Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Road Tech 665 Streetglide Install Questions  (Read 5672 times)

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

Road Tech 665 Streetglide Install Questions
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:04:50 PM »

Thank you to all of you that have contributed to this aspect of the forum. My hat (helmet) is off to you guys that know how to do all of this electronic stuff!
I am, on the other hand, "challenged" on this. All of the different scenarios have me just a bit confused as there are some that are a bit different for different applications. I thought that I would start this one strictly for 11 and 12 CVO street glides since the mother ship was nice enough to leave out the wiring harness that we need!

First here is what I am shooting for with my application.
I would like the 665 for XM and weather radar and the turn-by-turn to interrupt Xm, Ipod etc. on my speakers.
It does!
It would be nice to have the HK recognise the XM on the radio itself instead of using aux.
It still shows as aux and station controls have to be done on the 665. The only down side :(
I would really not like to have the patch cable plugged into the front of the dash.
Did the aux to the rear of radio. Works fine but you need a good magnifier glass!
I will not need CB etc.  Intercom would be nice but the overlay looks pretty difficult for our CVO SG's.
I have read everything that I can find here on the subject and perhaps that is my problem!! I see that one diagram shows using the wires from the garmin, adding a plug and splitting four wires to the Ipod and three to the radio 35 pin. Another shows using the NIM, cutting a plug off of that and splicing 4 wires to Ipod and two to the radio 35 pin.   This is the one that worked for me. http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=53364.0;attach=202195

Which of these would accomplish what I want to do?

Is there a need for the NIM for what I am doing?
Yes!

Does the NIM kit have mounting brackets that I need?
Yes.

Will I still have to use the patch cable?
Yes. See posts below.
I have no problem splicing and soldering the wiring in permanently but I'm a little concerned about working inside the radio itself.
I got out my big boy pants and went for it! Works great! The part to remove is about the size of one of those tiny seed ticks!!Please be patient, I know all of this is second nature for some of you!! I can do the work, follow instructions, I just need specific instructions for my situation.
THANKS!        
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:01:19 PM by brassspike »
RETIRED! :fireman:

Midnight Rider

• AKA: TCnBham
  • 10K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2011 SERGU Rio Red (sold)
Re: Road Tech 665 Streetglide Install Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:39:05 PM »

I can't answer all the questions about the wiring, but I can answer some of your others.  But all this has been done before, even though HD says it can't be.

If you want the GPS turn by turn directions to come through your stereo system, no matter what mode (AM/FM/CD/XM/Ipod) it's in, you MUST have the NIM interface.

The 665 has it's own XM antenna, used for XM and the radar functions.  If you want to play the 665's XM functions (or MP3 functions) there is no way to do that without a stereo patch cord and having the mode on the radio set to the AUX position...you would then also get the turn by turn prompts, all coming through the AUX input.  You can go into the radio and install an AUX input on the back of the radio so that you don't have the patch cord on the front of the radio for cosmetic reasons.  That's been done since 2006 on the HK radio by some of us when we used the Garmin 28xx series GPS units.
Sometimes it takes a whole tankful of fuel before you can think straight.
I had the right to remain silent, just not the ability...

Gone, but not forgotten...2011 FLTRUSE with
Fullsac X Pipe w/2" Baffles
Legend Air Ride Rear Shocks
Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 Front Suspension
Clearview GT13 Windshield
TTS Mastertune

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 12:02:24 AM »

I can't answer all the questions about the wiring, but I can answer some of your others.  But all this has been done before, even though HD says it can't be.

If you want the GPS turn by turn directions to come through your stereo system, no matter what mode (AM/FM/CD/XM/Ipod) it's in, you MUST have the NIM interface.

The 665 has it's own XM antenna, used for XM and the radar functions.  If you want to play the 665's XM functions (or MP3 functions) there is no way to do that without a stereo patch cord and having the mode on the radio set to the AUX position...you would then also get the turn by turn prompts, all coming through the AUX input.  You can go into the radio and install an AUX input on the back of the radio so that you don't have the patch cord on the front of the radio for cosmetic reasons.  That's been done since 2006 on the HK radio by some of us when we used the Garmin 28xx series GPS units.
Thanks MR, I found the thread for the radio mod. I think that I can handle that. Did you use the NIM kit that looks like it has brackets for the XM antenna?
Hopefully someone will clear me up on which way to go with the wiring and I'll be set!

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 10:42:23 PM »

Thanks for your reply Midnight Rider I have it all done now. Since I did not get much other response on my request, I'm going to post on what has to be done on the '12 street glide in a few days. I have some pictures of the process of cutting the supplied harness out so no ends have to be installed and no additional wire has to be purchased. These were the biggest unknowns that I needed help with. Hopefully there will be some things useful to others.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »

I would like to see how you do this.   Not sure why the sg doesnt come with a NIM.  Like the ultra does.   Lots of pics would be really helpful.    Thanks in advance.   Stuart.

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 06:36:43 AM »

This excellent thread by Rex LeGalley (legalley) explains everything you need to do. I followed his instructions to install the NIM on the Honey Badger way back in Dec 2011, and it works perfectly!

http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=66425.0

You do have to use the AUX port to hear the XM on the HK head unit though - there's not getting around that - but installing the rear AUX port, as I did, eliminates the need to have a wire connected to the front AUX port on the radio... everything is hidden inside the fairing.

The NIM is only included on Ultras, because they come standard with a 660. Our FLHXSE3s (and also the FLHXSE2s, I believe) have a unique wiring harness for some stupid reason, and the Connector Kit (Part Number 69200033) is what is needed to hook in the NIM.

Due to the very annoying fact that this unique wiring harness on our bikes DOES NOT have the 4-pin 6B connector inside the fairing that virtually all other Touring bikes do, you have to splice into the harness to pick up the CAN+ and CAN- signals, plus radio power and ground, that is normally provided via the 6B connector on the Ultras.

Doing this isn't difficult - but you will need to do it to install a 6B connector, into which you can plug the NIM. I actually didn't install a 6B on my bike, but rather I soldered the wires in the NIM harness directly to these 4 wires in the two big cables inside the fairing. I didn't care about having a 6B connector, because I never plan to install any additional devices into the CAN+/- chain (such as a CB, etc.)

Any questions, just ask!

Ken

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 06:46:23 AM »

Hey Ken.   I think I should take a visit up to your house sometime and ask you to do it.    My eyeballs aren't what they once were  :D.   I'd really love to have a 665 with xm though.    What are your rates these days? :P

North Georgia Hawg

• HoneyBadger Don't Give a CHIT...
  • 2.5K CVO Member
  • I HATE WINTER!!!

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus/Antique Gunstock
    • CVO2: 2009 Chevy Avalanche LTZ Inferno Orange
    • CVO3: 2001 Ebbtide Mystique 2300: 8-ch 2000 watt audio system, two 12" Kicker subs
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 07:21:51 AM »

Hey Ken.   I think I should take a visit up to your house sometime and ask you to do it.    My eyeballs aren't what they once were  :D.   I'd really love to have a 665 with xm though.    What are your rates these days? :P

BRING IT, STU! I work for Black Jack and cigars... Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur #1 Maduro, or Padron box press Churchill Maduro preferred... but I've been known to smoke a ROPE after enough Jack!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 08:18:33 AM by North Georgia Hawg »

HoneyBadger Don't Care...

TD AK-20s | Drago's S/C/S-4 | SE 259Es | Feuling 8015/7060/Rods | Black Ops Lifters
Cometics | Big Sucker 2 | Energy One +1 Clutch Pack | Hayden BT07 | ClutchWIZ
WPW Fans | TL P7 LEDs/Aux | Dynamic Ringz | Tour Pak | WO 575s | RT 665
Corbin DualTour | BAH Flush Front Axle | Chrome Calipers
The Wizard's Tune

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 11:00:28 PM »

I would like to see how you do this.   Not sure why the sg doesnt come with a NIM.  Like the ultra does.   Lots of pics would be really helpful.    Thanks in advance.   Stuart.
On the way tomorrow night if I have time. There are some good posts on this but some of it ventured off into other applications and I guess I am sort of dense ;D There are some excellent drawings but I have to actually see things. I have that in pictures now!
The camera (phone) died while I was in the thick of it but I think I have what will clarify the splices. Kind of slick how cutting the Nim works out.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »

Here we go!
There is no need to repeat the above information. It is all excellent!
I did not find a good description that I could understand on how to wire the NIM to the bike. There were a couple of different ways described. Here is what worked for me on my 2012 CVO Streetglide. I have all functions of the 665 working. It will interupt ALL audio for street directions or weather. ( Ipod, CD, etc) Volume is fine and will change with speed.
When you get to the part where you will need to intergrate the NIM you will have a black harness with several connectors. HD has decided that we CVO owners do not need the correct plugins so we have to cut the harness out for what we need.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »

We need to keep the plug to the NIM box so plug it in to make sure that you have the correct one. Now carefully slit all of the black covering from the harness so that all wires are free. I used a sharp razor. DO NOT slit past the plug toward the box. in fact, mark and unplug it. (Sorry! The picture will be in the following post)
Go to the section that looks like this.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:59:47 PM by brassspike »

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 01:00:53 PM »

The picture that I left out of the NIM connected.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »

Stripping the rest down.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:10:50 PM »

You wont need any of the plugs except the one that plugs into the NIM box so you can cut them out. You will want to keep the wires as long as possible so that you will not have to do unnecessary splices. Look at all of the pictures before you start cutting. Here is the start.

brassspike

• Elite CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 01:29:36 PM »

Keep the bare connectors. They will save you work later. You should have this.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 24 queries.