Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Author Topic: Changed amp better sound  (Read 12337 times)

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
Changed amp better sound
« on: September 19, 2012, 02:23:38 AM »

So after changing pipes to V&H I could no longer hear my music going down the road, throw on a helmet and it all disappears.  So I decided to try something different, I bypassed the stock amp and added a boss amp that says 300 watts max.  If I get 75 or so I will be very happy.  I mounted the amp behind the headlight, as you can see in the pics.   I'm happy with the results of the install, will be doing a right in the morning to hear the difference.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Panhead Paul

• Junior CVO Member
Re: Changed amp better sound
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 05:52:08 PM »

My little Sons of Anchovies fairing has been hanging on the wall in the garage since about 5 minutes after I got home with the bike the first time.

RCFlyer

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2010 Softail Convertible

• CVO1: 2010 SE Softail Covertible
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 08:03:11 AM »

So how does it sound?  Does it cut through the wind noise and helmet?  I'm thinking of adding speakers and amp to my 2010.  I already have the 2012 windshield and Zumo.
1947 Flat Head 80
1947 Knuckle Head
1963 Sportster
1971 Superglide
1978 Low Rider
1989 Ultra Classic
1996 Road King

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
Re: Re: Changed amp better sound
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:40:16 PM »

It sounds great.  I  also upgraded the speakers to Polk 3.5".  I can hear it doing 70+ with full face helmet

sjr

• Full CVO Member
  • The hotter the Fire.....The Stronger the Steel
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 04:33:44 PM »

Which Polk speakers did you use?
They have 2 listed on their website.
did they just fit right in...no cutting or fabricating needed?

TxDrifter

• Junior CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2012 FLSTSE3
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 08:08:00 PM »

My guess would be a marine version.  There is only one of those on the Polk Audio site.  Several others for sale.  I would be curious to know this myself.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 10:05:13 PM »

The speakers are
Polk DB 351

Yes I did had to modify them a little and need to do some more, but I was in a hurry to get them in and try it out.

Henry
2011 CVO Softail Convertible

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 10:08:19 PM »

I got them for $48 on amazon

Henry
2011 CVO Softail Convertible

Lever

• 1K CVO Member
  • keep the rubber side down
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 07:04:09 AM »

for what its worth i have this system nib  for sale  decided not to put on my bike
http://www.uniqcycle.com/classic-motorcycle-speakers.html
2010 CVO Convertible  crimson red sunglo/Autumn Haze with Metal Grind Graphics
2014 113  motor 10.8 compression
SAE smoothing #5  125.7 hp / 122.9 tq
2017 Road King M8
stage IV

brr5

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 flstse2
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 05:54:34 PM »

I also upgraded to the Polk speakers. Did a little cutting on the ears that stick out for the screws and I think I have only 2 screws per speaker now, but they work fine that way, and the improvement in sound is  :smitten:
Bob

SteveO

• Full CVO Member

• CVO2: 2008 FLHTCUSE3
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 08:19:57 PM »

I think mine sounds fine, after about 55 MPH you cant hear it anyway, especially if you have aftermarket pipes.

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 07:49:19 PM »

The speakers are
Polk DB 351

Yes I did had to modify them a little and need to do some more, but I was in a hurry to get them in and try it out.

I bought a pair of Polk db351`s and had trouble getting them to fit in my 2012 Softail Convertible fairing.  I cut the tabs down but when I push them into the enclosure there is a space around the diameter of the speaker, so I do not get the bass response I wanted.  Also, the large magnets were hitting the back side of the enclosure.  I could only get one of the original mounting screws on the speaker tab...the opposite side tab does not line up with the screw hole. Did you fabricate a ring to mount the speakers and make a good seal to the original enclosure?  This may work but you didn`t mention having to do this...I would appreciate any tips you have to make this work. Thanks!

brr5

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 11:50:09 AM »

If I remember correctly I bent the ears up and had to rotate the speakers several times until I could getr the speaker to fit inside without hitting.
When the speaker fit fine and I had two holes lined up I needed to trim both ears and I cut the 3rd one off altogether. The screen fit back on with no problem and the chrome bezel locked into place as well.
I don't think there is a difference in the fairing between the '11 and '12 but if there is maybe that is the cause of the problem.
Bob

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »

The Polk dB351 speakers I bought have only tow "ears" on them and they are 180 degrees apart, so only one will line up with a hole.  Am I correct that the Polk speakers you installed had three mounting tabs?

brr5

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »

Thease are the speakers I used-------------------- And they do only have 2 ears not three (I must be getting really really old!)  :oops:

Polk Audio DXi350 speakers with a 3 1/2 inch magnet.
Details are:

3-1/2" 2-way car speakers (pair)
polymer/mica composite woofer with butyl rubber surround
1/2" liquid-cooled silk/polymer composite dome tweeter
Neodymium tweeter magnet
built-in 2-way crossover network
certified for marine use
includes a pair of 200 Hz bass blockers
power range: 2-35 watts RMS (105 watts peak power)
frequency response: 90-22,000 Hz
sensitivity: 91 dB
top-mount depth: 1-9/16"

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 07:14:10 PM »

Thanks for the info....I`m going to make an adapter ring out of abs plastic to try to adapt the polk for a three hole mounting.  I want these speakers in my fairing but I want to have a tight seal around the speaker perimeter for good bass response.

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 12:41:44 AM »

I am going to try to squeeze some 4" speakers in there.  That is my next project.

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »

Over the weekend I made some abs plastic rings to adapt the Polk 3 1/2 in speakers to fit in the fairing and replace the OEM made in China speakers.  It sounds good, but the Polks could use a bit more power to really come alive.  I ordered a small 50 watt digital amp from CycleSounds which should mount inside the fairing in place of the OEM 20 watt amp.  Once in place, the fairing will look completely stock but have the upgraded speakers and 50 Watt amp.  I`ll let you know how it goes when I get the new amp installed.........

ejvette

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 07:42:40 AM »

Over the weekend I made some abs plastic rings to adapt the Polk 3 1/2 in speakers to fit in the fairing and replace the OEM made in China speakers.  It sounds good, but the Polks could use a bit more power to really come alive.  I ordered a small 50 watt digital amp from CycleSounds which should mount inside the fairing in place of the OEM 20 watt amp.  Once in place, the fairing will look completely stock but have the upgraded speakers and 50 Watt amp.  I`ll let you know how it goes when I get the new amp installed.........

Post up pics on how this is done!

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.(W. Churchill)

12 CVO Convertible Satin Pewter
09 Deluxe Vivid Black-Sold

1998 Corvette 500HP
1970 Chevelle SS454 M22 Rock Crusher

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »

I`m sorry I don`t have pictures,  but I got the new speakers and 50 watt amp in and here is what I did:
I bought an ABS plastic sheet from Autotoys.com (their #SKU_7435).  I cut out 2 rings using a 4 in and a 3 1/8 in hole saw.  My local hardware store had hole saws of this exact dimension.  Once I had 2 rings with an outside dia of 4 in and an inside dia of 3 1/8 in,  I drilled holes for the speaker mounting screws using the OEM speakers which I had out as a template.  There is a little notch to cut also.  Watch that the location of the notch and holes will result in the wire connection posts on the new speakers to be in the same postion as the original speakers.  I also cut 2 rings made of thin gasket material to match the plastic rings I made.  I glued the rings to the backside of the Polk DB351`s and glued the gasket material rings to the back side of the plastic rings.  The speakers will now fit with a little bit of pushing and playing around in place of the OEM speakers.  For the amp install,  it helps greatly to have the 2012 FLSTSE3 specific service manual which has exploded diagrams so you can completely disassemble the windshield and fairing which will give you access to the inside of the speaker box.  The 50 watt amp is from CycleSounds.com.  I cut the wires coming out of the OEM amp and removed it.  You also have to cut the wire bundle that goes to the OEM power/volume control.  NOTE:  after this new amp install the OEM power and volume control will not function.  The new amp has no power switch or volume controls.  You will have to control the volume directly on the GPS unit or Ipod if using an Ipod, and the amp is designed to be powered  on all the time whenever the bike is running.  (Cycle Sounds is going to make a volume control that mounts on the handlebar switch housing in a few months, which I will add later).  I then spliced and soldered the new amp power and speaker wires to the original wires.  Be careful to leave in place the connector and wires that power the GPS unit.  The new amp is a tad larger than the original and I was sweating it out as to whether the new amp would mount where the original was.  If you push the new amp with the wire bundle coming out of it aiming *down* into the space, you can get the new amp in as deep as possible and zip tie it in place through the original amp mounting screw holes. Just  zip tie around the body of the new amp and pull the zip tie tight.  Using the service manual and a helper,  reassemble the whole fairing and windshield in the reverse order of disassembly.
Once all is done,  the fairing will look completely stock and still use the original wire and connector that goes from the fairing to the bike.  I must say I like the improvement of sound and volume over the stock set up... when the handlebar switch housing volume control from CycleSounds is available, I`m going to install that and everything will be  :)  Feel free to private message me if you need any more advice!

ejvette

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2013, 07:48:17 AM »

I`m sorry I don`t have pictures,  but I got the new speakers and 50 watt amp in and here is what I did:
I bought an ABS plastic sheet from Autotoys.com (their #SKU_7435).  I cut out 2 rings using a 4 in and a 3 1/8 in hole saw.  My local hardware store had hole saws of this exact dimension.  Once I had 2 rings with an outside dia of 4 in and an inside dia of 3 1/8 in,  I drilled holes for the speaker mounting screws using the OEM speakers which I had out as a template.  There is a little notch to cut also.  Watch that the location of the notch and holes will result in the wire connection posts on the new speakers to be in the same postion as the original speakers.  I also cut 2 rings made of thin gasket material to match the plastic rings I made.  I glued the rings to the backside of the Polk DB351`s and glued the gasket material rings to the back side of the plastic rings.  The speakers will now fit with a little bit of pushing and playing around in place of the OEM speakers.  For the amp install,  it helps greatly to have the 2012 FLSTSE3 specific service manual which has exploded diagrams so you can completely disassemble the windshield and fairing which will give you access to the inside of the speaker box.  The 50 watt amp is from CycleSounds.com.  I cut the wires coming out of the OEM amp and removed it.  You also have to cut the wire bundle that goes to the OEM power/volume control.  NOTE:  after this new amp install the OEM power and volume control will not function.  The new amp has no power switch or volume controls.  You will have to control the volume directly on the GPS unit or Ipod if using an Ipod, and the amp is designed to be powered  on all the time whenever the bike is running.  (Cycle Sounds is going to make a volume control that mounts on the handlebar switch housing in a few months, which I will add later).  I then spliced and soldered the new amp power and speaker wires to the original wires.  Be careful to leave in place the connector and wires that power the GPS unit.  The new amp is a tad larger than the original and I was sweating it out as to whether the new amp would mount where the original was.  If you push the new amp with the wire bundle coming out of it aiming *down* into the space, you can get the new amp in as deep as possible and zip tie it in place through the original amp mounting screw holes. Just  zip tie around the body of the new amp and pull the zip tie tight.  Using the service manual and a helper,  reassemble the whole fairing and windshield in the reverse order of disassembly.
Once all is done,  the fairing will look completely stock and still use the original wire and connector that goes from the fairing to the bike.  I must say I like the improvement of sound and volume over the stock set up... when the handlebar switch housing volume control from CycleSounds is available, I`m going to install that and everything will be  :)  Feel free to private message me if you need any more advice!

I ordered the polks from crutchfield they were on sale $29 free shipping and the ABS material to make the mounting ring adapters going to tackle this in a few weeks.  So sick of the distorted sound from the OEM speakers willing to try anything right now.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.(W. Churchill)

1998 Corvette 500HP

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2013, 09:33:00 AM »

Hi ejvette...Something to try if you want...I was not happy with the ABS  plastic rings I made because their thickness made using the stock grills and chrome trim rings impossible to put back on.  What I ended up doing and am very happy with is this - I pulled the tweeters off each of my Harley stock speakers (they just pull off from the main speaker and you cut the wires to them) and very slowly carefully used a dremel tool with a circular disc cutting tool to cut around the edge of the speaker on the *back* side.  I went around and around a little at a time, rotating the speaker  holding it by the magnet  until the outer ring separated from the speaker.  Now you have the original ring which you can epoxy to the back side of the Polks.  It is actually faster than fabricating rings using ABS plastic.  Be careful to get the little notch in the right location.  Now the Polks mount just like the stock speakers and everything is beautiful.  Feel free to private message me if you have questions...I am very pleased with my results, but it took a lot of trial and error that I may be able to spare you of.  Good luck!

ejvette

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2013, 04:02:56 PM »

Hi ejvette...Something to try if you want...I was not happy with the ABS  plastic rings I made because their thickness made using the stock grills and chrome trim rings impossible to put back on.  What I ended up doing and am very happy with is this - I pulled the tweeters off each of my Harley stock speakers (they just pull off from the main speaker and you cut the wires to them) and very slowly carefully used a dremel tool with a circular disc cutting tool to cut around the edge of the speaker on the *back* side.  I went around and around a little at a time, rotating the speaker  holding it by the magnet  until the outer ring separated from the speaker.  Now you have the original ring which you can epoxy to the back side of the Polks.  It is actually faster than fabricating rings using ABS plastic.  Be careful to get the little notch in the right location.  Now the Polks mount just like the stock speakers and everything is beautiful.  Feel free to private message me if you have questions...I am very pleased with my results, but it took a lot of trial and error that I may be able to spare you of.  Good luck!

Now you tell me after i ordered the ABS lol thanks sounds like you saved me some agrivation!

1998 Corvette 500HP

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2013, 04:22:52 PM »

sorry you ordered the ABS...when I made my post it was what I used,  and later I took the speakers out again.  This project was a *LOT* of trial and error!  I must have had the speakers in and out again 4 times before I found what I think is the best way.  Hopefully the ABS didn`t cost you too much........message me if you have questions....

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO1: FLSTSE3 - CVO Softail Convertible, 2012
    • CVO2: HD Custom Softail Heritage (Sold)
    • CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »

I'm watching this post with great anticipation! after fitting the Rinehart Crossbacks i cant hear the stock sound system at all!!!
Better to Reign in Hell than serve in Heaven!
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

ejvette

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 05:30:36 PM »

I installed the polk speakers tremendous sound improvement.  The stock speakers look like pieces of crap against the polks.  But this install is by no means clean and easy. The polks are a little smaller in diameter hence theres no longer a moisture seal.  To fit the right speaker I had to hack out a small piece of the internal compartment for the larger magnet to fit. I trimmed the tabs on the polks just enough to snugly fit them in the opening.  You can align 1 tab with a screw hole and use the speaker cover basically to secure it with the other 2 screws.  Kinda jury rigged but it works. Looks completely stock when finished but huge improvement in sound.

1998 Corvette 500HP

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »

You will not have a good bass sound if you have space around the speakers where they mount....I found this out the hard way too.  Did you think about cutting the surrounding rings off the stock speakers and epoxying them to the back side of the polks like I ended up doing?  This worked well for me.  I didn`t have to cut anything to allow room for the magnets,  but I did manipulate the internal wire harness for the GPS and it was tight....

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

• CVO3: BSA Rocket Gold Star 1963 (In Storage!) Ducati 1098 s (Sold) 999 (Sold) 916 (Sold) 916 (Crashed) 749 (Sold) Lots of Jap Racing Bikes!
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2013, 06:44:58 AM »

I installed the Polk speakers tremendous sound improvement.  The stock speakers look like pieces of crap against the Polk's.  But this install is by no means clean and easy. The Polk's are a little smaller in diameter hence theres no longer a moisture seal.  To fit the right speaker I had to hack out a small piece of the internal compartment for the larger magnet to fit. I trimmed the tabs on the Polk's just enough to snugly fit them in the opening.  You can align 1 tab with a screw hole and use the speaker cover basically to secure it with the other 2 screws.  Kinda jury rigged but it works. Looks completely stock when finished but huge improvement in sound.
Do you have any photos of the install?
Is it still running off the HD amp or did you change that also?
Rinehart Crossback Exhaust-SEPST-HD Mustache Engine Guards-HD Flush Fuel Caps-RSD Clarity Cam Cover-RSD Clarity Derby Cover-WPW Cooling Fans-PM Merc Horn Cover-UsKoolines HP XS Ignition Leads-HD Black Daymaker Headlight-HD Premium Oil Cooler-HD Smoked Billet Turn Signals-SE VPC-SE Cam Plate-Arlen Ness Oil Pressure Gauge-Braided Fuel Crossover

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2013, 07:39:58 AM »

I`m sorry I don`t have photos of my install.  It looks completely stock after finished.  Cutting the surrounding rings off the OEM speakers and epoxying them to the Polk speakers was something I wish I had thought of earlier (in fact, I screwed up once and had to purchase a new OEM speaker from Harley just so I could cut the outer ring off of it!).  I replaced the OEM amp with the Cycle Sounds digital amp.  It is very close to the dimensions of the stock amp but more power.  I used a zip tie to secure it through the original amp mounting holes.  It was a really tight fit but I did manage to squeeze it in there.  The only thing some folks may not be happy with is that I had to cut the wires to the OEM power and volume controls, so they do not function now.  I control the volume with the IPOD or with the GPS unit when I`m using it. You also get EQ/tone control on the ipod this way also.  I put velcro on the back of the ipod and on the plastic cover for the GPS mount so I can place the Ipod on the Gps mount when I want music but no GPS...works great.  If I can be of any help don`t hesitate to contact me.  This job took me several attempts to finally figure what would be best and I had the fairing and the housing for the stereo system off and on several times before I was finally happy.  Frankly I got so tired of doing and re-doing it that I didn`t have the patience to take photos, but I am very happy with the results.  PM me if you need to talk more......good luck!

ejvette

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2013, 09:59:19 AM »

Do you have any photos of the install?
Is it still running off the HD amp or did you change that also?

No I kept the stock amp just the speaker change alone was a great improvement but cpm is right the bass is lacking with the gap around the ring.

1998 Corvette 500HP

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 11:44:26 AM »

It sounds great.  I  also upgraded the speakers to Polk 3.5".  I can hear it doing 70+ with full face helmet

A couple of questions?
What size (Max dimensions of the Amp can you get behind the folks)
How do you control the volume?
What are the actual dimensions of the Stock amp?
Now you guys have done the hard work I'm just trying to find the best parts available!
Already ordered the Polk DXi 351 Speakers and also considering the Polk DXi 1001 1 inch tweeters to sit to the outsides of the speakers, they will fit nicely and are top mounted so dont cause a problem with depth!
Thanks,
Charlie
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 11:58:45 AM by Charlie »

cpm83

• Junior CVO Member

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2013, 01:01:26 PM »

The stock 20 watt amp is between 4 1/16 and 4 1/8 long by 1 3/4 wide by 1 1/8 height in inches.  It is mounted inside the sound system box.  The Cycle Sounds amp is very slightly larger but it can be pushed into the space for the stock amp and zip tied in place.  I control the volume directly on the Ipod or the GPS unit, depending on which I am using.  You could use a larger amp if you want to mount it outside of the sound system enclosure somewhere else.

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2013, 10:10:10 PM »

The stock 20 watt amp is between 4 1/16 and 4 1/8 long by 1 3/4 wide by 1 1/8 height in inches.  It is mounted inside the sound system box.  The Cycle Sounds amp is very slightly larger but it can be pushed into the space for the stock amp and zip tied in place.  I control the volume directly on the Ipod or the GPS unit, depending on which I am using.  You could use a larger amp if you want to mount it outside of the sound system enclosure somewhere else.
Cant find the amp on cycle sounds! just sent them an email to see what they have available!

Charlie

• 1K CVO Member
  • Blood Diamond, FLSTES3

« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2013, 11:59:49 PM »

So after changing pipes to V&H I could no longer hear my music going down the road, throw on a helmet and it all disappears.  So I decided to try something different, I bypassed the stock amp and added a boss amp that says 300 watts max.  If I get 75 or so I will be very happy.  I mounted the amp behind the headlight, as you can see in the pics.   I'm happy with the results of the install, will be doing a right in the morning to hear the difference.

What model amp was that you used? and is that a volume control i see?

Henrycm

• Full CVO Member
    • Sunny Spirits
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »

I dont remember the brand of amp. Just got somethkng off ebay to try this out.  And yes that is a volume control.   Seems to work fine and have not had any problems.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DeShark

• CVO1: 2012 CVO Softail Convertible FLSTSE3 Abyss Blue
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 04:35:52 PM »

Why did you guys use 3.5" speakers. Aren't the original speakers 4" speakers?
Thanks,
DeShark
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]

Page created in 0.246 seconds with 24 queries.