Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: My Install/Review - Hybrid Audio i57-2 Drop-in Lid Speakers for H-D lids  (Read 15746 times)

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 - SOLD
    • CVO3: 2006 FLSTFSE2 - SOLD

So ...

As some of you know, Hybrid Audio Technologies has been working on a new set of speakers for the H-D factory saddlebag lids. These i57-2 speakers are part of their "Imagine" series and I managed to get a set of "production-ready" speakers to install, test, and break if possible. I got them installed on Sunday and have been pounding on them ever since. All I can say is they were WELL worth the wait! I'll hit what I consider as important points in this post, then will follow-up with the install of the speakers, as well as comparing them to my JL-Audio CX-570 component set that I have been running for about a year. All ratings are my personal opinion, scaled from 1-5 out of 5, based on what I consider to be a pretty good ear for quality speakers. However, ALWAYS try and audition any speaker you are thinking of buying if you can.

One more caveat - as with any quality speaker, they deserve some juice to make them sing. Trying to run these 4-ohm speakers with any of the H-D factory (stock) amps will clearly limit the enjoyment of owning them. My test setup was using  the rear channels of a Rockford PBR-300/4 amp, which is rated at 75w/ch at 4-ohms. This is the same amp and wiring that was used for the JL-Audio speakers in order to do a direct comparison.

INSTALLATION - 5/5
HAT really hit this one out of the park. A direct replacement for either the stock speakers on those H-D models so equipped (FLHXSE2/3, FLTRXSE. etc) - or as original speakers if you are thinking of adding the H-D factory saddlebag lids designed for speakers.  ALL FACTORY MOUNTING CAN BE USED. Mount holes are a direct match, the speaker frame will cover the funky cut-out in the lid, even the factory protective baskets can be used (although they must be cut to make room for the larger magnets). The only steps required to use these speakers instead of factory speakers is to add gaskets to the HAT speakers, and cut the factory protective basket to allow for the larger HAT magnet. Keep in mind that the factory protective baskets are not required - simply obtain 4 screws and bolts of appropriate size and ditch the baskets altogether if you want. Either way, these speakers are the easiest of any speaker I've encountered to mount in the factory H-D lids. Great job to HAT on this!

SOUND - 4.8/5
These speakers sound good - REALLY good. I have been hammering them with everything I can think of and they just continue to impress. On first install, I left the JL-Audio CX570 speaker installed in the right bag so I could do an exact comparison. Keep in mind that the JL-Audio CX570 component set (MSRP $499/pr) is easily one of the best 5x7" speaker on the market, and has been proven sonically over and over again. The HAT i57-2 (MSRP $349.95/pr) is easily as good to my ears. This has been my experience across the entire HAT line - within each of their speaker lines - their speakers will perform on par with the next higher "class" of speaker. The only reason I don't rate the i57-2 a 5/5 for sound is because the JLs seemed to have a tad more bass extension (though the HATS were very close). Keep in mind that he JLs have seen some SERIOUS bass time and the HATs are brand new. Once I get 50 or so hours on the HATS I'm sure that bass extension will improve to match the JL-Audio speakers (yes - speakers need to be "broken in" to sound their best). Regardless, the fact that a $350 set of speakers can be so close in SQ to a $500 set of speakers speaks volumes (pun intended ;) ) Once the HATs break in I am sure the lower extension will be there. I could not discern much if any difference in midrange or highs between the HATs or the JLs (JL crossovers were set on 0db [flat]) - both speakers do a fantastic job of reproducing nuances in any given track without ever sounding harsh, brash, or "tinny". One of my favorite tracks to test with is Fleetwood Mac "Never Going Back Again" - the guitars on the HATs were reproduced with a very natural, warm sound - never sounding "mechanical" as some speakers can. Again - very impressed here with this $350/pr speaker.

VALUE - 5/5
This is a no brainer. Great sounding speaker even if it cost $500. Couple that with how easily these are integrated into factory HD lids, the fact that they are 4-ohm (allows easier design with aftermarket amps), are a bridged tweeter design so they won't leak, do not require external cross-overs .... the list just goes on and on an on. Anyone looking to add some serious sound quality to a Harley Bagger would do well to listen to a set of HAT i57-2 Imagine 5x7 drop-ins. They are available for pre-order now and estimated to start shipping in approximately 60 days.

Pre-order here:
http://hybrid-audio.com/i572preorder/

Hope this review helped ...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:47:09 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2
I've never learned a single thing while I was talking - Will Rogers

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Here is a pic of how the HAT speakers compare to  my "custom" CX-570 JL-Audo speakers originally installed in my lids. The HATs are a little deeper. Since I used the stock H-D bridge from the 2-ohm factory lid speakers, the tweeter angle of the HATs are not as sharp towards the driver.

In use this made little to no difference - I could not tell any audible difference when sitting on the bike.
Couldn't resist the plug for the Maggie Valley GTG  :P  :P  :P  :P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:11:52 AM by TIF2 »
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Adding the gaskets ...

Don't skip or scrimp on this step. Get some high-quality gasketing material and take your time. It is critical for good bass that the mount surface of the speaker is sealed against the enclosure. I use stuff from McMaster and provide a part number on request, just make sure that whatever you get is a minimum of 3/4" wide to cover the mount flange completely.

Simply use an Exacto to trim.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:05:33 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Gasket trimmed and speaker ready to "drop in" (hehe)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 05:12:06 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO Dark Slate/Black Diamond

Nice Rich.  Can't wait to get my set!

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom

leave it to you Rich,  to get the first ones..  i have mine on order,,, sometime in april I hope,,    you better let me in on the gasket material...  what do i need to buy?  ill have it here when the speakets show up,.,,,,    ghlad you like them :2vrolijk_21:     stuart

110tHunDer

• 10K CVO Member

I want a copy of the Maggie Valley CD!  Those were some excellent tunes filling the parking lot! :2vrolijk_21:

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

I want a copy of the Maggie Valley CD!  Those were some excellent tunes filling the parking lot! :2vrolijk_21:

PM me your address and I will make it so.

:)
TIF2

Harleypingman

• 1K CVO Member

Great write-up, Rich.

If you can, how about a picture of the lid interior?

Again, great job!

Carl

JMazz44

• Junior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO Dark Slate/Black Diamond

leave it to you Rich,  to get the first ones..  i have mine on order,,, sometime in april I hope,,    you better let me in on the gasket material...  what do i need to buy?  ill have it here when the speakets show up,.,,,,    ghlad you like them :2vrolijk_21:     stuart

What gasket material do we need?  I want it waiting for the speakers when they arrive so I can just "drop then in"! Hope they come before the Myrtle Beach Spring Rally!

Black Diamond

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 11 FLHXSE2 "Vanessa"
    • CVO2: 08 FLHRSE4 "Lexi" "Bike from Hell"
    • CVO3: 02 FLHRSEI "Ruby"

i feel money leaving my pocket again.   Great write up Rich!

JW

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

What gasket material do we need? 

Here is the stuff in the pic above and I've had good luck with it. It's not expensive but minimum quantity is a 50ft roll :(
Heads up ... once you lay it on it is ON ... you can't lift it to reposition without tearing it and probably starting over. The adhesive is pretty strong so mineral spirits will probably be required to fully clean the surface. This stuff is black in color:

www.mcmaster.com
(Pat No. 8694K67)

This stuff is the closest I've been able to find to the gasket material on the stock H-D 2-ohm speakers included in the rear lid speaker kit. I have a roll but haven't used it. This is firm density (even firmer than the black above) and only available in gray color. I am redoing the gaskets on the JL Audio speakers now and plan on using this stuff just to see how it is to work with:

www.mcmaster.com
(Part No. 93745K53)

Other stuff is available ... this is just stuff I have used.
TIF2

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

If you can, how about a picture of the lid interior?

Carl

Hey Carl

Here is a pic of the lid interior. I had already hacked up the stock protection baskets in order to fit the JLs, so I just accounted for the depth of the new speakers. These speakers only add about 1/8" more depth than the stock protection baskets. I have a replacement set of baskets on order and will cut them a little better for the HATs.

I'll post up a new pic once I have everything in the final configuration (read - looking good :) ).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 03:46:56 PM by TIF2 »
TIF2

JuicedHD

I've been surfing around the various HD websites such as this one in an attempt to help me decide what speakers I should purchase for my HD speaker lids.  I was leaning towards one of the following:

1.  Modify a pair of 6x8/5x7 speakers to fit
2.  Hawg-Wired drop in 5x7 speakers
3.  Biketronics 6x9 Titan II (HAT made) speaker kit for HD lids
4.  HAT i57-2 5x7 speakers

At first I was leaning on the HW speakers, but they will not be from their ZX line.  They were supposed to be released in February, but I have not heard anything from them.  Then I was leaning towards the 6x9 Titans kit from Biketronics.  I was leaning this route, but was concerned with the amount of bag space I would lose.  So I've been waiting to hear updates on the HAT 5x7 drop ins.

Your review and pics sealed the deal for me.  I just placed my order.  I just will wait for a while before I install my lids.  Or I will hack up a cheap set of 5x7/6x8 and install them for a while if they take longer than estimated to ship.

Thanks for helping me spend more money on my bike.....

TIF2

• 1K CVO Member

Thanks for helping me spend more money on my bike.....

That's what we're all here for Juice  :)

:)
TIF2
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 24 queries.