaints.  I'd suggest you do so.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Jerry

Your right, this is something I need to look into.  I just keep hoping sometime my bike will go into limp mode, when Im in front of an Indian dealer  :2vrolijk_21:

hbens

• Full CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE Candy Cobalt/Starlight Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2012 SESG Ruby Red/Typhoon Maroon
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »

My brother's 2010 Ultra does the same thing. While riding he can jiggle the connector and it would get moving again. He just cut 1" or so off the wires and added at least 1.5" more for strain relief. This first happened a year ago while we were on the way to Sturgis.
Maybe it's the month of August that is a problem?
Motorcycling is not, of itself, inherently dangerous. It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity!

Dragula 2 into 1, S&S 640 EZ start cams pistons (10.8 compression) flywheel and Timken bearing, Vee Twin Racing Stage IV ported heads, K&N air cleaner, Power Vision with WBO2 auto tuner, king tour pak, solo & two up mounts, pass. floor boards, Headwinds spot/turn signal lights, zumo 660 GPS, ssaddlebag guard & pouches, Progress Suspension cartridg

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 12:19:50 PM »

Press your odometer button while turning on the key...Both your Tach and Speedo will go to full deflection signaling that your in diagnostic mode. pushing the button again will cycle you through several codes of operation. The first letter code is "P", hold the odometer button down again and it will give you the codes. By pressing again it will let you  clear the codes unless the code is a "hard" fault. Such as my broken wire....My wires were loose first, hence I could clear the codes....but after about 50 miles they broke and "limp mode" was constant....
Don't think that really does anything other than clearing the DTCs from the history.  Friend has had similar problems.  If cycling the ignition off / on does not get things going again he has pulled the main fuse which is located behind the left side cover.  By removing power to the ECM it has reset itself and bike has run OK - well at least until it happens again, lol.

I told him about this thread and to have his bike checked.  His twist grip sensor was replaced last year in an attempt to correct this problem.  But obviously something else is going on since it has recurred several times.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

flyin-r

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 10:27:14 AM »

There's a service bulletin out now. Cut and remove the "Christmas tree" wire tie and let the wire harness hang (or replace the O.E.M. tie with a loose one to keep the harness from contacting the cooling fins). This will eliminate the sharp and tight bend which adds to the possibility of broken wires. Pack the connector with dielectric grease to reduce fretting on the pins. New pin connectors are now available with a special coating to reduce or eliminate the fretting. I would suggest that every owner of Harleys equipped with electronic throttles perform this service. The service manager at my local Chevy store told me that they are having the same connector pin problem with Chevy trucks, so it's not just us.

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2012, 09:22:16 PM »

There's a service bulletin out now. Cut and remove the "Christmas tree" wire tie and let the wire harness hang (or replace the O.E.M. tie with a loose one to keep the harness from contacting the cooling fins). This will eliminate the sharp and tight bend which adds to the possibility of broken wires. Pack the connector with dielectric grease to reduce fretting on the pins. New pin connectors are now available with a special coating to reduce or eliminate the fretting. I would suggest that every owner of Harleys equipped with electronic throttles perform this service. The service manager at my local Chevy store told me that they are having the same connector pin problem with Chevy trucks, so it's not just us.

Have you got a copy of the service bulletin we can download

flyin-r

• Junior CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2010 FLHXSE Spiced Rum
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2012, 09:35:07 PM »

No, the service writer at my local HD shop just read it to me off their computer after I had the "limp mode" problem.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 24 queries.